• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2009 Apex LTX Questions

engineman

Extreme
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2009 Apex LTX, 2010 Vector LTX GT, 1996 Indy 500 SKS
Hey All,

New to Yamaha sleds this year. Just bought a 2010 Vector LTX for my wife and we LOVE it. The previous owner did all the wheel adds and put on different ski's and the sled is on rails on the trails.

Now it is my turn. Looking at a 2009 Apex LTX with low miles. We are trail riders, don't do any REAL backcounty at all, some ungroomed fire roads etc. So, I have a couple of questions:

1) How will the Apex feel compared to the Vector with its increased weight? Will it still be able to be set up/modded to rail on the trails like the Vector and still allow 200 mile days without me being exhausted? I am a big boy, 300lb, 6'4".

2) Any "gotta do's" on this sled? Skis, hyfax, wheels, exh donuts, etc?

3) How easy is it to get the suspension set up for my weight?

4) Any weaknesses I should be aware of when I look at the sled?

I am a Yamaha lover for many years with their bikes and I am excited about getting sleds we can RIDE and not fix. Coming off of a 96 Pol Ultra and her 95 Pol XLT SP so I am expecting large improvements.

Thanks!!

Steve :-o

According to Yamaha they are the same weight within 5lb. The four cylinder engine is a lower shorter engine which balances the machine better. Because of the gear reduction the crankshaft rotates in the opposite direction to most of the other parts of the machine to help eliminate gyroscopic effects.
The stock rear suspension will bottom easily without more compression dampening on the shock, you are on your own if you want handlebar heaters.

Both feel the same as far as weight goes. The only real difference bettween the '09 Apex and the '10 Vector is the motor. The Apex has about 30hp more.
Easy to set up just like the Vector. Same suspension front and back.
You can use differnet skis and carbide combos. Lots of opinions here on whats the best setup.
To limit hyfax wear you can add a small wheel kit at the bend. Use larger wheels in the rest of the skid.
Exhaust donuts do fail.
The w-arm is a little weak in these monos. A beef up kit will greatly extend the life of the arm.
You should run the Big Boy spring for your weight. I would send the shock out for rebuild and revalve.
The can set the shock for your weight and riding style.
A 13mm sway bar will help the sled stay flat in the corners.
The grips are on the cool side. YamaHeaters will make them hot.
Yamaha headlights suck. Sled Start HID kit will fix that.
At 6'4" you may want to add risers to the bars. An Apex mountian seat will also help you sit a little higher.
THe Vector and Apex are great trail sleds. You won't be disappointed.

Thanks for the replies!!!

One question: I thought I read the "W" arm weakness was fixed by 2009, or am I imagining this?

Everything else looks pretty standard upgrades/fixes I have some knowledge about.

I'll need to look into this particular sled a little more then.

Best regards,

Steve

engineman said:
Thanks for the replies!!!

One question: I thought I read the "W" arm weakness was fixed by 2009, or am I imagining this?
Everything else looks pretty standard upgrades/fixes I have some knowledge about.

I'll need to look into this particular sled a little more then.

Best regards,

Steve

Correct, it was actually the 08's I believe that were changed/fixed but being as you're a big feller, it might not hurt to be reinforced?
Call/PM Weltracer on here about his beef up kits and see what he says?

Back