• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2007 Yamaha Apex How to grease Speedo Bearing

If you are talking about the PTO Side drive-shaft bearing (under the speedometer gear), there is no zerk for that. It is a sealed bearing. Most folks just replace the bearing. But, ... you can remove the bearing's seal and insert grease using a needle tipped grease gun. Or, .. remove the seal and just press some grease in with your fingers. Or, ... remove the bearing, remove both seals, clean it and repack it. Of course when you are done, you reinsert the seal(s).

The seals can be carefully pried out of the bearing using a Jeweler's Screwdriver.

Once you get the hang of this, you'll probably do it to the PTO side jack-shaft bearing also.

yamahahaapex said:
How often should this (speedo) bearing be greased? At least once a season? If the bearing goes what should I expect?

I clean & regrease the speedo & jackshaft bearings at end of every season. If you put on a lot of miles, might have to do this more often.

If a bearing goes, it's a long walk home LOL

After the walk, if it is a PTO Side Drive Shaft Bearing that goes, you may also have to replace the speedometer sensor as an added ~$80 bonus.

Jack shaft bearing is easy, I've done it but I still dont understand where this other bearing is. I'm not an idiot just a first time sled owner. Thanks for your guys help it's appreciated!

yamahahaapex said:
Jack shaft bearing is easy, I've done it but I still dont understand where this other bearing is. I'm not an idiot just a first time sled owner. Thanks for your guys help it's appreciated!

it is a few inches below the jackshaft bearing, on the end of the drive shaft - look for the speedo sensor

pto side brgs

yamahahaapex said:
its underneath the jackshaft brg aprox 8 inches or so.both are very easily reached by removing the secondary,and shuold be cleaned of water,and greased after every season.i also recomend regreasing when new.a bearing is supposed to be packed with 80% grease,and in 15 yrs as a hd mechanic i have yet to see a new sealed brg packed with enough grease.
good luck D

It's so funny this popped up as a recent convo for me.

My speedo went on my last ride last season and I was able to crawl home.

I've done this on an old Polaris but the first time doing it on an 07 Apex, does the Speed sensor usually break or is it a 50/50?

Thanks!

Mike

It will all depend on how bad the bearing is as what happens is when the bearing fails, the drive axle will have more play and the gear on the end of the drive axle will eventually chew into the speedo sensor. If you catch it early, you can avoid this but knowing you limped it home, there's a good a chance the speedo sensor is damaged.

I just re-read your post and if your speedo is no longer working, then yes, your speedo sensor is damaged. That's generally the tall tale sign that your drive axle bearing has failed. Have you checked the drive axle bearing?

I just re-read your post and if your speedo is no longer working, then yes, your speedo sensor is damaged. That's generally the tall tale sign that your drive axle bearing has failed. Have you checked the drive axle bearing?
No, I'm literally ordering parts now for it as we speak and added a speedo also.

Should be nice and terrible in there when we take it apart.

Tom did a nice video on how to change a track on an Apex but mentions the drive axle bearing and speedo sensor

https://ty4stroke.com/threads/how-to-2011-yamaha-apex-track-change-video.161535/

Video.JPG

You shouldn't have to remove the drive axle to replace bearing but was just providing a link to give you some more insight.

Back