• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2010 Vector GT setup...need some pointers

Budweiser

TY 4 Stroke Junkie
Buddy of mine has a 2010 Vector GT that he is not happy with the ride. He is a lifetime Yamaha guy and does not want to change brands but we just rode 1100 miles in Quebec and he rode his wifes 05 Sabercat. (his brother rode the Vector) He was very happy with the ride of the Sabercat. In his words, "going from the Sabercat to the Vector is like going from a Cadillic ride to a sportscar ride." This is the first time in 30 years he may be considering a different manufacturer....

I have the sled now doing maintenance on it and want to set it up for him better. The sled has massive ski pressure also. Much more than than my Attak.

What do you guys reccomend? Right now the limiter strap is in its longest position, the shock spring is stock and has been tightend down to the 3rd clip. He weighs around 210 geared up. He wants a plush ride. He's about 55 years old and is no mogul basher! Sled has stock Yamaha skis with 4-inch carbides. This is all dealer setup.

He is also thinking aftermarket rear suspension.

Do the 2010 rear shocks need to be revalved? I'll be calling Bruce at Pioneer tomorrow for some advice also.

One last question, what do you guys see for gas mileage on these sleds? His does not seem to be much better than my Attak. For example, at one fill up, I took $31.00 and he took $27.00. That is about the norm and my Attak is just like any other.

Thanks for any advise!! Lets keep this guy on a Yamaha!!!!

On a 480 mile weekend the fuel milage of the 2010 was about the same as the 08 vect. and 05 Rage with the 973cc carbed motor.
On my 08 mono shock there are 3 clip positions as well as the stepped pre load adjustment collar....@ 240# I have mine set in the second clip position and 3rd step of pre-load and 1" set in.

Sounds like with the spring on the 3rd clip,(stiffest possible)...that 2010 has too much spring pressure for a 210# rider.
It might have been done to eliminate bottoming, but it will make for a harsh or springy ride depending on RA adjustment.
He needs the spring set to the softest setting for starters, then adjust the RA from there and THEN look into re valving if he still is not good with the ride.

snoway, Where do u find the 3 clip positions on the shock? I pulled the spring back on my 2010 to see if the top collar had said clip but saw nothing! BUD! Have my pre load at 3 off soft, weigh 210 suited, then use RA to adj. after. I run the front shock spring with no pressure at all, the springs just touch the collar. Using Stud boy Duce bars, 9" carbides on stock skis. limiter strap up 1 from stock.

The 3 clip positions are on the shock. Maybe you can't see them if its set on soft? You need a spring compressor to move it...I think. I've always had the dealer do it.

OK let me clarify,....MY 08 has three clip positions, and I assume the 10 is the same.
And what Budweiser said is correct, you can't see it,.... you either need your own spring comp. or have the dealer do it.
they are set in the softest pos. from the factory so if you bought it new or know the history, it should be still at that setting.

Yamaha firmed up the 2010 mono shock suspensions considerably. So set up with instructions from older mono's result in way too firm a setup. In fact some riders have had to go to a softer spring to get the desired softness and adjustability.

I have looked in my repair manual to see where these 3 positions are, in front of shock or behind the pre load collar. It shows nothing. I have pulled the top of the spring down 2" so the collar is all afloat , did not see any clip! Does any have a picture of the 2010 shock showing 3 clips slots. Thanks

Riyamaha - Its not really a clip, it looks like a groove in the shock. Goes all around. If you have compressed your shock 2 inches you should be able to see them. I can take a pic for you when my shock gets back.

I ended up sending the shock to Pioneer. Bruce said he can adjust so its really soft on any small bumps and will harden as they get larger. The sled was also set for no transfer, which would account for the massive ski pressure and wagging rear end!!! I set it for 1/2.

RIYAMAHA said:
I have looked in my repair manual to see where these 3 positions are, in front of shock or behind the pre load collar. It shows nothing. I have pulled the top of the spring down 2" so the collar is all afloat , did not see any clip! Does any have a picture of the 2010 shock showing 3 clips slots. Thanks

BOTTOM OF PAGE ONE....
http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php? ... ng&start=0

Back