• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2006 Phazer 500 wont start

Nabil Nader

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2006 Phazer 500
Hi, my 2006 Phazer 500 will not start. I checked the diagnostics and there is a spark, and I can hear the injectors relays clicking. The fuel pump comes on and there is fuel coming out. But when I start it, it turns over but there is no spark, and the combustion chamber is dry. I cant see any error codes on the display. There is good compression. Any ideas what I can check? Could it be the ECU is shutting it down, or a bad ECU? Please help if you can. Thanks!

Any chance you just did an oil change? I believe if you lost prime in the oil pump the ECU wouldn't let it fire.

Welcome to TY and I have good news for you, 2007 is the first year for this model so your sled is at least a year newer than you thought.

Thanks the feedback! Indeed the sled was serviced before I bought it, and the stator replaced with an oil change! So how do I prime the oil pump? remove the plugs and turn the motor over for a few seconds at a time?

I've only done it once and the memory is foggy but I think it goes something like GENTLY pressurize the oil tank using the line in the airbox and crank. Lungs can do it, don't go crazy if you use a compressor. No need to remove plugs because she won't start until there is oil pressure. Thus one of our extreme cold starting issues is getting up enough oil pressure so satisfy the ECU.

I will remove the inlet hose from the Oil Tank and pour some oil in the hose. hopefully this will do the trick.

Nope, it won't ... as far as I know. All you will be doing is adding oil to the tank. Instead, you want to gently pressurize the tank which gives it all a push toward the pump. Put pressure on that inlet line. I can't get to my sled right now to see if I used the air box line or the inlet you refer to.

Hi Yukon MP, I got the oil pump to pump oil, I can see it coming out when I remove the inlet hose to the oil tank and crank the engine. I also noticed that the red oil pressure light on the LCD Display is not on anymore when I try to start the engine. But still not starting and no spark, and no fuel inside the cylinders. Any other suggestions of things I can check? The previous owner said it was running but not charging, so he changed the stator. Thanks!

might need to clean the ground blocks in the harness or at least check them. known problem area on these sleds.

try starting it by leaving the key on and jumping the starter solenoid. might show an ignition issue.

I just noticed two things when trying to start it. The Red oil pressure light is not coming On anymore when I try to start the sled. It should come On until the engine starts and builds up enough oil pressure and then go Off, right? Second, when the engine is cranking, but not starting, the RPM reading jumps all over from 0 to 20 to 200 and repeats. while I think it should be around 250 when the engine is cranking. Any ideas what could be the problem ? Thanks!

Sounds like electrical gremlins so I would start with maim's suggestion of checking the ground blocks located throughout the wiring harness. Just start at the top of the steering post and look for square blocks wrapped up in the electrical tape. Here's pics of the ground blocks from my 08 Apex just to give you an idea as to what you are looking for.

Blocks.JPG

Block2.JPG

Hi RobX-1, I will start checking all the wiring ground blocks, in the meantime, I found the oil pressure switch to have No continuity, so I will be ordering one online today. I suppose the ECU will not let the engine start of this switch is open?

The red light is the low coolant temp light, depending on the temperature the sled is exposed to sometimes just cranking it a few times will get that light to shut off before it even starts. Your oil pressure light should be the yellow caution symbol

Thanks tknutson58k and 74Nitro . The sled is still not starting. I was away for a few weeks, but will be getting back to troubleshooting it soon. The sled was working last season, but not charging. the previous owner replaced the stator, and it is now within the specifications, but the sled does not have a spark, since that replacement. I checked the oil pressure sensor and as I said above, it is open circuit, but the manual says it should be closed circuit. I think it is a typo in the manual. Anyway, the gentleman who sold me the sled has another identical sled, and he is kind enough to let me have it for a day or two, and I will simply run some comparison tests, and do some component swapping until I find the culprit. Let me know if you have any other ideas, and thanks again for your comments!

did he use an oe stator or an rm (aftermarket) stator? seen on vector posts that the wires are backwards for the pick-up coil in some cases.

Back