• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2012 venture GT eating belts

ksblock

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2012 rsventureGT
Hello,
So we own a 2012 venture GT, We purchased the sled with 300 miles on it and I noticed the spare belt was gone when purchased. The guy we bought it from played dumb. Long story short 1100 miles now and burned 3 belts. when driven under a normal load this thing will over heat belts in a hurry, It will delaminate the top of the belt and have the swirl marks on the side. Just by eyeball the alignment looks good, Ive messed with belt deflection and it seems to make little to no difference on belt life. Ive inspected the primary and secondary clutch for anomalies and find none. I did replace the primary spring with a "soft start spring" and this had no affect on belt life. I also tightened the secondary spring up by one number with no improvement.

Looking for a little help, What is the center to center suppose to be on the sheaves? Is there a red neck alignment bar or way to check this other then eyeball? Can someone please explain the adjustments on secondary ( 1234 and the ABC)? Id really like to increase clamping pressure but am not complety sure on what setting to try. is this a common issue with these sleds? Any and all info will be greatly appreciated..

brother had the same issue on his 2013 rs venture gt. we ended up clutching the sled for more snap/low end belt grip and it has been good so far. they clutch them very soft for comfort from the factory and odds are the belt just slipped itself to death in the primary. need to replace the weights in his as we got someones drag race weights and it is causing issues on decel if you do not pay attention to it. i hate a sled that when you punch it, it makes noise only and nothing happens.

Couldn't a guy continue to tighten secondary spring to achieve more clamping pressure?

no as the belt is slipping in the primary. how are the clutch temps while riding? bet the primary is smoking hot.

My inner child wanted to tell you to release the parking brake. Sorry, couldn't resist.

Any luck on resolving this? My first thought was that it might be the secondary twist angle. The sheet I have (not for the '12 model year) shows the Vector at 70 degrees (Sheave at 1 and seat at 6), the Venture gets 60 degrees (sheave at 3 and seat at 3). I have been thing about trying the 60 degrees on my Vector to see if it might reduce the engine braking.

The other thing would be alignment. Again, this is not for your model year but I suspect they are pretty much the same...

Belt.JPG

You adjust offset by adding or removing shims (washers but special - specific thickness and flatness).

Also, there should be some free play of 1 to 2 mm. The precise dimensions of the straight edge aren't critical, basically something that is flat and will fit. I am new to the Yamaha thing and was surprised to see the "slop" on the secondary, but as I think about it, it lets the secondary find it's happy place without too much lateral deflection. Mine has probably over 2 mm.

Hope you already have it figured out - if not I hope this helps.

I have the 11 Venture GT and still on original belt, also rode with friend with a 12 and neither have replaced a belt, my point is NOT a machine charactoristic
Good luck

Last riding season the sled ate two more belts. I tried replacing the secondary spring, spoke to a local mechanic and he tried telling me I should install mountain gearing because I pull a kid cart occasionally. Problem I have with that is is has burned a belt while riding single.

I will verify my center to center is good. Verify alignment and then I am planning on riding it with shroud off to locate which clutch is making the heat.
Anyone try adding frog skins to get rid of the heat? I love the sled minus this belt issue.

When I see persistent better problems, it is usually because the primary sheave surfaces are not straight any more. Put a straight edge on and make sure.
This shouldn't be the problem given the low miles, but it should still be checked.

When I see persistent better problems, it is usually because the primary sheave surfaces are not straight any more. Put a straight edge on and make sure.
This shouldn't be the problem given the low miles, but it should still be checked.

I feel like something was machined wrong right from the factory, the faces not being true would normally be caused by worn bushing on the moveable correct?

I feel like something was machined wrong right from the factory, the faces not being true would normally be caused by worn bushing on the moveable correct?
No, just from belt wear.
If it wears faster than normal, it could be caused by pulling a load, and/or running the machine at a constant lower speed.
I remember having a 06 venture that was eating belts way faster than normal. Took me a while to figure it out, but it ended up being the face of the primary sheaves were worn badly(not straight).
Easy to check, just remove the belt and put a straight edge against them, one side at a time. Only a very small amount of wear is acceptable.

Th
No, just from belt wear.
If it wears faster than normal, it could be caused by pulling a load, and/or running the machine at a constant lower speed.
I remember having a 06 venture that was eating belts way faster than normal. Took me a while to figure it out, but it ended up being the face of the primary sheaves were worn badly(not straight).
Easy to check, just remove the belt and put a straight edge against them, one side at a time. Only a very small amount of wear is acceptable.
Thanks for the response, I’ll check it out.

brothers 2013 venture gt did the same thing from new. we clutched it with 40-10 heel clickers (notched set) and other than it burning belt on decel if you let right out of it it doesn't burn it on take off any longer.

brothers 2013 venture gt did the same thing from new. we clutched it with 40-10 heel clickers (notched set) and other than it burning belt on decel if you let right out of it it doesn't burn it on take off any longer.

it’s so odd that some people don’t ever have issues and others burn them.

Take spring out of primary put cover back on and see if clutch slides in and out easy or hard, had an 05 venture that slid hard and felt no matter how i clutched it it would bind and slip when going slow, only fix would be softer belt and more aggressive curve on weights and14.5 rollers to get better squeeze on belt at slow speeds, the stock flat profile weights are not good for bottom end grip, can also try lower rate spring for more grip, just a few things to try if all else is good

Back