• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2011 apex xtx skid removal

grizzly101

Veteran
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2011 apex xtx, 2010 rs vector gt, 2002 sx viper,1998 venture 600
has anyone pulled the skid on their apex xtx? i loosened the track lifted rear of sled off floor and undid the 4 bolts holding skid to frame. after much swearing got the skid out of tunnel but cannot get it out of track

heck i do it quite often. i usually take off the rear springs from their perch on the rails and compress the rear shock. some times need to tie down the shock if the nitrogen charge is good with a tie wrap. i slide it ahead a bit in the track and start working the wheels at the back out over the track drive nubs, some times with a pry bar some times without. the rear axle and wheels can be removed for more room if you need.

Taking the outside wheel off the rear axle is money. It really cuts down on the length of the skid when pulling to one side. Others mentioned some sort of skid mat slid under the skid to allow it to slide over the track. Not sure what it's called, but that would be good too! Sort of like these clear office chair mats

tks guys for the input. will loosen springs and remove rear axle tonite. hopefully that will do it.

This tool (a solid aluminum tube with a threaded end) actually screws into the rear axle shaft so that you can then whack it with a rubber mallet to push out the actual rear axle. Once out, unscrew and the tube holds everything in place. To re-insert rear axle, screw back on and reverse steps.

i pull my skid without removing anything. Back the adjusters as far as they will go, lift the back of the sled up, use a strap by the rear upper idlers to hold the track up and walk it out from the front by using small broom handles between the track and the sliders to raise it over the track knobs. install it the same way.

i pull my skid without removing anything. Back the adjusters as far as they will go, lift the back of the sled up, use a strap by the rear upper idlers to hold the track up and walk it out from the front by using small broom handles between the track and the sliders to raise it over the track knobs. install it the same way.

so you install the rear into the track 1st? then wiggle in the front?

so you install the rear into the track 1st? then wiggle in the front?

Tried this trick last weekend with my XTX, worked mint, like, crazy easy by myself!!!
Blew my freak’n mind!!!

How high did you have the rear end lifted?

In the past, I have laid the sled over on it's left side and swung out the track and dropped in the skid and then slid it all under and then put the sled back on the skis...this is harder to do with the 144 though...

correct, I install rear first as well when reinstalling the skid. I got tired of struggling with suspensions years ago so for $200 I bought a 400 lb electric ceiling hoist for my shop from princess auto just for suspension removal. I lift the back end up approx 3 to 3 1/2'. Enough to clear the front skid mount with it's metal protector loops by the drive sprockets. you might have to pull the track/suspension back a couple times during the install or removal to help slide it over. clear as mud?

Last edited:
How high did you have the rear end lifted?

In the past, I have laid the sled over on it's left side and swung out the track and dropped in the skid and then slid it all under and then put the sled back on the skis...this is harder to do with the 144 though...

We’ve got an electric hoist on a trolly hanging from one of the beams in the shop. You need to get the sled fairly high for the front arm to slide in under the running boards after the rear has been worked in. I agree, the 144 is a bit of a beast to wrestle with on your own.

Back