• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2014 Cat XF 1100 Turbo... Wow that was boring.

JP_YFZ

Me and some guys at work skipped to ride yesterday. We lined up a '14 AC XF 1100 turbo, '06 Apex, '01 XC 700, '03 edge 600, '04 GSX 600 (all stock) and my '11 Nytro RTX (PC-5, K&N, and D&D can, stock clutch) on a reservoir with 1-2 feet on hard pack on it. The stretch was about a mile. We ran multiple times with the same results. The Cat pulled about 2-3 sled lengths on the Apex but no more all the way to the end. The RTX easily handled both 600s. The first run I was sure I would be 3rd to the end... Until I noticed the faded red and black XC 700 out of the corner of my eye! He caught and passed me every time after about 1/4 mile. Anyone else ever get smoked by a 13 year old 700 or is my RTX just slow??
Later in the day I put about 20 miles on that XF. All I can say is that it was a very boring sled to ride. Super smooth power delivery that had no hit or bottom end. It took way to long for the turbo to spool and never had enough low end to get the front end light and over big bumps. I didn't care for the rider position or the seat. Seat felt like a board, really flat with hard edges and it was not easy to switch to standup riding. I did turn easy, unlike my sled. My point is I was bored on it and was real happy to bet back on my RTX. Not trying to bash Cat, (I loved my f7 sno pro until it was stolen) I just wanted to offer an opinion in case anyone was considering switching to a 1100 turbo. I would say ride one. I would never own a sled that had that motor in stock form. Maybe it would be different with more boost? The owner was so disappointed in its dag race performance he was taking it back to the dealer to have the boost controller flashed.

I always lose to 700's....pull them off the line and then they reel me in....you gotta remember those 2 -strokes were fast on the top end...had issues out running them with my SRX

I had a couple XTX in the past. I never had a problem beating turbo cats. Never had a problem with 800 doos either in the non Etec form. They would all destroy me above 90 mph but out of the hole and through the mids the Nytro was king. Mine even go faster after installing the hindle/Hurricane setup and super rat weights. Gained a few up top but it was much faster to 95 mph.

A lot of your problem is hooking up down low. You will be spinning so much harder than anyone else. One of the reasons the XTX is better out of the hole is because it has better traction. The approach angle and less rolling resistance make it a better top end machine as well.

I never though of adding a turbo to my XTX's as I was happy with the power from just the add ons. Pushing 154 hp on a nytro goes a long ways on the flat lands.

Yeah, I love the way the nytro pulls. It doesn't bother me that it doesn't have the fastest top speed, cause I race it on a lake maybe twice a season. The rest of the time I'm on the trails where it has no problem keeping up. What's a good clutch setup for best corner to corner with out losing top end?

I personally like the drag & fly's, or the two speeds, both are Heelclicker products, very tunable, and pull very hard.

I have the drag and fly's....very tunable but clutching is a art....gotta know what your doing (which i really don't)

look at the ulmer or Schmidt brothers clutch kits

I had the drag and fly on my nytro rtx and it pulled very hard also had the hauck husher with cr10ek plugs. I have the Ulmer kit on my viper and it works very well and it was setup for me with my specs, weight riding style etc.

Those old XC 700's were a good motor. That was the year before power valve engines. I had a 2005 700 RMK and with a slp pipe and good clutching I would take down 800 doo doo's all day long, right up until I sold it. Mid 2000's was the last of the good 2 stroke motors that were reliable compared to what has been put out since. That's why I ride a 4 stroke now. It's not that I didn't like the power and sound or the cost of fixing the motor if it tossed a piston. It was that I was getting tired of having to do that and wondering when it was going to happen. Now I just change oil and grease the suspension and ride.

Can't beat the Yamaha 4 strokes for reliability and ease of ownership. I put just over 1000 miles on mine so far this season and have done nothing but turn the key and go. I did have to replace the rear outside idler wheel after hitting a stump in a snow bank, whoops.
Nytro40th,
How does your Viper compare to your Nytro RTX power-wise when both were stock. Much faster?

My Wife rides a '10 Z1 1100 turbo snopro, 177 HP stock.
It's got a D&D clutch kit + Hijacker 2.0 box on it (bumped to just 180hp), smoothest motor I've ever felt.
I love to ride it when I can.

It WILL still pretty much start to pull you off the seat with no problems between 40-65 mph when decking it, turbo is right there.
Studded up so on hard pack it hooks and digs straight as an arrow every time.
Very good set up.
The older F chassis is totally different with rider position (seat/ handlebars are fully adjustable) but still feels forward, plush feel like driving a Cadillac.
She handles it fine for the weight of the beast, sport bike rider as well so the lean thing works great for her.

JP_YFZ said:
Can't beat the Yamaha 4 strokes for reliability and ease of ownership. I put just over 1000 miles on mine so far this season and have done nothing but turn the key and go. I did have to replace the rear outside idler wheel after hitting a stump in a snow bank, whoops.
Nytro40th,
How does your Viper compare to your Nytro RTX power-wise when both were stock. Much faster?

The nytro felt like it had a bit more jam, but I think the cat chassis and ecu have something to do with that. Now that I have similar mods they feel the same power wise. The cat chassis and this motor is a great marriage so to speak lol. I dropped like 15 lbs off this viper chassis already.

Back