• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2011 Apex gearing...

What gearing and or mods were you running to get 119 GPS? What RPM were you turning at full shift? That's a good speed you've layed down. We're those results repeatable with any consistency?

What gearing and or mods were you running to get 119 GPS? What RPM were you turning at full shift? That's a good speed you've layed down. We're those results repeatable with any consistency?
23/38 ram air, clutching and 10800 rpm and 15 degrees out. Consistent when cold out. So with that being said the newer Apex is not capable of 120s? I better keep the 08?

Last edited:
In equal states of tune, there is no reason a newer '11 + Apex would be slower than the '08 you have. Will it be a lot faster? I don't think so. Either way I don't regret moving from my '06 to my '11. Not for one second.

In equal states of tune, there is no reason a newer '11 + Apex would be slower than the '08 you have. Will it be a lot faster? I don't think so. Either way I don't regret moving from
In equal states of tune, there is no reason a newer '11 + Apex would be slower than the '08 you have. Will it be a lot faster? I don't think so. Either way I don't regret moving from my '06 to my '11. Not for one second.
Thank you for the advice. It will be nice to have power steering and a better ride.

Gearing down abit a lot of times when clutched right will have better top end 23-38 will show consistently 116 mph on gps when geared to low you will spin your gears away and be slower

What are you looking to change with the sled by switching out the primary spring?
What did it accomplish on your '06?

I went to 23/38 from the stock 24/38 in the 06. When geared down I had better holeshot,midrange and top end. Went with a lighter preload,rate and total force than stock and it was a different beast. For some reason the shorter track Apex come over geared as opposed to their long track brothers. I don't necessarily want to change primary spring i just wanted to know if any had done the gear change and had changed the spring and how it compared to just the gear change.

Lakecityapex. Did you change your primary spring? I moved from an 06 to an 11 last year. I am going to gear it down to 23/37. I had 23/38 with white pink white primary. It did evrything well also.
IBrekinbarrrs: I did when I put ulmers clutch kit in it. I'm not sure what color the primary spring is. I'm going to use the 23/37 gearing as well. the 23/37 work great in 08.

Last edited:
I know gearing down one tooth I could turn a gram more weight in middle but I have a team tied secondary might react different than stock clutch

22/38 will give you 112-114 depending on belt..
This is the best for trail riding
you'll never pull 24/38, 24/37 or 23/37 on the trail...(=wasted effort)
I was geared at 23/39 and went by a stock geared apex in snow(he at 91mph, me at 104mph! - That's not a creep by - it's a fly by!)
For reference - I ran an F1100 turbo for 2000' twice and beat him!
All stock Apex's are geared wrong big time! There not even close!
Buy the chain and buy 22/38, unless your really worried that one person on the one perfect day might beat the one time in the year...anything else is wasted money! Or at the end of the year use 23/38 for 118mph top speed! This is probably as much as most best sleds, best tuned will run....Yes there are a few exceptions if you are the praying mantice type that anxiously waits for the perfect day, perfect conditions, tail wind etc..

is this still your opinion on a 128" track? thanks

Where is a good place to buy chain and gears??
Where is a good place to buy chain and gears??
Hi.
2012 apex xtx.
Changed gears to 22/38
Studded track 2-4 pattern equaling 172 studs.
Ulmer Clutch Kit:
The STM 60YS Supertip Weights configuration setup question to all the folks on the Yamaha Forum.
The weights setup with this gearing???
The Ulmer setup was produced negative results with 6/1 twist and 1 Tungsten Heel (7 grams) / 0 Mid / 1 Washer Tip (1 gram).
My plan this year 6/2 twist and 1 Tungsten and 2 Washers (9 grams) Heel / 2 Washers (2 grams) Mid / 0 Tip.
I'm a trail rider in Minnesota average speed cruising around 25-75 mph, but with my fast riding friends anytime we get to fields or lakes we race!!
All recommendations welcomed....

Back