• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2011 RS Venture GT won't stay running after heat exchanger repair

tool_guy

I put a stud through my front heat exchanger a couple of days ago. The sled shut it self down showed a code 21 (for the cooling system) the engine light and warning light were flashing. I had to be pulled off the lake I was on at the time back to my parents house where I was able to get it on the trailer after much effort.

I took my sled to a buddy's shop where I was able to pull the track out so that he could weld the aluminum of the heat exchanger. Filled to coolant back up before reinstalling the track to ensure the weld was good. Installed a new pre studded track as my old one had a bunch of studs pulled out and was in rough shape. I also changed sliders and a bad bearing that we found.

I got it all back together and we started it to align and tighten the track. It would only run for about 30 seconds before it would shut down and give code 30 for low oil pressure.

I looked at the sensor and even drained the oil from the engine to make sure there wasn't any metal bits in it. It all looked good but the FSM says it could be a bad sensor or possibly the ECM.

Anyone have any ideas or heard of this before? I've had a couple people in the last couple of days tell me it's warped head or damage journal bearings.

Thanks

Could be the pressure sensor is not plugged in or its bad...

FSM says for code 30 it could be a bad oil pressure sensor or could be a bad ECM.

The sensor is a PITA to get at. I was able to check the connector and it's pluged in tight. I couldn't really get my hand into the sensor. I think that I'd have to take the oil filter off.

I've given up as I think this is getting beyond my skill level. I'm taking it to the dealer tomorrow. We only have snow for a limited tim so I don't feel like wasting it scratching my head.

I'll be sure to post up what the issue and solution was

So I ended up taking the sled to the dealer. The first thing they found was a melted wire at the back of the engine. They repaired the wire, cleared the code and took it for a ride. They made it about 10KM before the sled died again. It would appear the when the stud went through the heat exchanger that the engine got hot enough to warp the head. According to my dealer this is somewhat common with the 4 strokes when losing cooling because the sensor still sees cool air.

So the verdict right now is they have to pull the engine, sent it out for machining of the head and then put it back together. They figure I should have it back by next weekend. Estimate is about $1500 plus taxes give or take $50. So it sucks but if I don't fix it I have an expensive lawn ornament.

So the sled is all back together. The head was warped from over heating. The dealer said that it was 9 thou out. The last one they had the same issue was only 6 thou. They rode it a bunch of times to make sure that everything was good. I'm going to pick it up on Monday afternoon. From what the dealer said this is somewhat of a common problem with loss of coolant. The temp sensor still sees a low enough ambient air temp and doesn't know that the coolant is actually gone from the system allowing the engine to get really hot. It would seem like it would be a better idea to have a level switch installed in the system some where to indicate that the coolant level is low.

Back