• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2011 RS Venture leaking oil on -25 start up then stopped.

Sled Dog

Lifetime Member
I started my 2011 RS Venture in -25C and it was leaking oil from underneath about an ounce from what I could see. I checked the oil level and it was down just a bit, I did not add any. I let it warm up and it seemed to have stopped I went for a 10 mile slow cruise and when I stopped and checked about every mile there was no oil leak anymore. Has anyone had this happen to them and if so where was it leaking and why was it leaking? I have not had time to bring it in and check it yet so just trying to get some input before I do. When it was out running it ran perfectly fine and the oil level did not go down anymore once I was back home with 10 miles on sled. Sled was not on its side but the last time I was out for a ride with it I had to give it some choke to get it going because it would bog and die when trying to take off so I am wondering if this is releated because that happened the last time I had it out and this was the first start up since.

I have a 09 venture , sometimes if i have had it out on a long hard run it will put a bit of oil into the air box and then overnight it will seep on the floor , it only happened twice in 19000 ks , freaked me out as it never leaks , check your air box

Back in 06 after the 500 mile oil change both our Rages leaked about a 6" puddle on the trailer at -37 C was the only time they leaked. I remember the dealer mechanic saying the filters do not have to be that damn tight. Later I checked them, they were only snug so tightened good and never had any more leaks.
Likely the dissimilar metal of the filter and aluminum engine in real cold weather.

canadianhunter said:
Back in 06 after the 500 mile oil change both our Rages leaked about a 6" puddle on the trailer at -37 C was the only time they leaked. I remember the dealer mechanic saying the filters do not have to be that damn tight. Later I checked them, they were only snug so tightened good and never had any more leaks.
Likely the dissimilar metal of the filter and aluminum engine in real cold weather.

They leaked while running when you started in the cold or sitting over night?

I think they just leaked into the pan while sitting although may have leaked a bit when they first started, believe it or not at - 37 C. They will not start below about -27C now.
The dealer did use the cheaper HiFlow HF147 filters, not sure if that would make a difference.

canadianhunter said:
I think they just leaked into the pan while sitting although may have leaked a bit when they first started, believe it or not at - 37 C. They will not start below about -27C now.
The dealer did use the cheaper HiFlow HF147 filters, not sure if that would make a difference.

I have been using the Hi-Flo's for 3 yrs now and never had a problem.

I always hand tighten my filters, I put a little oil on the o-ring then usually tighten them almost as tight as I can by hand and no leaks so far. (but I am a strong bastage lol)

Well I got into it last night and found the problem. It was the filter it was not very tight at all took it off with one hand and not that much effort sure glad it did not fail and blow out the gasket. There is not a whole lot of room in the little inspection plate how are you guys getting these tight I was thinking of using adjustable pliers for final torque? I was going to use one of my rx1 filters but this one is much shorter and there is no way it is going in there to line up so off to the dealer I go.

Go to Canadian Tire and buy yourself a proper small slip tight oil filter wrench. Will work on your RX1 filters as well.

I was at the dealer to buy the filter and asked them about how they tightened them and they had a good metal one for sale so I bought it as well worked perfect.

Back