• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2005 RX-1 Performance Question

RIZBIZ

Took my newly purchased sled out for the first time today. The sled ran good. The only issue I had was when hitting the trottle full there was a slight hesitation before kicking in. Example would be running at 15mph and hitting the throttle full, slight delay and then the skis come off the ground and the sled really takes off. Is this normal for a 4 stroke, or is it possibly a carb issue? Had the sled gone over at a Yamaha dealer about a month ago. Sled has 900 miles on it. Thanks

how high do the rpms go? when i got my warrior it had a lot of hesitation and 1/2 - full throttle almost sounded like a rev limiter and would only rev to 6-8k rpms my problem was all 4 pilot jets were plugged and the carb bowls all green and nasty looking.

now i have a question for you lol you said the ski's come off the ground are you studded? any performance upgrades? mine doesnt do that at all but mine is a warrior(136") and not studded

RPMs up to 9000. No studs in track. No upgrades. Sled really moves, just not sure about the hesitation. Thanks.

RIZBIZ said:
RPMs up to 9000. No studs in track. No upgrades. Sled really moves, just not sure about the hesitation. Thanks.

could be the jets mine revs to alittle over 10k on hardpack but im not positive im still learning myself ive only been on the 4stroke since october

Should be no dead spot ...just smooth hard pull up to over 10,000rpm.

I have a 05'. Completely stock. Hesitates a touch also. I can carry the skis as far as I safely want to. No studs, carbs never been touched, slides changed once. 2100 miles. The part I dont like is how cheap that dial a ride cable connecting the clicker to the shock. Ice or something shredded that early in the sleds life.

RIZBIZ said:
Took my newly purchased sled out for the first time today. The sled ran good. The only issue I had was when hitting the trottle full there was a slight hesitation before kicking in. Example would be running at 15mph and hitting the throttle full, slight delay and then the skis come off the ground and the sled really takes off. Is this normal for a 4 stroke, or is it possibly a carb issue? Had the sled gone over at a Yamaha dealer about a month ago. Sled has 900 miles on it. Thanks

Something not right.

9,000 RPM is not enough. Should be around 10,200 to 10,300 For a RX 1.

It should not hesitate either.

Your dealer gets a failing grade.

Probably carbs need to be cleaned and synced. Could be clutch related but not likely.

It happened to me. dealer said they cleaned the carbs, brought it home took it for a spin and it was still happening. took it back to dealer made them ride it before I left. Picked it up two days later all fixed. they said something must have plugged the jets. I just think they didn't want to open them up to do the maintenance. It sounded great when you started the sled so they thought they were good to go.

Sounds like a fuel issue...you may want to clean the carbs. I'm betting that you bought this sled used (barely) so it probably has some rotten gas in it which could gum things up quickly. I'd clean all thoroughly and try running heavy seafoam in the 1st gas tank to reduce the risk of them gumming up again until you get that bad fuel out.

Time to clean the carbs. The hesitation is caused by a lack of fuel at low to mid-range. Pay particular attention to the Pilot Jets, but clean them all. When you do, you should see the RPM come back to 10,200 w/o that hesitation. Set the Pilot Screws to two turn out from the bottom. If not, then really clean them a second time. :)

You may want to replace the Secondary Spring with a stock spring at the stock twist setting. Also, make sure that the air-box boots are properly seated over the carb throats, when you are done.

Hey Len I recently had my carbs apart on my 04 Warrior and I did not notice any adjustable Pilot screws? I pulled the Mains and the Pilots out and cleaned them along with all the other orifices but could not find any adjustment on the Pilot screws?

The pilot screws are not in the float chamber. They are located in the bottom of the Carb discharge throat. Just before the area where the intake boot clamps on the carb.

Back