• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2005 NH TY ride

SnowBandit

Expert
Website
www.slednewengland.com
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2009 Nytro xtx
Ok guys my plans are pretty much in place to have a cottage in Twin Mnt this year. I will have the four place trailer up there too. So I like to get a ride together of some TY memebers. I will be registered in both NH and Maine. I know the trails in this area like the back of my hand.. Can get you any where without thinking twice about it. So I say maybe make a weekend out of it. Head north one day and the second day head east into Maine maybe? Who would be up for a ride? I would say about 200 or more miles...

If anyone rides in this area let me know... I should be riding ever weekend in the area.. I have been known to log over 3,000 miles in a season. As one memeber put its hard to miss me... I stick out. Look for the Viper with the big american flag on the wind shield and the big guy riding it..

lol you know I'll be there Bandit but make it Pittsburg... I dont want to drive 4 1/2 hours to go to Twin! Geez Rumney has better riding then Twin. I rather spend the extra hour 1/2 driving and go to Pittsburg and get into better riding.. Plus alot more TY guys ride in Pittsburg.. Just my .02

This ride will be out of Twin heading where ever people want to go.. There are plenty of places to stay. You might even beable to stay at the same place as me... Plenty of parking away from the Cog too..

I'm in! As far as locations...I've ridden in this area (I lived just outside Berlin last year, and I'm in Colebrook this year, not counting the times I've trailered up) enough to know to avoid Pittsburg on the weekends! Trails are great Saturday morning, but by noon they get rough and are terrible by late afternoon. The best riding I've found is between Rt. 2 and the southern part of Pittsburg area. I think Boston RX1 will testify to the kinds of trails we rode...in fact, we had been discussing planning a NH TY ride. Twin is an excellent place to start a loop. I have friends who stay in Twin every season, and a great loop is to head northwest to Lancaster, and up through Groveton to Colebrook, past Diamond Pond, and up to Pittsburg to gas up. Head back down the east eide of N.H., through Errol, Gorham, and southest to Twin. A slightly shorter loop (for those who aren't into almost 300 mile days) would be to cut over to Errol from Colebrook...that puts you in a perfect line to head up to the top of Dixville Peaks, which shouldn't be missed while you are in the area. I think that loop would get you around 200 miles.

I'll leave the Maine trails up to someone else...all I have done is ride to Rangely a couple times. I'm up for Maine riding, I just don't know the trails.

Jim

NH,

THat is the exact loop I was going to do.. Well the going up part. I have not done the coming back to twin that way in over a year so I would have to feel my way back.. I will get back to you with a weekend we can do this.

The east side down from Pittsburg is great...I think its Trail 112 (running off memory...seems the trail numbers keep changing over there) that runs right down the border almost to Errol. Its a great, little used, high speed run. If you want to make good time, its a little more distance than the direct trail, but is usually quicker because its in better shape and has less traffic.

I'd avoid the trails through the east side of Milan. I can't say what they will be like this year, but last year they seemed to forget what groomers are for. I think they might have groomed 4 times all season. The run down the west side of the river is usually pretty good, down past 7 Islands Bridge. If a good pace is kept during the day, you get to Gorham in time to have dinner, and there are several good places to choose from. Then hit the tracks for a quick ride back to Twin.

Doing that loops makes meal stops a piece of cake...Colebrook for lunch, and either Errol or Gorham for dinner (depending on the pace and the length of the loop).

Let me know if you want any help planning this. If there are any problems part way, I live just off Trail 21 in Colebrook, and I have locked storage to put a sled in, and plenty of tools for trail repairs, so if there are any problems at this end, there is a pit stop available.

Jim

Finally we get some TM TY riders. I have been looking for people to ride with every Saturday. I met a couple great people, NH, and Scott Bodie. I would like a few more to make it interesting. I am also good to go during the week since my schedule is flexible. I love to put on a couple hundre miles a day. I should have the setup this year to do it with ease. I am limited for overnights. With three small kids at home, it is better for me to be there in the PM and AM. Please keed me in mind since I am always looking for new people to meet and ride with and now since I am only down the street, I am pumped. I love the Groveton area to Colebrook ride. Thanks, Dana.

Anyone thinking any specific dates yet? As of right now I'm completely open...and after seeing the first flurries of snow, I'm getting cranked up.

There really isn't anywhere to go after getting to Pittsburg, except for doing loops or else riding back south...and if you are going to do that, I'd rather start out from the south and ride north. Less trailering and more riding! (at least for you guys...I live here.) So....anyone want to throw out dates?

It might be cool to also think about a good place to stop and do a few speed runs...one of the lakes or something...just for fun. I have a handheld radar gun, or we could just to side by side. Nothing formal...just play. :flag:

Jim

Jim, what I found works best is to set a couple of dates and let people arrange their schedules. I would be up for starting out south in the TM or Lancaster areas. How about a couple of one day rides 200-300 miles and maybe a two day ride. I am excited about the full day rides. Two days might be tough for me. Let me know, Dana.

Jim, what I found works best is to set a couple of dates and let people arrange their schedules. I would be up for starting out south in the TM or Lancaster areas. How about a couple of one day rides 200-300 miles and maybe a two day ride. I am excited about the full day rides. Two days might be tough for me. Let me know, Dana.

Oh and Twin would have to be the staring point for me as I have the trailer parked their all winter... Hope its buried up to the axles.. ;)

For those of you not blessed by living up here in the north, last night on my way home on I-93 there were small snowbanks on the side of the highway. Not much, but heading up toward Franconia Notch there were little snowballs and snowbanks, signs that while I was south there was enough snow to plow the highway. ;)! We have had a couple days up here in Colebrook with snow on the ground, but just enough to turn it white. I've been getting teased...I want to RIDE!!! Hopefully a couple more weeks and we'll have enough to ride in (carefully). Just waiting for that first real accumulation.

For some points of interest up here, anyone who hasn't been up there should hit Dixville Peaks. Awesome view and an experience you won't forget if you haven't been at high elevations before. There are a couple other mountains I want to explore as well. For anyone into deep powder riding, there are a couple places near Jefferson (not far from Twin) that gets some serious snow, at least for here in N.H. For anyone looking for an even longer ride, for those who have Maine registrations, you can get a great meal and an enjoyable ride at Bosebuck Cabins in Maine. Its not that far into Maine and makes a great ride from the Twin/Colebrook/Pittsburg area.

And so far I'm still open just about any weekend (or for now, weekday).

Jim

Back