• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2008 MP won't start, Help! please and thanks

ThirstyBeaver

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2008 Yamaha Venture Multi Purpose
Hi Guys,

I am new to the forum so thanks in advance for any help you might be able to offer based on your experience.
I recently purchased a 2008 Yamaha venture 500 multi purpose. The first couple trips seemed fine but I went to start my machine and I am having some issues.

As a back story, although covered, quite a bit of snow was kicked up into under the cowling on the trip home.

I turn the key and allow the fuel pump to run, which it does. When I go to fire up the sled, it cranks over but it will not start. I used a hair dryer to hit the relays, thinking maybe some moisture was preventing a contact with some part that is integral to the fuel system. Still... no luck. It turns over nicely but it will not fire up.

Based on my own experience, I considered plugs but they seem like a bit of a job to check so I wanted to post here in hopes that someone had a similar issue. I have seen grounding issues with other sleds cause somewhat similar problems as well.

any advice and ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Guys!

Additional info from a PM:
it will crank but it doesn't fire... it might burp or fart here and there but it won't run at all.

As luck would have it, I'm dealing with this right now. It started fine and then all of a sudden, a cylinder was misfiring. And now cold, it won't start but just spit and fart.

Like me, you'll have to take the seat and tank off to access the coils and plugs. I know it sounds like a bitch of a job but after doing it a few times, it becomes second nature. I've had a coil fail in the past with the same symptoms. Go into diagnostic mode and check both coils' operation (or just crank and check the spark). Check the wiring to the coils. Could also be a bad throttle position sensor. Check its operation in diag mode as well. Check that the air pressure sensors on the air box are connected their hoses are on them.

Another possibility is the fuel pump not supplying enough fuel or an injector is faulty. Try to start it with ether (Quick Start) spray into the throttle body while cranking. If it starts and kinda runs on both cylinders, it could be a fuel problem.

Hopefully we can find what ails our MP's. I'll have to work on mine outside since my RS GT is currently trackless in the garage :(

Attachments

• PZ Diagnostic mode and codes.pdf
    696.5 KB · Views: 208
Thanks MooseMan!

In my case, I went into diagnostic mode and found that I have codes 22(intake temp sensor or circuit), 30(oil pressure sensor),84(TORS), and 88(short or open circuit in reverse indicator switch)

I tested both the ignition coils in the system test and the machine back fired once on one coil, and on the other coil, it tried to turn over once but that was it. I haven't taken off the tank yet to get to the coils and plugs but thats next.

It has plenty of oil but oddly enough, I ended up finding that the oil sensor was completely disconnected. It must have been removed by the prior owner because I didn't take it off. I'm surprised it was running without that at all before...

As for the throttle, it shows that the throttle is closed in the diagnostic check which should rule out that but I did have the 84 code which I assume is just from holding the throttle open during a start at some point.

I am going to pull the tank and check the coils now. I can't seem to find any noticeable bad wiring in that area.

Any thoughts? Im not sure what to make of the intake sensor code and the reverse switch codes honestly

All those codes from the diag mode are probably those from history and were never erased. You can erase them and get a fresh set of codes if there are any.

You have to see if the coils are truly firing. I'm heading out now to work on mine.

Confirmed. It was a bad coil for me. Don't let the diag mode spark test fool you. Both of mine sparked the 5 times during the test, however, one had physical damage under the boot. Replaced that one with a new one and I was back in business. Used dielectric grease on everything.

And I didn't even completely remove the tank. I still had to disconnect the line and connector but I just pulled it back enough to allow me to access the coils.

Before I took it all apart, I tried to start it and was able to run it (poorly) on the one cylinder if I played with the throttle while cranking. Used starting fluid into the throttle while it was running and it didn't change anything which kept me in the direction of the ignition coil.

Awesome! I’m
Glad you got your machine going.

I was fortunate as well and got mine running. The previous owner said he had done plugs last year but I’ll call bullshit on that haha

In the end my plugs were ridiculously bad. Cleaned the terminal area for the coils with some electrical spray cleaner and put the new plugs in, both coils tested perfectly.

Sure enough, put it back together and she fired up beautifully. I am thankful that it happened at home. I had to work outside too but it was beautiful out today.

Now, I’m drinking beer by my machine happily haha.

Thanks for the replies MooseMan, it’s nice having guys to bounce ideas off of. It’s a new machine for me and it was good practice to learn how to do that.

As a side note, do you know of any after market coils? I also wouldn’t mind getting a spare starter but they wanted 200$ for a coil and 550 for a starter at the dealsership. I’d like to have those as part of my tech kit when I’m in the field but not at that price.

Thanks again! Cheers

The coil I got was from RMStator. Some have said that aftermarket coils are junk (SPI I think) but these may be from a different supplier. $53 is definitely better than $200! I also got a spare for the RS GT/Nytro so I could get the 15% discount for ordering two parts.
https://www.rmstator.com/en_ca/prod...phazer-500-venture-500-2006-2015-rm06036-s318

For starters, pickins are slim on these sleds. I got a used one and have heard that the one aftermarket one that's available (SPI) is junk as well as expensive. One thing you should have a spare of is a starter relay. Get a genuine Yamaha as the others have destroyed a couple of my starters in the past by sticking on. The starter is nearly impossible to replace in the field unless you cut off a bracket from the engine. It does absolutely nothing except be in the way of taking out the starter.

The coil I got was from RMStator. Some have said that aftermarket coils are junk (SPI I think) but these may be from a different supplier. $53 is definitely better than $200! I also got a spare for the RS GT/Nytro so I could get the 15% discount for ordering two parts.
https://www.rmstator.com/en_ca/prod...phazer-500-venture-500-2006-2015-rm06036-s318

For starters, pickins are slim on these sleds. I got a used one and have heard that the one aftermarket one that's available (SPI) is junk as well as expensive. One thing you should have a spare of is a starter relay. Get a genuine Yamaha as the others have destroyed a couple of my starters in the past by sticking on. The starter is nearly impossible to replace in the field unless you cut off a bracket from the engine. It does absolutely nothing except be in the way of taking out the starter.

Thanks for the link for the coil. I will definitely pick up a starter relay too.

Do you know which relay that one is? I had a hard time finding a diagram. On my machine there is an upper and lower level of relays. Two
Of mine have been previously replaced with the red solid state relays. Is the main starter relay the first on the left? I know the third from the left is my fuel pump but otherwise, I’m
Not sure. All the digrams I’ve found are for the venture light or the nytro and they are different than my lay out.

I find it weird that there’s so little info on this multi purpose model. Even the dealerships computer system had nothing related to the MP

It's actually in the battery assembly diagram. It's part #3EL-81940-02-00

No, a bit far for me!

Hey Moose, don't use a phazer or 4 cylinder spec coil on a triple or it will destroy the ecu on the triple.
A three cylinder spec coil used on a 4 cylinder will run, but maybe not properly, and won't damage the ecu.

I saw that it was a different coil so I ordered the proper one for our triples ;)!. Except for the missing retention bolt, they look the same. Good to know in any case.

Hi Guys,

I am new to the forum so thanks in advance for any help you might be able to offer based on your experience.
I recently purchased a 2008 Yamaha venture 500 multi purpose. The first couple trips seemed fine but I went to start my machine and I am having some issues.

As a back story, although covered, quite a bit of snow was kicked up into under the cowling on the trip home.

I turn the key and allow the fuel pump to run, which it does. When I go to fire up the sled, it cranks over but it will not start. I used a hair dryer to hit the relays, thinking maybe some moisture was preventing a contact with some part that is integral to the fuel system. Still... no luck. It turns over nicely but it will not fire up.

Based on my own experience, I considered plugs but they seem like a bit of a job to check so I wanted to post here in hopes that someone had a similar issue. I have seen grounding issues with other sleds cause somewhat similar problems as well.

any advice and ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Guys!
Had the same thing happen today with Venture Lite. Wet snow packed in cowling. Turn key on, no fuel pump solenoid, no start. towed it for ten miles and tried again and it started. Tons of water and snow in cowl. Can't trust the machine in any conditions. Deep snow, very cold temps mean trouble. Going on the block, thats the only fix.

Back