• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2011 apex

Not trying to be a smartass but did you guy's not know what shocks you were getting when you ordered your sleds or bought them off the floor? :dunno:[/quote]

Sure did. I ordered the sled last spring and knew then. I was going to try the stock shocks to see how they were and order Ohlins if I didn't like them. Now I see a post indicating Ohlins isn't making them for future models. Haven't confirmed that, but I Hope I like the stock shocks!

Let me clarify my post. Ohlins sled shocks ARE available from dealers like me. The difference is I will be building and designing them in house, instead of having off the shelf options direct from Ohlins. Since the new Apex apparently shares shocks with the old, building a set is easy... The spec cards exist, plus I have several custom Apex builds already done. Ohlins is VERY custom build friendly. The downside to this is that lead time increases, certain parts may be back ordered.. the end result, as many know, is well worth it.

I'm just curious as I am now just getting to see the new sleds but it looks to me that the front A-arms are longer? :pics:

Brian

FrostyNutz said:
Yup ,,i'm ready :)

My neighbor just picked up "his" 2011 Red Apex XTX (He told his wife it was for her....., eh eh). It is one beautiful beast. I was over at his house admiring it yesterday. Looks just like this one.

I've never liked the red Yamahas until I saw this one. The color seems a little darker and richer and really adds a lot of bling value to the sled.

I was telling him to put a taller lug track on there, but he believes the stock Rip saw will be adequate. And he pretends he likes to play offtrail. I believe he thins in stock form it will do well off trail.

He was letting me play on his sled, so I didn't argue with him......

But it was an absolutely beautiful sled.

Thanks and yes I agree 100%. The ripsaw is a great trail track but likes to dig holes in the deep stuff. I hope the Crossover combined with the 1 1/2" profile won't take too much away from top end. There is always a trade off so it really depends on the kind of riding you do. In my case , I need a bit more profile to get me on top of the snow. I do some riding in the hills and my cabin is 6 miles off the groomed trail. Forward momentum is critical when your by yourself heading up a twisty narrow trail with 3 feet of freash powder. That leads me to a question about this airbox setup..

any freezing up issues ? Whats it like in the fresh snow after prolonged riding ? I ask because my 800X will suck in snow without the silkscreen filter installed. There are times when I have to turn on the carb heaters to keep the injested water from freezing in the carbs. Will that be an issue an issue with this new Apex ,,, was it with the previous Apex ?

64ssmax said:
I'm just curious as I am now just getting to see the new sleds but it looks to me that the front A-arms are longer? :pics:

Brian

I haven't read anything about the A arms being longer. I would be happy to measure them for a comparison test if someone wants to check it out. I did read that the spindles are shorter but can't confirm that without 2010 measurements.

About time

It's about time Yamaha did something to this sled. I went away from Yamaha simply because they refused to address the crappy steering and darting of the Apex. Also, I felt it was crappy that they refused to get more HP out of their motor when most of the competition has.

FINALLY they did what they should have done two years ago...Good for Yamaha!!!!

I may have been looking at the wrong sled, but if I remember the shocks on the XTX are rebuildable, they just don't have clickers on them.

Re: About time

stoutner said:
It's about time Yamaha did something to this sled. I went away from Yamaha simply because they refused to address the crappy steering and darting of the Apex. Also, I felt it was crappy that they refused to get more HP out of their motor when most of the competition has.

FINALLY they did what they should have done two years ago...Good for Yamaha!!!!

Fine tune your the shock adjustment and change the carbides...problem solved. Also, 2011 Apex dyno'd at 160+ HP. FYI

Back