• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2005 Vector Carb Cleaning

Exciterfan

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
Yamaha Viper
Are there any resources on this site to help me clean the carbs on my 05 Vector that I just picked up?? I have lots of experience doing my SXRs and my Viper, but this is my first attempt at diving into a 4-stroke. I'd like to know where to start and what to watch out for.

Thanks in advance.

I don't know about resources but when I had a carb issues on my Rage all I did was remove and clean the pilot jets. The pilot jets have really small hole in them on the 4 strokes. I didn't even remove the carbs from the sled. Just removed the float bowels and pulled he pilot jets. G.B.

Use the "SEARCH" option @ the top of the page and type in what your looking for. You'll find a whole world of subject matter, you have to weed through it. ;)! It's there.

Ditto what Gone Blue said - the pilot jets are the main concern. My 05' went several years without issue but probably due to the change is gas quality has required cleaning the last two years (rough idle). I just did it today to get it over with for the coming season. They looked Ok though. Funny, I was going to start a topic about this - holding a pilot jet up to a light and looking into the end - it doesn't look like a round hole - is this an optical illusion? The passage seems to have an odd shape but the shape does not rotate if I rotate the jet - must be my eyes but would be fun to know if anyone else sees the same thing.

To the OP - as far as what to watch out for... you can rotate the carb rack upwards just enough get a phillips on the bowl screws once you pull the carb rack out from the intake flanges. I usually keep it propped up with a small pece of wood. I do it without removing any hoses - be careful about over extending any hoses - but you'll notice there's one hose that's pretty tight - if you remove it you will have antifreeze all over the place (so just go slow, be careful, and leave all hoses on). Also the phillips screws tend to freeze up and are easy to strip - there is a guy on this forum somewhere that made a hex screw set avaliable that I picked up last spring - just put them on yesterday - much better.

My sled has been sitting for years due to health issues. Started right up with a new battery but the jets are plugged. No power unless choke is on. Heading out to pull the bowls now.

My sled has been sitting for years due to health issues. Started right up with a new battery but the jets are plugged. No power unless choke is on. Heading out to pull the bowls now.

Was wondering what you were up to! Good to see you again!

Likewise! Cleaning was easy but I dropped the hose clip from the crankcase vent at the bottom of the air cleaner. Doh!

Thankfully it's easily replaceable if you can't find it down in the bowel of the engine compartment.

I may have to zip tie it for the snow storm coming today. I'm afraid to ride it without the clip. That makes a quick mess if the hose comes off. Worst case is the two Phazers for backup. :)

I may have to zip tie it for the snow storm coming today. I'm afraid to ride it without the clip. That makes a quick mess if the hose comes off. Worst case is the two Phazers for backup. :)

I was thinking that you should be able to find a hose clamp at the hardware store....or in your misc. hardware collection.

Just asking.....you do know about the trick of pulling the hose off of the bottom, then putting the hose and clamp onto the airbox then feed the hose down to the lower side of the engine?

I can't tell you how many times I laughed at how simple of a "trick" this is!

No I didn't. Thanks.

Somebody posted this trick up her a few years back. My god....how this would have saved so many people from taking days off of their lives. (by keeping blood pressure low and less anxiety!!)

Back