• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2013 phaxer gt no start, scrap it to change plugs?

greggie42

Veteran
oh lord , i have never seen an engine so hard to get the spark plugs out off!!!!!!. looks like the gas tank and handlebar need to be removed to change plugs am i right?
New machine only 400klms it started and flooded for a moment then went out. and now it seems to have no fire ,wont even light up starting fluid. how do i check for codes? thanks

Remove seat and gas tank to get to the plugs. Codes will show up on the display if there is a problem.

Make sure the sled has idled down before taking off or shutting it down or at the very least wait for the cold engine light to shut off.

Is it old gas?

It is imperative that you don't touch the throttle for some time after it starts. Most people say until the red temp light goes out. On my wife's Phazer, we actually wait for the rpm's to start coming done before blipping the throttle.

thanks guys , i have a nytro and the plugs arent that hard to change. oh well. i want to remove to p[lugs to see if there is fire on them. there are no codes in the screen. it does have the full tank of gas left from last march 2013 but the wife used it for a hour with no issues. im puzzled

Please put the starting fluid away. I've seen blown up engines because of it's use. Hard on a motor even when used correctly. I've been an Auto Tech for more than 25 years and the only time I've ever used it was on a vehicle headed for the junk yard.

Ruggybuggy said:
Please put the starting fluid away. I've seen blown up engines because of it's use. Hard on a motor even when used correctly. I've been an Auto Tech for more than 25 years and the only time I've ever used it was on a vehicle headed for the junk yard.

Our opinions differ. Older Yamahas with the fuel pumps that bleed back into the tank (Mountain Max,etc) we ALWAYS gave them a shot of starting fluid to get them started. Ether starting fluid back in the day could definitely cause some damage but ether starting fluid has not been available for quite some time.

However, use starting fluid on a Ford Powerstroke and you can blow the airbox clear off (ask me how I know).

geez i hope u dont have a 6liter power stroke ,they are a nightmare. i have rams with the cummins ,excellent truck.
strange. thing about this little phazer is that there are no codes in the screen. if the plugs were ruined would that show up as a code?

greggie42 said:
geez i hope u dont have a 6liter power stroke ,they are a nightmare. i have rams with the cummins ,excellent truck.
strange. thing about this little phazer is that there are no codes in the screen. if the plugs were ruined would that show up as a code?
No, and it won't tell you the winning lottery numbers either...lol Personally I would pull the fuel pump relay and the airbox lid. Then direct a hot air gun into the intakes and crank it a few times.

stingray719 said:
Ruggybuggy said:

Our opinions differ. Older Yamahas with the fuel pumps that bleed back into the tank (Mountain Max,etc) we ALWAYS gave them a shot of starting fluid to get them started. Ether starting fluid back in the day could definitely cause some damage but ether starting fluid has not been available for quite some time.

However, use starting fluid on a Ford Powerstroke and you can blow the airbox clear off (ask me how I know).

Your right our opinions are different. I consider starting fluid a crutch and will always solve the issue by doing a repair. If I foul plugs I remove them. On the Phazer it really isn't that hard to remove the tank. In the hands of someone who knows how to use it, it will do no harm but lots will keep cranking and straying because it almost started.

Ruggybuggy said:
stingray719 said:
Ruggybuggy said:

Your right our opinions are different. I consider starting fluid a crutch and will always solve the issue by doing a repair. If I foul plugs I remove them. On the Phazer it really isn't that hard to remove the tank. In the hands of someone who knows how to use it, it will do no harm but lots will keep cranking and straying because it almost started.

Agreed.

If the Phazer is flooded, hold the throttle wide open to clear the gas. The computer sees wide open throttle and low engine RPM and cuts fuel to the EFI.

Removing the seat and gas tank to get to the plugs is easy, took me 20 minutes the first time to change the plugs.

When you turn the key to on, do you hear the fuel pump run for a couple of seconds? Could be the fuel pump relay if you don't. Another possibility is the plugs are fouled if the engine was shut off before it was fully warmed up.

If you've been trying to start it multiple times and it flooded, check the oil for gas in it. That could be compounding the problem.

Just out of curiosity, wouldn't it still be under warranty?

If the engine was flooded I have had success by removing the seat and unplugging the fuel pump. then crank engine with throttle held open. It should start to fire occasionally. Continue until it does not fire any more, then plug in fuel pump and it should start normally. I only say to remove seat for access to fuel pump because it is easier and faster than trying to remove the fuel pump relay. I have used this method before in -35 degree cold morning starts. My 07 fx wants to flood at that temp.

Back