• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2007 phazer fx aftermarket vs oem starter

scientist

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2007 Phazer fx
2006 Attak
04 mxz 380f
98 zr600
It finally happened. Ya i was an avid reader and thanks to all the old vets here for the info like cannondale n mooseman n many more over the years. Read about the starter bolts but cried like a baby cause it was too hard to get to. Figured i will cross that bridge when i get to it. I’m on it. Now what. Oem goes from $311-$427? Aftermarket $200-$250 from what i see out there. So whats the best way to go when you need a new starter? Is it worth it to buy OEM and wait or save a hundred n try aftermarket? Anyone know how well they hold up? Since i have to tear the nose off i would hate to have to do it again. Lets hear who bought what n how well it held up. Best deal? The best i see is from socal for $196. Lets hear before i sink money in the wrong direction

Used? Check with people here and one of our major sponsors https://www.barnofparts.com/

I also tried fleabay to get a used spare but that was a clusterf***. That salvage yard was from Kentucky (!) and sent me the wrong starter, not even the one pictured. In the end, I got my money and shipping back but was just a hassle. (I wound up not needing it anyway since we sold the Phazer and I'm getting rid of the MP)

Used? Check with people here and one of our major sponsors https://www.barnofparts.com/

I also tried fleabay to get a used spare but that was a clusterf***. That salvage yard was from Kentucky (!) and sent me the wrong starter, not even the one pictured. In the end, I got my money and shipping back but was just a hassle. (I wound up not needing it anyway since we sold the Phazer and I'm getting rid of the MP)
Thanks mooseman. I was afraid to go used since i dont want to go back in there again. Figured i have over 10,000 miles and it held up well for not loctiting the bolts so new would get me another 10,000 miles. You really think used would be ok? You know if there have been any starter upgrades or what year would be better for a used starter?

You sure yours failed on the bolts? They usually backed out much earlier than that. They's be rusted in by now. Maybe it's a magnets failure.

BTW, I cheated to get mine out by cutting the aluminum tab that projects from the bottom of the engine which does absolutely nothing. Makes starter swaps easy peasy.

You sure yours failed on the bolts? They usually backed out much earlier than that. They's be rusted in by now. Maybe it's a magnets failure.

BTW, I cheated to get mine out by cutting the aluminum tab that projects from the bottom of the engine which does absolutely nothing. Makes starter swaps easy peasy.
Yup. If i knew how i would post a picture. 1 mile from truck. Last piss stop n it clicked. I held the starter on for a second n smelled electrical short. Towed. Loaded. Mancaved. Saw bolt backed out couple inches. Removed bolts. Couldnt get it out. Tried to turn shaft but seized. Tried harder n it sounded like brushes crunching. Screwed can bolts in and then couldnt turn shaft by hand so stopped there to look at cannondale’s thread on disassembly. I hate to cut the tab n cheat. Besides. Now i can do an oil change. I keep my sleds in mint shape. No rust. Prolly why i had such good luck with this sled. This did cause me to check the harness anyway. No chafing yet. Solenoid clicks nice n fries when trying to send juice to the starter. May find out i toasted it or at least stressed it during testing. But definitely want to change that starter since i can’t turn the shaft after tighting can bolts

Last edited:
25050A01-98E7-4F00-A2C6-02DE8DBA8DB2.jpeg

You didn't try to pull start it? I did when my starter went. Twice! It is doable with a strap (for next time).

I try to use used. Have heard that the aftermarket ones aren't quite as good but can't really be any worse than OEM with the bolts and loose magnets. Mine probably would have lasted if the solenoid didn't stick.

I thought about pulling my belt off my pants to start it but i was on my Attak n just ripped across Sacandaga lake to the launch n got ratchet straps from my truck. Sand Island was less than a mile away so figured just tow it. Aftermarket not quite as good? Thats what i wanted to hear. Been many years since i followed the threads. I remember aftermarket was a problem on some parts but wasnt sure about the starters. Googled for a review...nothing. Searched here and couldnt believe there was no mention of what people did when replacing starter. No review of results. Found online alleged new starter from MFG supply for $89. No mention of where they operate out of. Return mentions a phone # with CST call time so figure its somewhere midwestern states. No returns on electrical parts. No warranty. Sounds cheap but like a fly by nite business. Afraid to go there. Im a firm believer you get what you pay for. So OEM from the dealer doesnt bother me cause i Know what i’ll get n just have to loctite the bolts before installing. My solenoid is still oem. Never had a problem. But the way it screamed like a bull frog being eaten by a snake when i held the starter on makes me wonder if i should just change that too since im going all in. So the loose magnet issue. That would be something i would have to disect the starter to find? Cause im thinking maybe that wasnt the brushes i heard crunching but maybe the magnets? Is that a quick superglue and reassemble? Or do you mean the bolts come loose and the can rotates the green line out of alignment (which the magnets are attached to and become out of phase)

Last edited:
I have used MFG Supply years ago for some parts and they are legit. At $89, I would probably go with that.

Some have successfully reglued the magnets but I think it was with JB Weld.

Thread regarding aftermarket starters:
https://ty4stroke.com/threads/any-experience-with-spi-starter-motors.151808/

This post by someone in Russia regarding the quality:
https://ty4stroke.com/threads/starter-gears-and-one-way-clutch-inspection.150516/page-6#post-1460377

Rick's seems to have them at $225 or you can also send in your old one to be rebuilt.
https://ricksmotorsportelectrics.com/searchymm.php

on the 09 rtx we used an aftermarket from royal distributing as brother needed sled for that weekend. it has since developed a flat spot in it and there is no warentee on it. still works but need to move the clutch to get it to turn over when it hits the flat spot. origonal lost the glue for the magnets. when we get pissed at it, going to put a new oe one into it.

When I changed I put the sled on a car hoist. Pulled the belly plastic, undid the starter mount bolts. Then it was like 2 minutes to pull it out (moved it to clutch side tipped it up and it came out through an opening with a little bit of paint loss) New one went right back in was 1 hour whole job once I had the starter. On the ground I think it would have been impossible to do as I would not have been able to see what was going on.

Kirkswim idk how you did that. Spent hours and can’t get it to hint of coming out. I think i have it tilted the same way too with brush endcap mounting plate up and shaft down protruding between frame on clutch side. Maim: Thats what i want to know. About how long after replacement? 1000 miles? After reading Moosemans threads i can see why i would cut the tab off for a quick change. Mooseman what do you do for a living to have that much time on your hands to be so helpful to so many people? We are truly blessed to be living during the same time span. Called MFG. Aftermarket starter made by Arrowhead shipped from Taiwan. Spi starters also ship from Taiwan. So looks like aftermarket is Chinese and OEM Japanese? Havent heard from my dealer all week. Found out last month local dealer dropped Yamaha at the end of last year. Next (reliable one?) is an hour away. Sent email. No response. Called. Open every other day now. Left phone messages but still no response:( almost thinking i should rebuild the starter myself so its reliable. Thanks for the input. Keep posting people. I’m still on the fence on what direction to go

Mooseman what do you do for a living to have that much time on your hands to be so helpful to so many people?

I'm retired, LOL! I'm also on truck and car forums. I'm a forum junkie and like to share info when I can. Even before I retired, I did it. Pissed off the wife to no end :D

got a hold of my dealer who told me many horror stories with aftermarket (SPI) starters that fail within weeks, no warranties, had to eat the labor on replacements so much so he wont do them any more. Strongly suggested OEM. Told me his price i told him mine and he said he would beat it @ $300. Asked about rebuild parts but he never looked into them but will 4 me. I ordered OEM today with a plan to disect the original and rebuild it for a back up. Hopefully its salvageable and i can rebuild it to a bullet proof state then pit mine against oem for a longevity run. Will post back results when that happens.
P.S. Thank you to all for your advice and posted results. Anyone who can get pictures to show orientation progression of starter removal without cutting or frame dissasssembly is greatly appreciated

kirkswim is my brother and i owned the sled/modded before i sold it to him this fall. he got about a month and a half out of the aftermarket one before it started acting up last weekend. at least 1500 km onto the sled.

Back