• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2006 RS Vector GT - "barn find" startup. Did I damage engine?

Oldblue

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2006 RS Vector GT
Yea! , found my way back to Yamaha after a few years with a 2005 Rev. Had only Yami's for 25 years before that. Just bought a 06 RS Vector GT. This is my first 4-stroke sled. (This is the carbed 3-cyl).

I got a smoking deal (I hope) on the Vector GT with only 1,365 miles on it. Basically a barn find. Had not been registered since 2011. Sled would not start (bad battery and old gas), but it was obvious it was low miles since no wear on track, skis, and skid super clean. It was a take or leave it deal "as/is", so I bought it for $1850 and brought it home. No owners manual....

Although the sled was dusty, it appeared to have been stored indoors or in a covered trailer. As a precaution before startup, I put some fogging oil in the cylinders for a couple days, turned the engine over by hand about 10-15 times over a couple days, drained out the fuel tank, and added 5 gallons of clean premium with some Seafoam, used a pump to prime the fuel system, put in new plugs, and new battery. I also disassembled the fuel pumps, which were already super clean inside with no varnish or debris.

So, got the engine to start, but was not aware that u should not run these without the air box. Engine ran maybe 30 seconds without the airbox, and oil dumped out of the larger hose running from the oil tank breather valve (?) into the end of the air box. Lost probably about a pint or less before I noticed the oil dumping out. Only after looking more closely at the label on the airbox did I notice the small label that said "running engine without all air box hoses connected could lead to severe engine damage" The engine was kind of noisy/rattled sounding when I turned it off. I put the air box back in with all hoses connected, but the motor is still noisy.....

Could I have I have damaged the engine in those 30 seconds before I put the airbox back in?

Attachments

• 2006 RS Vector GT 001.jpg
    2006 RS Vector GT 001.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 697
  • Airbox label 2.jpg
    Airbox label 2.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 164
  • Airbox lable 1.jpg
    Airbox lable 1.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 168
  • Oil Tank top.jpg
    Oil Tank top.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 257
Last edited:

I believe the warning is for those who run low on oil, which with this little time and low volume of oil I think you will be fine. I am by no means an expert I suspect many more knowledgeable will chime in.

Do you know if you had an oil pressure light on the dash? Most of these 3 cylinder sleds have a real noisy clutch so I would not worry too much if it only ran for 30 seconds. Only way to know is start it up an run it for awhile to get the oil circulating. i would be more worried about dirty jets in the carbs than anything. Make sure you don't just start and shut off a lot especially when it's warm out or you will foul your plugs. Other guys will join in who know more than I do. Good luck!

Thanks for all the replies, I really missed this site for all the support. After starting and stopping the machine a few times, I think I discovered that the starter is staying engaged all the time. When I turn the motor off I can hear the starter wind down. After a search on the site I see that there have been issues with the starter relays. Mine uses PN 4DN-81940-12-00, wondering if I should order a new relay?

If it sounds like a diesel, it's the famous clutch rattle. There is a kit that helps some....I had it in one vector and it helps a little but now the 16 grand sidewinder rattles too...lol.

change that starter relay as it will cost you a starter and stator if it is staying engaged like you are saying.

Ordered new starter delay (fingers crossed). Will pull be pulling carbs to clean, then sync. will read the post so procedure. More to come as we wake'er up from a long sleep!

From my personal experience with a snowmobile or 4 wlr that's set for an extended period; in addition to cleaning the carbs, remove the gas tank and power wash it out. There's old ethanol and varnish residues inside that will eventually break free and make their way to the carbs, which builds up and plugs your jets. The pilots will be first to go.

Redbeard - Great advice. Flushing the tank is in the plan too as well since I have to remove it to install copper donuts for the exhaust. Also plan to put small inline filters on the two lines between the tank and fuel pumps.

Back