• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2005 RX-1 ER (Mono Shock) Rear Suspension repair/swap

Phazed Out

Extreme
Country
USA
Snowmobile
1984 John Deere Sprintfire 340 L/C
1984 Phazer 480
1988 Phazer 480
2000 Phazer 500
2004 RX Warrior
2005 RS RAGE
2005 RX-1 ER Limited Edition
2007 Apex ER
I know this was a regularly discussed topic back in the day, but I still have an '05 RX-1 with the mono shock, and my front torque arm finally broke at the un-reinforced welds. After inspection, the shock adjustment cable is out of place (which also sounds common), and the control rod is out of place, knicking up my track a little bit. Has anybody re-welded these or reinforced them or did you replace with the updated Yamaha pivot arm? Also, how much of a pain to replace the shock adjustment cable? I'm wondering what a dealer would charge to fix this mess up. Otherwise, a person could just throw a whole new Team Fast M10 Air in it, to the tune of about $1650-$1700 after shipping!! :dunno:

When my 05 arm broke (in 06/07) I replaced it with the most current arm at the time which was slightly more beefy. I then reinforced the new arm as best as I could. I think the current arm now is MUCH better than what I could buy in 07 so could likely just leave it stock. The cable is very easy to replace, especially if you have the skid out to replace the arm.

05's had the weakest arms and the softest shock....which is a bad combination for longevity. While the skid is out and it's the off season you may consider having the shock revalved a bit stiffer to help with bottoming out (which breaks arms).

After hearing about all these problems with the early Monoskids I updated my 03 RX1 with one out of a 2012 Vector
Did you have a 121" track? I think in '03 they still used the proaction suspension. Did you have to do modification to fit the Vector skid in?

When my 05 arm broke (in 06/07) I replaced it with the most current arm at the time which was slightly more beefy. I then reinforced the new arm as best as I could. I think the current arm now is MUCH better than what I could buy in 07 so could likely just leave it stock. The cable is very easy to replace, especially if you have the skid out to replace the arm.

05's had the weakest arms and the softest shock....which is a bad combination for longevity. While the skid is out and it's the off season you may consider having the shock revalved a bit stiffer to help with bottoming out (which breaks arms).
I'm just fine with it remaining stock, maybe i will just get the new arm. Was the mono better performing than the proaction, or why did they switch?

The mono, aside from being a bit fragile, is an excellent skid....WAY nicer than the pro-action. I've had an 05,06, and now an 11. The 11 with the mega float seems to be the best combo. I did prefer the 05/06 because I had an adjustable Ohlins on both BUT I never got either shock valved/sprung stiff enough to resist bottoming like the mega float.

The 05 RX with the addition on an Apex seat, pivot riser and the skid updates you're doing is an amazing sled. I absolutely loved mine.

Yes I had a pro action skid. The front mounts need to be changed and relocated but its easy. Some of the holes in the skid line up with the new brakets, there are write-ups here. I can find you some info from my bookmarks if you cannot find them.

I do have an Apex seat, it was on it when I bought it. Then I put the WRP seat kit on it, gives me an extra 3" LOVE that mod!!

I do have to have the shock revalved and maybe the big boy spring put in, thats for this offseason

Here are a few pics may help some are from the old threads The last pic is my sled
Mount.jpg
IMG_20191127_162437958.jpg
IMG_20191212_174051951.jpg

Thanks for the pics. You must have the mega float too?

The mono, aside from being a bit fragile, is an excellent skid....WAY nicer than the pro-action. I've had an 05,06, and now an 11. The 11 with the mega float seems to be the best combo. I did prefer the 05/06 because I had an adjustable Ohlins on both BUT I never got either shock valved/sprung stiff enough to resist bottoming like the mega float.

The 05 RX with the addition on an Apex seat, pivot riser and the skid updates you're doing is an amazing sled. I absolutely loved mine.
Thanks for the info. I also love this sled, just had misfortune at the end of the season. Did you find your Apex seat online or a junkyard? I don't ever see anyone parting out Apex's online.

to be honest I do not know what that is, sounds cool hope I have it lol

What is it and how do you tell?
It’s the newer updated Fox shock for mono skids. Sounds like it’s quite an upgrade. Here’s info right from the website:

RODUCT DESCRIPTION
This shock has a design very similar to the front shocks. The Mega FLOAT shock has more than twice the air volume of the front shocks, which combats heat accumulation. Like the FLOAT 2 shocks, the Mega FLOAT has a negative spring design to make the start of the shocks stroke smooth (less "sticition") for a very compliant ride. Upgrade your current rear mono shock sled to the smoothest ride on the trail.

No, but at least you have a working suspension, Lol

I will be tearing into this whole project in a week or 2. I may need to tap you guys for some more of your knowledge.

Back