• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2008 Yamaha Apex Driveshaft Upgrade

RedRobin473

Hello All,

I have a 2008 Yamaha Apex LTX with 12k miles on it. I am tearing into it this summer for some preventative maitenance and a rear suspension overall and was going to replace the driveshaft as it is my understanding they break.

Where can I get an upgraded replacement so I don't have to worry about it again? Does someone offer machined late model shafts to fit the 08? I read about Micro Belmont shafts but they seem to be out of business?

I appreciate any input!

There's an upgrade available for the 06-08's?
I wasn't aware.

The driveshaft tends to start the fracture under the set screw of the locking collar against the track drive sprocket. The collar can be slid towards the Chaincase to inspect this spot and rotate it to a fresh position without disassembling anything.

There's an upgrade available for the 06-08's?
I wasn't aware.
Basically, Travis will sell you the drive shaft and the outer chain case cover as those two parts are needed for the 1st Gen Apex's to run the longer drive shaft of the 2nd Gen Apex's where the end of the drive shaft sits in the bearing in chain case cover.

The driveshaft tends to start the fracture under the set screw of the locking collar against the track drive sprocket. The collar can be slid towards the Chaincase to inspect this spot and rotate it to a fresh position without disassembling anything.
The ones I've seen snapped/broke off occurred on the other end of the drive shaft and hence why Yamaha lengthen the drive shaft and added the lower bearing into the chain cover.

Basically, Travis will sell you the drive shaft and the outer chain case cover as those two parts are needed for the 1st Gen Apex's to run the longer drive shaft of the 2nd Gen Apex's where the end of the drive shaft sits in the bearing in chain case cover.
The one I got from BoP was from a 2011+. It was shortened and re tapped to fit my '07 without any mods to my chaincase.
2010+ use a thicker driveshaft than the pre 2010's. It also came with extros like my buddy's 2012

I might be mistaken steiner as when I broke the drive shaft on my 08, I thought Travis said if I wanted the newer style, I would need the longer/larger diameter drive shaft and outer chain case cover. I opted to replace the shaft with the same year part so maybe I misunderstood him.

The ones I've seen snapped/broke off occurred on the other end of the drive shaft and hence why Yamaha lengthen the drive shaft and added the lower bearing into the chain cover.
Right, no upgrade for the 06-08 short shaft.
Yes, I've seen one changed up to the 09 setup with different chaincase cover and longer shaft.

A few years ago I replaced my Attak's complete driveshaft and chaincase assembly with one from a 2010+ Apex. Prior to the upgrade I had a heavy duty driveshaft with extroverts installed that I had purchased from Ulmer that worked very well.

I might be mistaken steiner as when I broke the drive shaft on my 08, I thought Travis said if I wanted the newer style, I would need the longer/larger diameter drive shaft and outer chain case cover. I opted to replace the shaft with the same year part so maybe I misunderstood him.
Well maybe @hibshman25 can shed some light on this.

Thanks @steiner for the lead, I have been discussing with Travis and will summarize for some clarity. 09+ shafts have the heavier hex but you either need to have the shaft machined down to fit your 06-08 case or you can use the stock 09+ shaft with the 09+ case which has an extra support bearing for the longer shaft. Also, '09 did not have extroverts while 2010+ do so you need to make a choice there if you want to cut stock track for extroverts or keep as is.

I think @Srxspec could maybe talk Micro Belmont to make more HD shafts if we had like 10 or so. I have two of them as spares but they are really durable and hold up to boosted power amazingly well. They drop in no other mods needed.

I think @Srxspec could maybe talk Micro Belmont to make more HD shafts if we had like 10 or so. I have two of them as spares but they are really durable and hold up to boosted power amazingly well. They drop in no other mods needed.

Micro completely closed down and is no longer. I’d have to find a new source and figure out what “microloy” really was.

Would titanium be a bad choice of material? I know its hard and brittle so torsional stress may not be the best fit. I just want the weight reduction. 7075 is out of the question. I am curious what the actual metal is. I have a spare sitting on the shelf, can I send it anywhere to find out?

Back