• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2014 Viper won't start alarm beeping and giving codes errors

MrUpNorth

Veteran
Country
USA
Snowmobile
SR Viper
Suggestions and help needed. My 2014 ran and started great yesterday in temps 0 to -15 degrees. This am at -4 it would turn over but not fire. The sled was inside and on a better tender. My battery eventually drained. Charged battery all day. Fully charged I go to start the sled and the alarm is now beeping and sending multiple codes like P0919, P0562, P1692, P1689, P0485, P0508. I undid battery from sled and the alarm still sounds.

Take it out of reverse. that's the beeping, its not an alarm, its the back up beeper.

The sled never started and was never in reverse. It says alarm and is flashing codes

The sled never started and was never in reverse. It says alarm and is flashing codes
This is interesting. If you look at the gauge, it has the "reverse" R so the system is really confused. After being in electronics repair and manufacturing for the last 15 years I have seen this type of thing many times on other types of equipment. My guess is that there is a bad connection somewhere and as a result the ECU is getting information that is wrong. My suggestion is to unplug all the electrical connectors and spray contact cleaner in there. After it dries, put a bunch of dialectric grease in each plug or socket and reconnect. When you have them apart, make sure none are terribly oxidized. If they are, you need to scrape the contacts with a dental pick or razor blade to clean them up. I bet your problem goes away. I'd also look at the 2 ground wires on the clutch side. Are they nice and tight? Also, if you think about it, it ran fine when you parked it and then suddenly the next day it gave you all this grief. The engine didn't blow overnight! This screams electrical to me.

This is interesting. If you look at the gauge, it has the "reverse" R so the system is really confused. After being in electronics repair and manufacturing for the last 15 years I have seen this type of thing many times on other types of equipment. My guess is that there is a bad connection somewhere and as a result the ECU is getting information that is wrong. My suggestion is to unplug all the electrical connectors and spray contact cleaner in there. After it dries, put a bunch of dialectric grease in each plug or socket and reconnect. When you have them apart, make sure none are terribly oxidized. If they are, you need to scrape the contacts with a dental pick or razor blade to clean them up. I bet your problem goes away. I'd also look at the 2 ground wires on the clutch side. Are they nice and tight? Also, if you think about it, it ran fine when you parked it and then suddenly the next day it gave you all this grief. The engine didn't blow overnight! This screams electrical to me.

Thanks for the suggestion. After I thought back on the starting sequence it cycled the first time but when it didn't start and I turned off and on the key again it didn't cycle again. Fuel pump is clearly not working.

Had pretty much the exact same thing happen last year with one of our 2015 MTX's but in our scenario it was -38C and were running the EarthX lithium battery. We already know that the lithium batteries are a real pain when its really cold on theses sleds. They need a warm up cycle OR a boost etc. When I went to start had same slight buzzing from fuel pump. Figured it was just to cold for the battery. So I put on a full sized jump starter that I use to boost my truck. IT got the sled running but it took some time, had a couple of kick backs etc. Needless to say it sounded really bad getting started. Once started the gauge pod looked like yours in reverse beeping flashing 5-6 codes. Holy hell was I freaked out. After about 3 min I turned off the sled. Took the battery inside and warmed it up over the fireplace. After about a hour or so the battery was pretty warmed up. Put it back in the sled. Fired right up, no hesitation no nothing. Gauge pod normal. No beeping. All good.
Theses sleds are super sensitive to any electrical fluctuation.

Had pretty much the exact same thing happen last year with one of our 2015 MTX's but in our scenario it was -38C and were running the EarthX lithium battery. We already know that the lithium batteries are a real pain when its really cold on theses sleds. They need a warm up cycle OR a boost etc. When I went to start had same slight buzzing from fuel pump. Figured it was just to cold for the battery. So I put on a full sized jump starter that I use to boost my truck. IT got the sled running but it took some time, had a couple of kick backs etc. Needless to say it sounded really bad getting started. Once started the gauge pod looked like yours in reverse beeping flashing 5-6 codes. Holy hell was I freaked out. After about 3 min I turned off the sled. Took the battery inside and warmed it up over the fireplace. After about a hour or so the battery was pretty warmed up. Put it back in the sled. Fired right up, no hesitation no nothing. Gauge pod normal. No beeping. All good.
Theses sleds are super sensitive to any electrical fluctuation.

Thanks for the information but I'm curious if your fuel pump even cycle that all. The battery is at 12.6 amps. The cranks over but no fuel pump kicks in.

It just buzzed. Did not cycle. I suspect you have a short somewhere. I do find it odd that after you disconnected the battery the sled kept beeping? How long did it do that for?

I found that odd as well, no power = no beeps or display??, mybe a small power reserve would keep it lit for a second or 2 at the most, but......

Remove the hood, Disconnect the 2 big connectors plugged at the ECU. I had this type of trouble with my 7000 2014, and it was water in the ECU connector's. Just clean them.

I had the same issue, hooked my portable boost pack, waited 1min and it fired right up. It seemed like a low voltage issue causing the relays to not actuate in low Temps. It was -22c when I had the issue.

Had the same problem last year after I started my sled at -30 Celsius and then shut it off after 5 minutes while my buddies cat didn't start, When we got the 2 stroke cat running, mine cranked, reverse on. beeping, codes galore, battery pack was installed but no firing. Turns out main relay was not working. Made it to my dealer after fooling around for 50 minutes to get her running and they checked it out and told me the problem was " Arctic cats parts" WTF They said can't do anything now because it was running. Love my machine when I'm riding but I sure get nervous when it is cold up here in Quebec. Had laugh today when a cat guy with his new XF 7000 had the same problem, 5 minutes with a heat gun got her running. Relays, relays, relays.

Back