• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2011 Apex eps failure, diagnostic mode not working

viperaddict

VIP Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2003 viper w/monoshock and simmons skis
2011 apex SE
On my 2011 Apex I've been having the eps go on and off. Happened last winter and it always seemed to be when the sled was running hot in marginal conditions and when I had the nose cone bag installed. Took out the bag, had good snow and problem went away. Fast forward to now. We finally have rideable snow so I took the sled out for a quick ride, about 1.5 miles into the woods and back to check conditions. I'm getting the handlebar shudder followed by the eps light coming on. I cleaned an the connectors and the light went out. Another test ride, exact same thing happens. I tried to run the diagnostic mode but it will NOT show any codes. No flashing light, nothing. Thoughts? Where should I start?

Nobody ever had the diagnostic mode not work?

i have not had to use it yet.

On my 2011 Apex I've been having the eps go on and off. Happened last winter and it always seemed to be when the sled was running hot in marginal conditions and when I had the nose cone bag installed. Took out the bag, had good snow and problem went away. Fast forward to now. We finally have rideable snow so I took the sled out for a quick ride, about 1.5 miles into the woods and back to check conditions. I'm getting the handlebar shudder followed by the eps light coming on. I cleaned an the connectors and the light went out. Another test ride, exact same thing happens. I tried to run the diagnostic mode but it will NOT show any codes. No flashing light, nothing. Thoughts? Where should I start?
I’ve got the exact same issue with my 2014. Except we were riding in frigid conditions spoke with a guy who replaced the motor and module with no change on his. To me it feels like a relay spazzing out just need to find where it is if it has one. Relays are cheap to replace for a try.

I would clean the connections really good and out some diametric grease. If there is no codes most likely some other issue not directly with the system. Does the EPS light stay on ? Did you have service manual?

Shuttering sounds to me the EPS may be kicking in and out. Snow conditions doesn't matter. Slow speed with excessive turning can heat up them motor, but the EPS is supposed to be less effective in that condition to keep from overheating.
Since you cleaned the connections make sure they seem to be tight. Dielectric grease is a good idea along with the relay, which could be kicking in and out.. It sounds like an electrical issue. Not sure if a battery that's not fully charged would have an effect on the system...
There is a 40.0 A fuse for the eps. (right side engine cover beside the key/starter). Maybe just replace it. Or at least check that connection too for corrosion...
It also seems to be a common occurence in very cold weather. Once it warms up the issue seems to go away... Think -15F or so....

Last edited:
I would clean the connections really good and out some diametric grease. If there is no codes most likely some other issue not directly with the system. Does the EPS light stay on ? Did you have service manual?
I did just that, but was unaware of there being a relay. When the bars would twitch, the eps light would pop on. Once the light was on, the twitching in there bars stopped and the eps was not working any longer. I had a service manual hard copy, but lent it to a family friend and don't have access at the moment

Shuttering sounds to me the EPS may be kicking in and out. Snow conditions doesn't matter. Slow speed with excessive turning can heat up them motor, but the EPS is supposed to be less effective in that condition to keep from overheating.
Since you cleaned the connections make sure they seem to be tight. Dielectric grease is a good idea along with the relay, which could be kicking in and out.. It sounds like an electrical issue. Not sure if a battery that's not fully charged would have an effect on the system...
There is a 40.0 A fuse for the eps. (right side engine cover beside the key/starter). Maybe just replace it. Or at least check that connection too for corrosion...
It also seems to be a common occurence in very cold weather. Once it warms up the issue seems to go away... Think -15F or so....
Battery is fully charged, and I put dielectric grease on the 40a fuse as well. Sled lives at 55* in my garage

I took it out for a short 30 miles ride yesterday, light was on the entire time, eps never worked once. No shuddering in the bars this time around. And it was in a heated garage before I left

So the bar shutters when the light blinks? The power steering is kicking on and off... . Sounds like whatever was going bad finally conked out....

There must be a way to check the EPS with a multimeter. Electrical issues suck...

So the bar shutters when the light blinks? The power steering is kicking on and off... . Sounds like whatever was going bad finally conked out....
It would twitch. Then when it stopped twitching the light would come on and eps would be dead. I agree, whatever was acting up finally died. Just strange I can't pull a code

Well, I fixed it. Feel a little stupid, one of the connectors worked loose. Guessing diagnostics wouldn't work because there was no signal at all to the controller. Either way, everything is cleaned, dielectric grease on all connectors, and now I am sure things are TIGHT thanks for the help everyone!

Well, I fixed it. Feel a little stupid, one of the connectors worked loose. Guessing diagnostics wouldn't work because there was no signal at all to the controller. Either way, everything is cleaned, dielectric grease on all connectors, and now I am sure things are TIGHT thanks for the help everyone!
Awesome!! Had a feeling. EPS has had very few problems. Glad you all set!!

Awesome!! Had a feeling. EPS has had very few problems. Glad you all set!!
Yup, just strange how it happened on and off last winter as well. I know the previous owner (family friend) had to replace something a few years back. Unsure what, and he passed away so I won't know. Just made me nervous something was failing again! Thanks again!

Back