• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2007 Phazer RTX - Just found forum and am now terrified

ndlsjk

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2007 Phazer RTX
Hey guys, first time posting here and just wanted to say this looks like an awesome community for people with this sled.

I own a 2007 Phazer RTX that I purchased used 3 years ago. I had a baby shortly before that winter and haven't had the opportunity to really put many miles on the thing. Total over 2 seasons is approximately 700 miles, putting the grand total at 2050 as of today.

This year I have made it clear to the boss lady that I am riding a lot more than past years so I'm posting to see if I should plan on a bunch of investing into this sled to make sure it is reliable or look for a different sled or just ride it til it breaks. I ride alone so breaking down in the back woods is not something I'm particularly looking forward to.

I ride ditches and rough trails most of the time. I get into powder as often as possible but that is tough at times. First thing I did to the sled was plug the tunnel and put on wider skis (Sly dog). The sled came with a fan on the radiator so I guess that update was done. New hyfax were installed last year.

Current known issues are:
1. No crank, sometimes have to on/off the key ~10 times to get it er to fire.
2. Desperately needing oil change.
3. Sometimes won't shift to reverse without twerking.
4. Sloppy steering.
5. One broken idler wheel.

After reading here all day it would seem I should probably tear the whole front end off the thing and check the starter motor and pull all the covers off to check the chaincase/reverse gearbox for oil and leaks. Probably change this oil as well. Maybe install new pipe/grommet combo? I would think doing those things for the first time will take approximately 1-2 days.

What would you guys do in my situation? I own a small machine shop so I have tools and warm space to work on the thing, but not a lot of time...I'm super swamped with work at the moment.

Apologies if this small book just generates a bunch of "you decide for yourself" replies, I just need to get it all written down in 1 place to mull things over and hear some other opinions before I decide.

My opinion, checking gearbox isnt bad idea but probably not needed as long as oil is at a good level. The not going into reverse easy without rocking the sled back n forth can be helped by setting the drive belt height a little lowwer with the shims on the back of the secondary clutch. Pipe/grommet if ur talking about the exhaust, if they are still good just modify the clamps to tighten a little more on the doughnut. I personally change oil reguardless each season but know of a few people who will go a few years especially in our area where we havent had very good winters the last few years with not many miles put on and they seem to be doing fine so far. The hard starting probably has to do with an update ive heard about for these sleds, i beleive with a different relay for the starter but not sure. In the stickys for this section of the forum have links for most of these mods with good explenations / pictures. Also includes lots of info for tightening and upgrading the steering parts that get pretty bad quick on these sleds.

Also should sheck out the suspension too, as u say u ride rough trail alot u should at least make sure u have the updated/gusseted suspension link and make sure suspension setup is pretty good so ur not bottoming all the time and puting it through more abuse than it needs.

replace the starter solenoid and remove and inspect the starter for peace of mind. replace the bad wheel and change the oil. should be good to go for the season once you get it set.

the twerking is normal for reverse to work. with 18000km on my 09 rtx/x, it needed the steering stem bushings in the sub frame replaced. made mine almost as tight as a new one. just make sure all the a-arm bolts are torqued and lock tighted as that is what scrapped the front sub frame on mine.

Thanks for the replies, going to get the front end torn off hopefully next weekend and check the starter/red loctite the bolts/grease/check all other nuts and bolts are tight/oil change/wheel. Got oil stuff/starter solenoid on order and am going to order a new wheel this evening.

What should I check regarding the rear suspension. I don't think I have the updated link but how would I know for sure?

Got super busy with the holiday but am going to start on the open heart surgery this weekend.

Got oil, filter, relay, red loctite ready to go.

I looked at the suspension link and there is a chunk of aluminum the shocks are attached to so it would appear I have the updated link already. Also upon closer inspection the wheel is fine, the rubber is just kinda chowdered up due to the studs running on it. The bearing is fine.

My sister lives in NY and they have 3 feet of snow today!!! Hopefully we get a ton of the white stuff this year.

Thanks for the help and I will try to post some pictures of the process to share with you guys.

make sure you pull the updated link as there is no way to lube the bearings in it. i packed the bearings on mine when i installed it 2 years ago and last year when i long tracked it.

Okay so the sled has been put most of the way back together, just the plastic stuff to go. The starter motor seemed fine so I red-loctited and tightened the bolts up and reinstalled it. New oil filter, new starter relay.

Sooooo lets go back in time 2 weeks. I have had an issue since I pulled the thing off the trailer where it won't idle smoothly. In the high idle mode (warmup) it normally sits at 2700rpm and stays steady til dropping off to approx 1800 for its normal idle. Getting it in the shop it was not holding the 2700rpm steady. It would be at 2700 for a bit, then drop to 2200rpm and die if I tried giving it any throttle until the rpm recovered to the 2700, about 30 seconds later. I thought it was bad gas after sitting all summer, so I added 3/4 of a tank of fresh gas and some seafoam to hopefully get it smooth enough to burn up most of the junk gas in there.

Fast forward to today. Sled is put back together, add 2qt oil and start engine. Runs but is still doing the rough back and forth idle. Let it run for a couple mins, oil light comes on so I shut er down and check the level. Add oil til its in the middle of the marks. Start it back up. Rough idle for about 1 minute then it dies while its dropped down to 2200rpm. Can't get it to fire back up now. I'm thinking fuel pump/filter? Still too much bad gas (a 3 parts good to 1 part bad ratio)? I'm 99% sure I got all of the airbox stuff reinstalled correctly because it is running the same way as before I took it all apart.

Thanks,
Jake

I would start with the simple stuff, new spark plugs assuming you have no fault codes.

Well, it took nearly a month but the job has been completed! She fired up and ran like a beast today.

I ordered plugs on Dec 2, they got lost in shipping somehow, I couldn't get the seller to respond via email or answering the phone so I decided I was going to order a new set a few days before Christmas. Got busy with holiday stuff and forgot, but the set I originally ordered showed up on Christmas Eve. Installing the new plugs was a pretty easy job considering how difficult it sounded. The old plugs were very black and fouled.

Installed new plugs and then it wouldn't turn the starter motor. Dead battery. Dug out the charger/analyzer and it said there was an internal shorted cell. Soooo off to the parts store for a battery. Got back, stuck the thing in and she fired up after like 2 chugga chuggas. Greatttt success.

I have no idea if the problem was actually plugs (they were black and the gaps were a bit oversized) or if they just looked bad cause the bad battery wasn't letting the thing run properly.

I do wish I took a picture of the sled with the seat/gas tank/front frame and skis/airbox etc removed, it woulda been like the tunnel, rear suspension and motor.

Thank you guys so much for the help. I am starting my snow dancing tonight :letsnow::sled1::letsnow:

Bad Batteries do bad things to these sleds.

Starting and shutting in off over and over will foul the plugs for sure, always let machine warm up fully before shutting in down, even when the red light goes out does not mean its warmed up fully, when high idle comes down should be good.

Back