• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2007 or 2009 Phazer FX?

The Camp Yeti

Veteran
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2014 Phazer RTX
Hey there everyone, new to forum here so please be gentle lol. I'm not a sledder, or at least possibly not yet. I did several searches on here and spent the last few weeks looking for direct answers before creating an account still to no avail. To get right to it, the main thing is I have an opportunity to buy either an 07 or 09 FX. I haven't been on a sled in probably 20 years or more and never really took into the sport then. The only sled I had which I actually loved because of its simplicity and being super light was an 89 Bravo. When I sold it though that was the end of my sled days. Well, I am now faced with a buddy that has had a sled for a while but has no one to ride with. Being into stand up pwc's, I know all too well the feeling. This has brought me to consider buying a sled. I looked at an 08 Phazer RTX last night and was surprised at a few things that has me questioning whether I want to go forward with this purchase or not. First was the volume of the sled.Granted it was in an enclosed garage, but it sounded really loud to me. My 750 Suzuki KingQuad is probably 1/3 the volume of that sled even though it is a 750 single, Suzuki made the exhaust on that one very stealthy. Is there any way to make the Phazers much quieter than they are? He fired up his Vector too and same deal, about equally loud.

He mentioned a few areas to be attentive to when shopping for a Phazer as well. The rubber under pads for the skis wear out quickly he said, plus the multi-link steering system wears out quickly. Suspension bushings wear out quickly...I don't think I can recall everything he said to look out for. Aside from the freezing up relays thing, I don't recall any other electrical aspects he mentioned to watch out for. I already asked about the famed track howl issue which he said his Phazer did not do so that seems to be a hit or miss situation. My question in all this is, which of the 2 sleds would be the better choice? The 07 is in showroom condition, the 09 looks pretty good too but not nearly as pristine as the 07. About the same mileage too on both. This is all just based on the photos in the ads and ad info. From personal experience, I have seen that some updated models in other power sports that have received design flaws where on older models they did not exist, but on the other end of the spectrum, usually the newer models address the weak points of the previous years. What did Yamaha change/improve on the 09 from the 07? Did the 09's have any new gremlins as a side effect of any changes? I'd really like to get as many "be aware of" areas of concern as possible in this to help with how to impact an offer rather than take one or the other at the asking price. Right now both are asking about $600 more than the blue book value. Thanks for any input you can offer :)

Hi and welcome. I'll try to address your concerns.

The rubber under pads for the skis wear out quickly

Never heard of that one.

plus the multi-link steering system wears out quickly.

Yup, lots of info on that and commonly referred to as Yamaslop. Check the FAQs in this section for fixes.

I don't recall any other electrical aspects he mentioned to watch out for.

For 07 and some 08, there is an issue for melting ground blocks that would be fixed by Yamaha. Info on that fix is available in the FAQ. Not sure if Yamaha are still fixing those for free.

I already asked about the famed track howl issue which he said his Phazer did not do so that seems to be a hit or miss situation.

That's more with the longer and wider tracks. Never heard anything on the Phazers.

My question in all this is, which of the 2 sleds would be the better choice? The 07 is in showroom condition, the 09 looks pretty good too but not nearly as pristine as the 07. About the same mileage too on both. This is all just based on the photos in the ads and ad info. From personal experience, I have seen that some updated models in other power sports that have received design flaws where on older models they did not exist, but on the other end of the spectrum, usually the newer models address the weak points of the previous years. What did Yamaha change/improve on the 09 from the 07? Did the 09's have any new gremlins as a side effect of any changes? I'd really like to get as many "be aware of" areas of concern as possible in this to help with how to impact an offer rather than take one or the other at the asking price. Right now both are asking about $600 more than the blue book value. Thanks for any input you can offer

Technically speaking, the 07 with all of the fixes applied to it is the same as the 09. There were a number of fixes applied to the 07:
- Ground block as mentioned
- Reverse issue
- Chaincase gear oil leakage due to short reverse oil gear pipe
- Snow ingestion fix
- Cold start issue below -20c (no longer done by dealer)
- solid state fuel pump relay (for relay freezing issue)
- tunnel hole close-off
- ball joints
- skid suspension link failures

There was also a recall:
- steering idler arm nuts

For 07 only on some very early models, if it is a really low mileage unit, have the VIN checked at a dealer for an issue with defective engines. Although most of these should be gone by now, a few low mileage units may still be floating around. The defect doesn't manifest itself until the engine reaches a few miles and is pushed harder than usual. The dealer should be able to tell you if it's an affected unit.

Another issue that was not addressed really by Yamaha is failing exhaust donuts. Most replace them with the aftermarket copper version.

These are threads that may be of interest in reading:
Noob phazer Q's
07 Phazer seized
What year is best?
Help me understand the 2007 Phazer/Recalls
Thinking of getting a Phazer
Tired Of Sloppy Steering At Plastic Bushing And Steel Collar

Thank you muchly for the impressive info. I really appreciate it, any thoughts about the exhaust volume? Is there a way to silence it any? The fella with the 08 said he believes the intake noise is more prominent than the exhaust when out riding. I'd like to give the benefit of the doubt to the sled given it was indoors and no helmet on. Did you ever find them to be a little too loud? I'll be checking into those links tonight.

The idea for me is if I get a sled, I would like it to be a 500 or no larger than 600 twin. 2-stroke is fine with me if a really nice machine turned up. I love 2-strokes. But since there's nothing in the 2000's that fits the bill, I figure the Phazer is the only option I have. I'm not a performance nut, not into going fast, I like reliable, affordable, light and quiet fun :D Something that can go into deeper snow and not get loaded down to a point of saying ....aannnd we're done lol. I'm really hoping the Phazer won't make me regret the investment.

Yes, the intake is quite noisy. Don't know what to tell you for the exhaust. There might be other exhaust options out there. Might also be the flex pipes. When mine broke, it gave me permanent tinnitus. While it's running, block the exhaust with a gloved hand. It should stall.

As for deep snow, unless it's an MTX, that skinny and short track will sink in snow like a hot knife in butter. And it's no light weight neither which doesn't help. My son with his extended 144 gets stuck regularly. It needs lots of paddle (his is 1.5").

Hmmm, the intake noise...when you say noisey would you say borderline tinnitus noisey? One of my biggest concerns is getting a migraine from it. I can get them fairly easily. If the sound is like a very loud droning then I should maybe avoid the 4-strokes entirely. My pwc is quite modified with an aftermarket pipe but it doesn't bother me... keeping in mind that I built it for freeride purposes not going in long straight lines. So I'm almost never on full throttle until approaching a good wave.

Getting stuck doesn't appeal to me in the least bit. How much snow depth are you talking to where it will get bogged down? My ATV stops going through snow at about 30 inches of depth. Can this sled in stock form handle at least that?

It's only really noticeable when at WOT but just riding is fine.

Getting stuck is really dependant on actual snow conditions and circumstances. You could have 30" of fluffy snow and get instantly stuck or 30" of nice packed sticky stuff and be fine. In all circumstances, floatation is the name of the game and the Phazer is at a disadvantage with that skinny track and weight. Even mountain sleds will get stuck given the right conditions. Operator ability is also a big factor.

Alright sir, that's logical. I think the only thing to do now is look at those links you have provided and try to decide whether it's a decision to go forward with or not. I'm thinking that the 09 will be the one to go for if I go for it. The blue book value right now on a showroom condition 09 FX is $3600 here, he lowered his price to 3500 but told me all the maintenance he has done to it. It's nice to see a young guy taking care of his toys, so often I see the use, abuse, and flog it off mentality. I guess the other thought is, how well with this thing handle a near 200 lb me? Is the engine going to struggle to get going or do they do well enough to keep within the heart of the powerband? I remember the old Ford F150 300 straight six motors...last for a long time but barely enough motor to get the truck moving. We used to laugh at it and say it wouldn't pull the hat off your head lol. But on the flip side, my old ATV was a Polaris Sportsman 400, it had plenty to get me through the woods and do work with it, it was only running a single 425 engine.

In the usa, there was only an 07 phazer fx. Not sure what it was in canada though. In 09 they were rtx, I think. Just something to keep in mind.

well the 09 phazer rtx had no problem hauling my 250lb + butt around for a season before i long tracked it to 144 to make it an xtx. it hauled my youngest (300 lb) brother around the abittibi canyon loop with no problems other that not being as fast as the other sleds with us and it was still stock other than skis and regular maintence stuff at the time.

In the usa, there was only an 07 phazer fx. Not sure what it was in canada though. In 09 they were rtx, I think. Just something to keep in mind.

the rtx sleds where geared deeper for more accel/snap than the standard gt sleds as i had to gear up with the 8 tooth drivers to get it to xtx specs when i went 144 with it.

That's interesting, he does refer to it as the RTX but in the photos posted I can see on the plastics at the exhaust it has a little dark gray square decal with FX in black...unless it's a Fox decal? It looks like a factory decal to me though, you need to really zoom in on it but it's there.

Attachments

• IMG_20191019_181249211.jpg
    IMG_20191019_181249211.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 256
  • Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 129
well the 09 phazer rtx had no problem hauling my 250lb + butt around for a season before i long tracked it to 144 to make it an xtx. it hauled my youngest (300 lb) brother around the abittibi canyon loop with no problems other that not being as fast as the other sleds with us and it was still stock other than skis and regular maintence stuff at the time.

That's good enough for me. I know I need to drop some slop anyway so maybe this sled will help whip me into shape lol :D

You'll be fine at 200#. The only issue my 250# son had was that the rear sagged. Could have been the springs he had on it. He has a Nytro now since he really outgrew the Phazer.

Yeah, I think you'll be fine with the 09. It has more than enough torque to move the weight. Ask what maintenance and repair work was done on it as talked about above, mostly donuts and steering. Check the reverse works as my son's 09 had a fubar'd reverse gear probably caused by lack of oil.

I know what you mean about kids. Mine, who's now 23, totally thrashed his 09. It's worth more in parts than whole. :(

I will ask about the donuts on the 09. The owner of the 07 must be gone hunting or something. I haven't heard back about that one yet, so 09 it is. He told me a good bunch of maintenance things he has done to it.
-All new bearings and bushings in the rear skid
-New front end shims and bushings in the a arms
-Updated fuel pump relay for the freeze up issue
-Fairly new storage bag for behind the windshield
-Oil changed, done every season
-A new tailight put on 3 seasons ago (other one was foggy)
-New handle bars(other ones were rusted)
-New oem heated grips (other ones were getting weak)
-New windshield (other one was scratched)
It sounds like he takes care of his equipment. He upgraded to a Nytro which is why the Phazer is up for sale. I'm not interested in triples, there are a few of those around here...at a bit more cost too. I would have opted for a 500 or 600 twin 2-stroke but I hear lots about terrible on fuel, oiler gears wearing oil etc, almost all of them around here have 12,000+kms on them too, or they are way over priced for the year of them. Another thing, I don't really want a 90's something sled which all the twins around here are. At some point soon, parts support will become NLA. I'd like to have something somewhat newer that will be serviceable for a good long time. I'm going to go for it and take the 09.

Well, I had to pass on it. After doing some cost analysis the sled life isn't for me. I was just talking with a buddy about what he gets for a season's worth of ride time around here. He said end of December to maybe mid Feb. on average. Then I factored in trail permit, registration, taxes, storage since my initial plan won't work, an enclosed trailer if I need to go find snow and insurance. Insurance is insane on these things. I was quoted 360 a year for maybe 2 months of ride time?? My ATV is a 2015 750 and it's about 110 a year with full coverage. This is definitely not a sport for me fellas, I wanted to get attracted to it, I really did but given the pros and cons it's not a sport for me. Thanks for the awesome info from everyone though, I really appreciate your time. Maybe next year my interests will change but for now, I love my ATV and standup PWC. Have a great ride season everyone! :)

Back