• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2008 Phazer MTX blowing blue

Hymanykd

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2008 nytro
Long story short... got a mtx with 2500km for 2500cnd. Needed a bit of work, put a track on it, battery, seat cover, oil and filter change, new shaft bearing etc. Get it all back together fire it up and run it up on the stand to align the track, figure give it a bit gas which is fine, then when I back off I get puff of blue smoke. No blue on start up, steady throttle, or acceleration only when I back off. Change the plugs and they were black so kinda figure that it needs the valve seats done. So couple of questions,
1. How much is a head rebuild, pull the head and get it rebuilt?
2. Is it seats based on the description or do I need to do the piston rings as well?
3. What's a complete rebuild cost?
4. Does anyone do shortblock that I can buy and drop in?
5. Should I worry about it and just run it for now

Any help would be great.

Kinda dumb question when checking oil is the dip stick screwed in or just sitting loose on the top.

No dumb questions, if you aren't sure someone else is probably unsure too.

Sitting loose on top. Apparently I type so slowly someone has already responded ... welcome to the forum, it adds to the fun of owning a Yamaha.

That's what I thought, when I changed the oil and filter I put 2.6 to 2.7l of oil in. Ran it and check the oil between the low and high half way up

Here is a pic of plugs

Attachments

• IMG_0091.JPG
    IMG_0091.JPG
    49.8 KB · Views: 82
Any mods done, breather hose from the oil tank to the airbox plugged/kinked? Those plugs do look like they have been burning oil. I find it really odd for a 2500km engine to be using oil and if it was a mechanical issue only one cylinder would be "bad". I would completely drain the fuel system and start with fresh 91 and a new set of plugs and see how she runs. Next would be a compression/leakdown test!. My plugs at 5000 miles had a nice dark brown "toasted" look to them, as they should. Another thought, previous owner have any premix 2 strokes around? It's possible that they may have dumped some 50:1 gas in it! I use my old Honda TRX300 to "dispose" of old mixed gas and it smokes quite a bit when letting off the throttle when I do that.

Drained the fuel, blew thru the breather hose, can't blow back when oils cap is on, loosen the cap and then it blows thru. Put new premium fuel in, let it warm up, then ran it up on the stand, little blue off the start, then kept running it up and down, 2.5 km on the stand and nothing now, a smudge of black when I thump on. Seems too simple of a fix but I will take it! Sometime on the snow will tell for sure, but looks likes crappy fuel. If you met the two that I bought it from it all makes sense! Never in a million years did I think fuel

Back