• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2013 APEX MTX "Special Order"

rx1tonofun

Veteran
Just wondering how many of us would be interested in purchasing a pre-season Apex MTX. Kind of like the Super Tenere and the early fj's. Would you want the Apex as it was or would Yamaha have to change the Apex for you to do it? I know for me going from the Apex to a Nytro last year I'd rather have the Apex as purely a stock ride. I'm a bigger rider and have done a few things to my Nytro to make it fit me better. I rode my Apex stock and really liked it as a purely stock sled, I can't really say the same for the Nytro, just throwing it out there.

Yamaha made an error IMHO cutting out the Apex MTX from its line up. The sled has a cult following. And now they are getting quite tough to find. A spring order edition with no EPS in a 162" with the new Ascent track would be sweet. The EXUP valve could be optional. Yamaha, are you listening?

Guys, I don’t want to be the Scrooge here, but I think we have been down this road before! Are we running out of things to discuss about the Apex MTX? Let’s focus on things we have control over, such as aftermarket accessories, suspension/engine mods and super chargers for our Apex Mountain sleds.

That’s all I have to say about that.

There won't be another Apex MTX until a new chassis design comes out...aint gonna be next year I fear, nor the year after

Me and most of my buddies ride Apex MTX (Bought the last of left overs we could find) One Buddy has a Nytro and NONE of us with Apexs would even consider going to the Nytro (Its a terrible sled in my opinion) If Yamaha doesn't come with something new or bring back the Apex MTX, I will be riding the new Cat for my next sled. I won't be the only one either!!!!!!!!!!!. I even have one buddy that bought a left over Apex as a spare and he just put it away till he needs a new sled. Wish I had the money and would have done that myself. That rider forward B$ of the Nytro is NOT for old guys, its great for the young guys. I like old school riding position, the 15" track on the Nytro SUCKS and that 3 cylinder motor does NOT even compare to the 4 Banger. Most of the guys I ride with have MCX Turbo's, but I have done 2 home made Turbo kits for 2 Buddies and their sleds are VERY impressive on 6 1/2Lbs boost. They'll KILL a 180 kit Nytro and the New 1100T Cat. The last kit I built cost my Buddy $1,631 Taxes in, Plus our labour. Wake up Yamaha.

Attachments

• Johnnys Turbo 043.jpg
    Johnnys Turbo 043.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 311
  • Johnnys Turbo 044.jpg
    Johnnys Turbo 044.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 262
  • Johnnys Turbo 045.jpg
    Johnnys Turbo 045.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 216
  • Johnnys Turbo 049.jpg
    Johnnys Turbo 049.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 270
  • Johnnys Turbo 052.jpg
    Johnnys Turbo 052.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 198
  • Johnnys Turbo 053.jpg
    Johnnys Turbo 053.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 183
Sign me up for a 2013 Apex MTX 162 X 16 X 2.75 Ascent track, EXUP for sure PS optional, I would probably opt for the PS. I am not at all impressed with the Nytro in any form.

Snow Fever said:
Me and most of my buddies ride Apex MTX (Bought the last of left overs we could find) One Buddy has a Nytro and NONE of us with Apexs would even consider going to the Nytro (Its a terrible sled in my opinion) If Yamaha doesn't come with something new or bring back the Apex MTX, I will be riding the new Cat for my next sled. I won't be the only one either!!!!!!!!!!!. I even have one buddy that bought a left over Apex as a spare and he just put it away till he needs a new sled. Wish I had the money and would have done that myself. That rider forward B$ of the Nytro is NOT for old guys, its great for the young guys. I like old school riding position, the 15" track on the Nytro SUCKS and that 3 cylinder motor does NOT even compare to the 4 Banger. Most of the guys I ride with have MCX Turbo's, but I have done 2 home made Turbo kits for 2 Buddies and their sleds are VERY impressive on 6 1/2Lbs boost. They'll KILL a 180 kit Nytro and the New 1100T Cat. The last kit I built cost my Buddy $1,631 Taxes in, Plus our labour. Wake up Yamaha.

Could you share some more info on your turbo setup? I am very interested in it for that price...

That turbo system looks awesome Snow Fever. If you ever want to market one, I'd be interested for sure. A lower boost pump gas turbo system is on my list for the next few years for my Apex MTX, and yours looks to be one of the coolest looking I've seen. Does the intercooler/ scoop work well? It looks like it would and it's a very unique design.

Very cool and awesome job!!!!!!

The Turbo is from the auto wreckers $150, its out of an Eagle Talon, we use a Boondocker fuel controller $450, an aem 02 sensor $250, boost gauge $40, VW blow off valve $90, "T" line off oil pressure switch for oil for the turbo and oil return lines $100, oil return pump $150 and then misc. raw aluminum plate and tubes, metal exhaust tubing plus bolts, wires and heat tape $400. Then you need to clutch it, Helix $150, smaller rollers $150, new weights $180. Took us 1 week to fab it up, and a few hours to dial in the fuel controller. This thing has deadly throttle response (The best I have EVER rid'n) and I have rode other home made set ups as well as, MCX, Boondocker and Alpines. I have the 290 MCX on my sled and run 15lbs boost and even though the boost on this thing is half of mine, it has at least 75% as much power! I'm not in to the DEATH runs at the BIG hills, I love bushwacking. This sled is so fun to ride with the throttle response, it would be the set up I would have for my next sled.

This is the 3rd homemade kit I've done for yamy 4 strokes and the best set up (low boost) I have rode. Years ago I did a front mount on my '03 RX1. This latest set up is way better, and your less likely to have exhaust cracks like the front mounts all do. The one we did last year (Everything the same but we used a larger Turbo), works great, but this little Turbo off the Eagle Talon on our latest project is just nuts how fast it spools up. The way I built the air box has 3 funtions, 1- it's plenum is small and the extra material on top helps a bit as a heat sink (NO YOU DO NOT NEED an Intercooler for low boost FACT/PROVEN many years ago in 03 personally) 2- The airbox fills in the hole in the hood and looks good and as a bonus 3- you can pull the battery, battery box and oil filter without removing the airbox !

P.S. I only build stuff for me and my buddies, I don't build and sell any of the stuff. I will help anyone with pics or info if you have the time/tools to tackle it on your own. Its not a 5min job, but when its done it CRANKS!

I am really interested as well... Do you (Snow Fever) have any kind of templete or base detail to build one of those intake plenums/intercooler/airboxes? If you have anything even if quite elementary, I would draw it using CAD software and detail it so it would be buildable if anyone wanted to make these, or would you rather keep it a secret haha? I am in serious contemplation right now about ordering some of these parts and dig into since I have no snow right now to ride. I have access to machine shop, CNC, I would draw all my parts in Inventor before building so I have a template to recreate.

I do this stuff out of my head as I go, I have no templates. Its really simple to get the size and shape of the plenum if you have the stock air box. Copy the the air box for where the flanges have to be and the size, the angle ralationship between the throttle bodies and the top cover that fills the hole in the hood, then make the top piece just a little lower so it clears the hood and doesn't rub.

Right now I'm working nites and during the day when I'm not sleeping I'm tuning up my Grandbabies '73 Kitty Kat. I just shoe horned a 6 1/2hp 4 stroke into it and tappered the tunnel, now I'm working on some traction and skis. When I'm done, I'll put together a list of parts, pics and some explaination of how I did it.

Back