• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2005 Rage Rear Shock Help

JP4256

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2006 Apex GT
2005 Rage
Greetings, I am new to the forum and getting back into riding after a few years of layoff. Currently have a 2005 Rage with a rear shock that is no good. Can anyone give some advice on a replacement? I am not looking to pour a bunch of money into the machine, but want the rear shock to work properly. Any help is greatly appreciated. If anyone has one for sale please let me know.

Does the shock just need servicing or is it actually shot? If it just needs servicing, I would contact Steve (@cannondale27) as he is relatively close to you.

Does the shock just need servicing or is it actually shot? If it just needs servicing, I would contact Steve (@cannondale27) as he is relatively close to you.
I appreciate the info. My guy working on it said he sent it to be rebuilt and they told him it can’t be. So I am under the assumption it is shot.

welcome!

that is a steel bodied shock with the snail cam adjusters and is not rebuildable. only the rx warriors and rage used that shock as it is roughly 1/2" longer than the standard 03-04 rx1 rear shock or any of the long travel proaction sleds (sxr, viper, sx venture and vmax). the only upgrade i was aware of was the olin for the rear witch is pretty much unobtainium from what i can see as the one that i put in my 05 rx war (sold to brother) came out of pioneer performance back in the day. wasn't cheap then either. you can use the pro action/rx1 one but i do reccomend using the relay rods (run beside the shock) from those sleds and moving the centre mount to the rear for the best ride. it will work with just the shock but ride will suffer.

just had a romp through the parts book and the vk540 III is the same shock with heavier spring from what i am seeing.

welcome!

that is a steel bodied shock with the snail cam adjusters and is not rebuildable. only the rx warriors and rage used that shock as it is roughly 1/2" longer than the standard 03-04 rx1 rear shock or any of the long travel proaction sleds (sxr, viper, sx venture and vmax). the only upgrade i was aware of was the olin for the rear witch is pretty much unobtainium from what i can see as the one that i put in my 05 rx war (sold to brother) came out of pioneer performance back in the day. wasn't cheap then either. you can use the pro action/rx1 one but i do reccomend using the relay rods (run beside the shock) from those sleds and moving the centre mount to the rear for the best ride. it will work with just the shock but ride will suffer.

just had a romp through the parts book and the vk540 III is the same shock with heavier spring from what i am seeing.
What about the 06 Attack? Is that the same rear shock as 121 monoshocks?

mono shock is not compatible from what i understand. might be a fox float that is close but never looked for one.

another option would be to get a longer shock shaft made for one from a sx viper to keep geometry the same. @cannondale27 might be able to shed some light on that.

Was a rebuildable shock ever offered in those? I never saw one with one. I will say the non rebuildable wasnt that bad a ride when good. Has to be some of those around that are still good? Did you try Barn of Parts?

Was a rebuildable shock ever offered in those? I never saw one with one. I will say the non rebuildable wasnt that bad a ride when good. Has to be some of those around that are still good? Did you try Barn of Parts?
saw a few up on evil bay when i looked. brother and i both had se sleds (04 and 05) and neither of those was rebuildable. kind of glad i upgraded to olin on the one i had to avoid this issue. they still sell new according to port yamaha site but still hyd shock that is non rebuildable.

saw a few up on evil bay when i looked. brother and i both had se sleds (04 and 05) and neither of those was rebuildable. kind of glad i upgraded to olin on the one i had to avoid this issue. they still sell new according to port yamaha site but still hyd shock that is non rebuildable.
Yes that was a good move. I bet they really ride nice with that Ohlins! Thanks Maim!

Really appreciate all of your responses. @maim is the VK 540 a Canadian machine? Hopefully I can get something figured out soon. If anyone has any other suggestions I sure appreciate it.

Is the VK 540 a Canadian machine?
The VK 540 is just another model of snowmobile (utility snowmobile, that is) that Yamaha manufactured and sold (it was not exclusive to Canada) and based on his comment, would appear to use the same shock as your Rage. If that's the case, then that should give you another model of sled to use when searching for used shocks other than just using your Rage.

Have you tried getting in touch with Travis at Barn of Parts? He parts out Yamaha 4 stroke snowmobiles and may have a good used shock.

The VK 540 is just another model of snowmobile (utility snowmobile, that is) that Yamaha manufactured and sold (it was not exclusive to Canada) and based on his comment, would appear to use the same shock as your Rage. If that's the case, then that should give you another model of sled to use when searching for used shocks other than just using your Rage.
Got it. Thank you for the information. I will be searching out that model also.

Have you tried getting in touch with Travis at Barn of Parts? He parts out Yamaha 4 stroke snowmobiles and may have a good used shock.
I am going to reach out to them today. I found their site. Thanks for the information.

Back