• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2009 Phazer GT - spark plug blow out

soo_smitty

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2009 Yamaha Phazer GT
Anybody have this happen before? Was riding and the sled started running on one cylinder. Brought it home and took it apart and this is what I found.... bad news is that it also ripped the threads out of the head. Not sure how this happened - spark plug maybe got loose? I bought a helicoil for it - any tips? I haven't taken the head off yet, but was hoping I'm going to be able to do that without pulling the motor. I've also never taken apart a four stroke before - what do I need to watch for? I've already bought a head gasket, is there anything else I would need? I've read a few threads that mention possibly breaking head bolts on these when re-torquing them.

Attachments

• phazer1.jpg
    phazer1.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 115
  • phazer2.jpg
    phazer2.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 106

helicoils can be put in without removing the head in most things. i would use a shop vac and a bore scope to make sure you get all the shavings you can from the tap out.

that plug looks like it vibrated loose as it was not tight enough. might still be threads at the bottom of the hole.

helicoils can be put in without removing the head in most things. i would use a shop vac and a bore scope to make sure you get all the shavings you can from the tap out.

that plug looks like it vibrated loose as it was not tight enough. might still be threads at the bottom of the hole.

There's barely some threads at the bottom of the hole - enough for a tap to catch, but not enough for the spark plug to thread in

Good news it the plug looks fully intact, First time I've seen this on a Phazer (fixed a few 5.4L fords!) If it was my sled I'd pull the head to make sure everything looks good, and port it!

Back