• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2010 Phazer performance upgrades?

Woody255

Extreme
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
Vmax4's
What are the common performance upgrades on the 4 stroke Phazers? I have a 2010 with Excel exhaust, otherwise totally stock. It is revving out to 12,300. I'm assuming it's losing HP at that high of RPM but I can't find factory spec....seen somewhere the suggestion was 11,400?
Anyone with experience of swapping out the Phazer secondary to Nytro/Apex style for tunability? Thanks

I have Ulmers airbox mod and clutch kit on my 09 with stock exhaust. The airbox mod is worth about 2-3 hp, and the clutch kit provides more response and keeps the rpm within the correct range. 12,300 is definitely on the high side of the range. I believe a good rpm is around 11,400 as you stated. Its been several years since I've seen a dyno chart.

Those 2 mods, while effective, can only improve an 80hp machine so much. Guys that wanted way more performance were going s/c or turbo which, is obviously much more expensive to implement effectively. And the MPI s/c has been discontinued for several years. Turbo's are still available.

There's really no need to go to a heavy duty secondary when running stock power levels. Its true there are more tuning parts available but, it really isn't necessary once the stock clutching is dialed in. I've been running the recommended setup from Ulmer on my kit and have never had a reason to change it. The heavy duty secondary change was more for the guys who were running forced induction.

Thanks very much Macheater, as for the airbox mod...similar to an Apex mod with bullseyes? What did Ulmers clutch kit include? This is my sons Phazer, and certainly won't be going with any SC/Turbo. Thanks again.

It's been several years since I installed those items so I'd have to go dig out the paper-work that I got with the clutch kit. It definitely had different weights for the primary and a spring for the secondary. Not sure about the rest.

Airbox mod was the inlet area opened up. Can't remember it having bullseyes but don't wanna say for sure. It was only slightly louder than the stock airbox.

If you ever want to run the newer style secondary you would need to find a used one from 95-96 500/600.
But I agree with macheater there is really no need to unless yours is high miles and worn out.

If you ever want to run the newer style secondary you would need to find a used one from 95-96 500/600.
But I agree with macheater there is really no need to unless yours is high miles and worn out.

Is the old 500-600 Vmax style a direct fit?

I changed to new style secondary after the clip sheared off splines on my stock one. Other than that know issue no real benefit like these guys said.

Swapped all mine to the newer style secondary after having the clip fail on a trip on one. Can use most any of the 97+ secondary's. Just need to knock 1.25" of the splines out of the backside and trim a spacer and grab a bolt at the hardware store. 1st one I did in the shop with a drill bit and a grinding stone. The other two had a machinist do for me on the lathe. That is definitely the way to go

Clip just about failed on my secondary also, I got my new style off a 96' 600, direct bolt on if you get the spacer with it too. Back shift is greatly improved if you ride powder at all, Stock secondary had my RPMS dropping by 800rpm when dropping into powder, only loose 300-400 with the new style. Anything over 11,5oo is loosing HP, shoot for 11,200-11,300 for best mileage and HP really doesn't drop off until under 10,700rpm

Thanks a lot for the info. I have a few spare secondary's from the 500-600 Vmax era kicking around. I might give it a shot.

Back