• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2009 venture lite not charging battery

Mattcull

Veteran
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2009 Yamaha venture lite
So I read a few other threads in here but just looking for confirmation. My venture lite 2009 is not charging my battery adequately. When I unplug the lights the voltage when running, to the battery is 14, but when lights are plugged in it’s barely charging the battery if at all. From what I read this is an issue with my voltage rectifier/regulator correct? How do

Could also be the stator not putting out enough power. The headlights are the biggest load so if it's marginal, the lights might be sucking everything out of it. And like you said, it could be the regulator. You'll have to test it and the stator.

As a follow up, I did the diode test and I think all
Is good, it’s also outputting around 15v (the regulator/rectifier that is). So then why isn’t that voltage reaching the battery and yet it I unhook the lights I get 14 v at the battery

Could also be the stator not putting out enough power. The headlights are the biggest load so if it's marginal, the lights might be sucking everything out of it. And like you said, it could be the regulator. You'll have to test it and the stator.
I tested the regulator/rectifier it seems ok. Diode test was good and it’s putting out over 15volts

14v to the battery is perfect. What does it read with the lights on with the engine running at 5000 RPM? The manual has a whole troubleshooting chart and testing for the charging system.

14v to the battery is perfect. What does it read with the lights on with the engine running at 5000 RPM? The manual has a whole troubleshooting chart and testing for the charging system.
With the lights on I get high to mid 12, with lights off I get high 13

Those numbers aren't the best but not bad. Is your battery getting charged up enough? How old is the battery? I'd check the stator for proper resistance, shorts and shorts to ground.

Those numbers aren't the best but not bad. Is your battery getting charged up enough? How old is the battery? I'd check the stator for proper resistance, shorts and shorts to ground.
On a multiple day trip when I can’t get it on the battery tender it looses its power. But I have hand warmers and phone plugged in along with the lights ....
I’m wondering if going to led lights might make enough of a difference?

How old is the battery? Sounds like it's pooched.

How old is the battery? Sounds like it's pooched.
Not sure how old it is. Could be original. I guess buying a new one would def a way to go hey.. eliminate that.

so it could be that the regulator rectifier is sending the power but the battery isn’t accepting it? But how come it does when lights are unplugged ? I don’t understand the science behind it all.

That's exactly what the manual calls for. If the battery is shorted internally, it can pull the voltage down and sucking all the power, which is also not good for your stator and can burn it out.

That's exactly what the manual calls for. If the battery is shorted internally, it can pull the voltage down and sucking all the power, which is also not good for your stator and can burn it out.
K then new battery it is.

So basically what your saying is that the battery will take the volts but not release enough volts to power everything. ?

Exactly. You should still check your stator.

Exactly. You should still check your stator.
Ya I was just reading another post similar to mine, turns out for him he has to replace the stator. I guess I check the three wires coming from the stator and see what kind of volts I’m Getting? How do I do that? Can I have a bad stator but still get 14.7 volts coming out?

Back