• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2011 apex se shock upgrades??

BETHEVIPER

Lifetime Member
Shopping for next year. My se has float 2 fronts. Any reviews of the hygear exterior chambers? Worth the money? Do they need a revalve to work correctly?

How is the mega float in the rear?

And what are the upgrades to make it better?

Almost anything is better than the Mega Float. Even a re valved factory KYB is better. Add a multi rate from BoP and its even better.
Heard good things about Hygear. I like my GYTRs up in the front.

I thought the mega float was good once hygear put the volume reducer in it. And the extra volume up front were way better than stock.

The best Mono ride I’ve felt to date has been a decently valved KYB with a weight appropriate BOP dual rate spring on it. I took a lot of swings at an Ohlins on two seperate 136 GT’s, never seemed to work as well as I wanted. My Dad rides a fully Elka suspended Vec LTX and thinks his previous Vec LTX with a BOP dual rate with revalved stock shock worked better as well. There’s no reason higher end stuff shouldn’t work just as well or better, but I’ve yet to hit the bullseye with any of it.

Get a set of GYTR front shocks from an earlier Apex and replace the Mega Float with a standard KYB or Soqi mono shock with Hygear dual-rate spring setup.

I have a stock kyb off a 06 apex rtx and a homemade spring compressor for it to change the clip underneath. It’s yours for $50 plus the ride.

I have a stock kyb off a 06 apex rtx and a homemade spring compressor for it to change the clip underneath. It’s yours for $50 plus the ride.
I will buy that if Viper doesnt. PM me couple buddies I know who need it.

Would this work on my 2012 se in the rear? I have float 2s up front and mega in rear. I just picked up the sled a little over a week ago. Couldn't turn it down. I never rode sled really not interested in air shock in rear.

KYB with duel rate spring in rear
Float 2s up front with exterior chambers

Any thoughts

Would this work on my 2012 se in the rear? I have float 2s up front and mega in rear. I just picked up the sled a little over a week ago. Couldn't turn it down. I never rode sled really not interested in air shock in rear.

KYB with duel rate spring in rear
Float 2s up front with exterior chambers

Any thoughts
Yes. That would work, but I think you would be happier if you also replaced the front shocks with a set of GYTR shocks (coilover shocks with springs).

Yes. That would work, but I think you would be happier if you also replaced the front shocks with a set of GYTR shocks (coilover shocks with springs).
Keep in mind the GYTR shocks have some parts on them that are unattainable now. Namely shafts for the rebound/comp adjustable reservoir style.

I picked my 12se little over a week ago. It needs a few things. Definitely not a basket but needs a track (ordered) skid needs to be gone through perfect time to do it when I have it out. Also have to figure out what to do with exup as cable is broken. Sounds like I'm going to bypass it my heavy thumb isn't going to benefit from it away.

But the thing that scares me the most is shocks. I've never owned a sled with air shocks. Rear mega has to go maybe I'll like the floats up front I don't know. I did switch out my coils for duel rate on my 06 apex and wow all I can say is what a difference. If the track was ok I would have rode it but I couldn't get past the idea of running it. Guess I'll never know but look forward to the track replacement and a few maintenance things that need to be addressed before I put it to sleep ready to ride

I must either be fortunate or extremely lucky with my EXUP cables as I'm still running the originals on my 18 Apex which has close to 10,000 miles on it. I've only had to adjust them once using the post MrSled created on how to do it. I even bought a spare set but have yet to need them. Now, I also do check the cables during my yearly maintenance and do apply a generous amount of high temp CRC Nickel Anti-Seize grease on the cable ends and on the pulley so maybe that is also contributing to their longevity.

As for bypassing EXUP, I know Travis of Barn Of Parts has an inexpensive kit:
https://barnofparts.com/apps/webstore/products/show/8167996?siteId=134334799&locale=en-US

I will re cant abit. If you drive low speeds and nice groomed trails all the time the Floats are great shocks. They live up to their name as you float along the trail. Get into bigger bumps or pop a road crossing then you will not be happy. Twice I have been double bounced by a factory spec-setup Apex SE. Not a good feeling coming down with the skis reaching down to find the trail. In the one instance this happened I swapped back to my GYTR and rear KYB/multi rate sprung sled and did the same run with completely different results. It was smooth and predictable over the same bumps.
The Floats may have their place, just not on my sled.

Back