• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2008 Phazer GT Mystery Oil Leak Under Load

killerklown

Just picked up a 2008 Phazer GT for the kid to ride this year.
I was showing it to her in the driveway and notice a 2 inch wide puddle of oil under the right side of sled.
I thought maybe I just rocked it too hard trying to get reverse engaged...
Fast forward: Yesterday I changed spark plugs, changed chaincase oil, changed oil & filter, unstalled Ulmer control arm bushings, and Schmidt steering slop kit let it sit overnight and thought the leak was gone.
Ran it on stand for 10 minutes to heat it up for final oil check and all was good.
Then I revved it up a few times and called it a day. Came out later and the puddle was back.
Wiped everything up and monitored it for a couple hours no leaks. Started it again and revved it up and noticed a couple drops....
It's always on the right side of sled, looks like right at the black cross member , below the heat exchanger.
All drain plugs got new copper gaskets and are dry.
Hoses are dry.
Looks dry around starter from what I can see.
Looking up under tunnel, its dry around driveshaft seal.

I'm stumped!!!

HELPPPPPPPPPPPPP

Possibly a leak at the oil filter. They have been known to have the filter o-ring stick on the block and if you don't catch it and screw the new filter on, there will be two o-rings on it. Commonly called "double gasketing", if it goes undetected the o-ring can blow out and cause a major oil leak.

OK, so I confirmed its gear oil, not engine oil (smell).

Attachments

• phazer oil.jpg
    phazer oil.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 108
If I remember correctly, there is a new longer grommet. Also, you want to loosen all the gearbox mounting bolts in order to line up the oil passage holes line up perfectly, then re tighten.

I opened the chaincase and removed the pipe/grommet. The whole was lined up great. I measured the pipe and it is the longer version. Rubber grommet looked fine.
I am at a total loss here...

I opened the chaincase and removed the pipe/grommet. The whole was lined up great. I measured the pipe and it is the longer version. Rubber grommet looked fine.
I am at a total loss here...
Maybe it isn't leaking there on your machine, but this is usually the spot.
I would still put a new one in, or clean the old one up and put some 1104 sealer on it.

74Nitro I'm waiting on the new pipe to arrive. Apparently it's a couple week wait...
I'll do all new parts + the Yamabond.

Back