• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2006 RS Venture won't rev past 6500

joew@siren

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2006 RS Venture
I bought a low mileage 2006 that had been in storage for 5 years. I was told that it was gone through by a Yamaha shop and the starter was replaced, all the fluids were changed and the carbs we gone through. It starts, idles and rides fine. The only thing is it won't rev past 6500 rpm under load. Tops out about 50. On the stand its a different story. Ramps up easily to 8500 and 100mph. I think it's probably fuel related and will start with the tank pick up and move on from there. The belt looks new and within specs although the belt is riding about an 1/8" low in the secondary so it might be a belt deflection issue but I don't think it would cause that much of a difference. Anybody have any ideas?

if it free revs ok, when you rev it on the stand the track is looser, when riding track tightens a little, check track bearings, wheels, slides etc for wear or possibly binding, clean clutches hood with air and make sure the ramps on the clutches are not beat up, gouged up and slide freely

i reccomend a new primary spring as they get weak over time with a check of all the components moving freely. i have had it happen to me on sleds that sat unused for extended periods of time.

Back