• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2007 Vector will not run at low rpm's... HELP

Benwest

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2007 Yamaha RS Vector GT
1991 Yamaha Phazer II (mod)
Hello all,

I am brand new to this forum and new to 4 stroke Yamahas. I recently purchased a used 07 RS Vector GT. When I bought it it was somtimes boggy at anything above idle, sometimes not, maybe it was heat related? Sounded like it was missing perhaps? it would also idle high sometimes then go back down to normal idle, not sure why. So I pulled the carbs off and gave them a good cleaning. Mixture screws were set at 2.5 turns roughly, spec is 2, so I put them at 2.25 turns out.

Now it will either flood when trying to start it, or it will run but only at high rpms, it is a rocket ship at WOT but wont stay running at anything below 1/2ish throttle, and sounds bad below that. It is also fouling the plugs, they come out black and a touch wet.

So, What have I done wrong to create such a rich condition? How do I fix it?

Sounds like your choke is sticking on
Although possible, I'm not sure. I can watch the arm on top of the carbs slide back and forth with the lever on the handle bars. Unless it is internal.

Also sled let out a big backfire last time I tries to start it.

Needle and seat in the carbs may not be holding, were the carbs really dirty?

Needle and seat in the carbs may not be holding, were the carbs really dirty?
Carbs weren't super dirty,.but definitely had some crap in the bowls, and 2 of the pilots were not great. Needles looked alright, not sure if the seats on these carbs come out so I just sprayed it real good with Carb clean and compressed air.

The pilots are harder to clean than you might believe. Try snaking a super fine strand of wire through them.

The pilots are harder to clean than you might believe. Try snaking a super fine strand of wire through them.
Will try that now, not sure that will fix it though as it is a rich condition. Will also try turning the mixtures to 2 turns out.

Soaking the carbs and jets overnight in white vinegar really cleans them.

The wire inside a bread tie is about the size you need to clean the pilot jets. They are tiny

So I've cleaned the carbs about 3 times now, fairly confident that they are spotless.
The sled starts fine if it's cold and hasn't been run in a couple days, but it immediately "loads up" with fuel. Like it is running WAYYY to rich, like as if I was constantly dumping fuel into it.
My current hypothesis is that it is a lack of spark, could this be my issue? Coils? I have new plugs aswell, but I want to make sure the coils are good before I just foul another set of plugs.
Also one of my coils is missing the rubber boot on the end, is this critical?

If it’s loading up right away that also could be the float needles not sealing. Or float levels set improperly. If the needles don’t seat the carbs constantly flood. A new set of plugs would hurt but I think it would be hard starting if they were completely fouled. You may go they a few sets by the time you get it sorted out.

If it’s loading up right away that also could be the float needles not sealing. Or float levels set improperly. If the needles don’t seat the carbs constantly flood. A new set of plugs would hurt but I think it would be hard starting if they were completely fouled. You may go they a few sets by the time you get it sorted out.[/QUOTE

Needle and seat makes sense, not sure how to adjust the float level, or where to take the measurement from. Yhe information on this subject is a little un clear.

Needle and seat makes sense. Not sure how to adjust float level or where to take the measurement of height. The information on this subject is unclear

Back