• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2010 Venture GT Suspension Setup

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2010 Yamaha Venture GT
Just thought I would post to help anyone with setup of the suspension on this machine. Bought it from the original owner who never adjusted anything on the suspension and had original ski's & carbides (I had them sharpened prior to first ride). First ride I was white knuckling it at 40kph because it felt so tippy and horrible tracking. Here is what I did to fix it:

1. Set limiter straps to 2nd hole (was in first hole).
2. While lifted set skid shock to have 1/4" free play.
3. Set front shock to have 1.75" sag (2.125" between nuts) [1.75" measured from weight resting on ski to when skis just come off the ground).
4. Rear preload set to "S" on both sides.
5. Clickers set to 6 everywhere.
6. Added Snowtrackers.

Can now run down trails with one hand and can comfortably ride over 120kph. I am 190lbs - not saying this is the perfect setup, but a great place to start if you need a suggestion. Hope it helps save someone time.

Yes, i lifted the sled to take all the weight off the skid shock, then backed off the adjustment nuts on the skid shock so a gap existed on the spring. Wasnt enough room for the top spring holder to come out. For clarity, when resting back down- no slack on skid shock.

Yes, i lifted the sled to take all the weight off the skid shock, then backed off the adjustment nuts on the skid shock so a gap existed on the spring. Wasnt enough room for the top spring holder to come out. For clarity, when resting back down- no slack on skid shock.

Thanks, I always thought that was a "no no" on any shock?

Could be, im not an expert just messing around with settings that seem to work. Any shock experts that can confirm if i should leave 0 gap?

i usually set the front rear suspension shock so that the spring is stiff to turn by hand. brother lost the washer on one as his backed off.

Just thought I would post to help anyone with setup of the suspension on this machine. Bought it from the original owner who never adjusted anything on the suspension and had original ski's & carbides (I had them sharpened prior to first ride). First ride I was white knuckling it at 40kph because it felt so tippy and horrible tracking. Here is what I did to fix it:

1. Set limiter straps to 2nd hole (was in first hole).
2. While lifted set skid shock to have 1/4" free play.
3. Set front shock to have 1.75" sag (2.125" between nuts) [1.75" measured from weight resting on ski to when skis just come off the ground).
4. Rear preload set to "S" on both sides.
5. Clickers set to 6 everywhere.
6. Added Snowtrackers.

Can now run down trails with one hand and can comfortably ride over 120kph. I am 190lbs - not saying this is the perfect setup, but a great place to start if you need a suggestion. Hope it helps save someone time.
gosh I wish I had clickers! The TF has none--and all the same problems. SO what can I do? I have done to get that SAG height down in the front and back? How do you adjust the ski springs--no spanner wrench and how much ? another suggestion with no clicker shocks?

hammer and screw driver work for adjusting the shocks. see post in other thread for how much.

Back