• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2008 anniversary

Carla 123

TY 4 Stroke Junkie
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2015 viper xtx boosted
17 zr9000 precision stage 3
Sold my 16 viper and now looking at a 2008 apex with only 2500 miles.is that rear electronic shock an issue?anything else I should be looking at with that low mileage?what's the fuel mileage like on these?big job doing oil and chaincase change? Overall general opinions appreciated. Thanks

That's not a lot of miles for a Apex, the engine is just getting broke in, just go over the machine front to back, don't have any experience with electronic shock but i'm sure somebody will chime in, your sitting position will be more of a sit into than a rider forward position on the Apex, chain case oil change is easy, engine oil is easy to change but oil filter is a bit more work to get to but not to bad, mileage on mine trail riding is between 13-15 mpg also depends on your thumb, you are going to love the sound and power, glad to see you moved up.

I loved my 06 Apex GT for 11k + miles. I did have issues with the E shock but I loved it when it worked which was the vast majority of those miles. I had it replaced under YES unfortunately x2. I am a big guy and did not have the big boy spring and rode fast through the trashy bumpy trails at that time and would just wonder at the great ride of the mono but every now and then I would hit the bottom with a spine jarring bump.....generally it was obvious what I hit that caused this.
So in short I loved that Generation Apex and suspension but the shock can occasionally be an issue.

Funny, I sold my 2015 Viper and bought a 2008 Attak last winter. LOVE the sled and the sweet 4cylinder sound and power!! Easy to maintain (for a snowmobile) and I average 14-16 mpg on spirited riding.....

NO DISAPPOINTMENTS :4STroke:

repack or replace the speedo bearing if you find rust on the races. they usually end up with water in them at some point. check all the idler wheel bearings as well as they can do the same as the speedo bearing. i got 11000 mi out of a speedo bearing with annual repacking on my 11. otherwise throw on a set of duponts and enjoy once it is set for your weight.

I still have and ride my 2008 40th Anniv LTX Apex, has over 15,000 mi, and never broke or had an issue with the electronic shock cabling. There's a service bulletin for proper routing where I even added additional zip ties and never had issues with a cable breaking like some did with ice build-up. The only issue I had with the electronic Ohlins was the solenoid going bad (no shock icon appears on dash) and had to replace but there's also another service bulletin on how to replace and they are under $100. Had Bruce of Pioneer rebuild/revalve shock and then recently had HyGear rebuild/revalve the shock along with the two front Ohlins. Add @hibshman25 MPS (Mechanical Power Steering) for the delta box and you have darn close to the level of power steering as I have on my 2018 XTX Apex.

I've been changing oil on these four strokes since my RX-1 and once you've done it a few times, it's not really that bad. It can be a bit overwhelming when you realize what all you have to take off when it comes time to change the battery or the oil (windshield, headlights, dash pod, and air box), but again once you have done it a few times, it's not bad. My biggest gripe is getting oil on the belly pan and such when removing the oil filter but have gotten pretty good at it where the mess is now minimal. I have a lift which makes it much easier but then you still have to ensure you remove your aftermarket skid plate, if you have one, before lifting it to change the oil. Now, I have blocks of wood I use to sit the sled on where I lift sled with the lift but then lower the skis and track onto the blocks and slide the lift out of the way. Makes it much easier to change oil as now I can use my normal oil change pan to drain oil into as before the arms of the lift got in the way.

Back