• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2014 apex xtx

wyre345

Veteran
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2005 Yamaha RX1
My wife has a 2014 Apex xtx. In low snow conditions the yellow caution light come on that it's getting hot. But my old rx1 wont get hot in the same conditions. Is the light warning you before it gets too hot??? And I also read that it will shut down before it over heats. Is this true?

More than likely you've got to high of concentration of antifreeze or an air bubble in your system. I'm coming up on 14,000 miles on mine in all kinds of conditions. Never seen the overheat light. No idea if it'll shut down before completely overheating.

My wife has a 2014 Apex xtx. In low snow conditions the yellow caution light come on that it's getting hot. But my old rx1 wont get hot in the same conditions. Is the light warning you before it gets too hot??? And I also read that it will shut down before it over heats. Is this true?
Yes is the answer to both questions

well yes and no if you are running wide open it will not shut down on over heat. I would test the antifreeze and check coolant level as the xtx comes with rear exchanger. Mine was extremely rare to come on if you are running on hard trails you may need a set of scratchers to put down when in low snow.

Last edited:
yes it will shut down on overheat. i have found that when going slow, even with the running boards all packed with snow, the lack of air/snow flowing by the exh will over heat it as well. apex/rx sleds like to be doing at least 30 kph on a packed trail. in the powder it does not matter.

I'm surprised I have not seen an overheat on the XTX. That rear exchanger will get toasty warm though. Many times shes steaming up a storm when it is warm. I did drop on cable scratchers to the skid and drop them when I think I should be getting hot, or running roads. They will fill a skid with ice/snow in no time. It's just so much weight! But the sled is cool.

16,000 miles on my xtx never saw the overheat light go on. Either she is going too slow or hardpak isn’t getting snow to the heat exchangers. My 2007 Attak would throw an over heat light at the oddest times but didn’t have the rear heat exchanger like the xtx.

I have not seen it on my XTX yet, 1st season owning, however last weekend my shorty turned the light on, trails were frozen solid and no scratchers so had to pull over to let cool down once.

As others have alluded to if there is not enough track speed to throw snow around they can overheat.

They sled will not shut down if the sleds if moving and overheats. The shut down feature only activates if the sled is stationary when over heat temp is reached.

As others have alluded to if there is not enough track speed to throw snow around they can overheat.

They sled will not shut down if the sleds if moving and overheats. The shut down feature only activates if the sled is stationary when over heat temp is reached.

or in my case moving slowly, it shut down and i was doing less than 10kph.

2016 Vector XTX. Took my son up to the border. Late in the season year before last. Let him ride the Vector. I rode my old 2 Stroke. Hard pack icy. No scratchers on the Vector. He Stopped and I turned around. I asked what's wrong he said Yellow light flashing and loss of power. I turned on Vector and that's when I learned it had a electric fan by your right foot. So we waited for it to cool off and drove 2 miles back to the trailer. Have Scratchers on it now. For what it's worth.

Back