• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2006 Nytro Ticking Time Bomb!

nickleuci

Expert
So posted last year....made a really, really dumb mistake, forgot to tighten the drain bolt on the oil tank and it fell out while riding, lost all oil on the trail.

Did a few oil flushes and the motor wasn't making any noise.

Well after 350 miles this season it's now ticking very loud. I'm guessing a rod bearing or several/all are toast, maybe even more damage.

So my dilemma is do i tear this engine down, try to fix it, or find a used motor to swap, or just cut my losses?

And some other questions i have about this job are:

Can anyone provide estimates for repair if you've had to do this in the past?

Can the motor be torn down in the sled or does it need to come out? (looking at photos it looks like it needs to come out but would sure be simpler if not).

And finally your thoughts on what type of damage best/worst case i may find.

Bearings would clatter/hammer, not tick.

Is it coming from lower right side, under carb #3 as sitting on seat?

I'm thinking timing chain tensioner. Unless it's already been updated to the new style.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Chain tensioner was done. Yes it's a clatter hammer. It's loud. Metal banging against metal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Damn that sucks...

If it were me, I'd find a good engine out of a wrecked Nytro, Vector, Rage or Venture & replace the tensioner prior to dropping it in if needed.

Check with Travis at Barn of Parts.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

yea.... you may try to fix it and end up not so good... a used engine will drop in fast and run great..

Back