• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2014 ZR7000/Viper chain case questions

STAIN

Lifetime Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2022 SIDEWINDER LTX GT
I just pulled a customer's 2014 ZR7000 into my shop with a completely grenaded chain case.
As it has been a while since I owned a Viper I have a few questions.
Will a newer updated case( upper bearing) fit? Will I need the upper shaft to do so?
If not, what do I need to update the case( upper bearing) to newer one?
Does anyone have a complete case for sale?
Thanks

I cannot remember for sure but I think this is the one I used.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201228-080150_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20201228-080150_Google.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 71
Here's a link to a thread where they were discussing upgrading the Viper to the newer setup the Sidewinders use.

Be careful, the jackshaft and bearings are NOT the same as a Viper.

2014 ZR7000 would have the Arctic Cat big fin secondary clutch. The spline is different from Viper.
The bearing behind the secondary is different than a Viper. It is a standard size ID bearing.
The chaincase bearing should be a 20mm wide wobble bearing with a lock nut.

2015 ZR7000 would have the Arctic Cat big fin secondary clutch. The spline is different from Viper.
The bearing behind the secondary is different than a Viper. It is a standard size ID bearing.
The chaincase bearing should be a 20mm wide wobble bearing with a snap ring. No lock nut.

2016 ZR7000 and later would have a Team BOSS secondary clutch. The shaft and spline are totally different than 2014 or 2015.
The chaincase bearing is a standard ball 16mm wide bearing secured with a snap ring.

So if you mix things, you may wind up needing a different secondary clutch.
I do not know what the finish of the chaincase end of the 14 shaft looks like. You may not be able to use a different bearing on there.

Thanks, good info to have moving forward.
I may suggest he just replace the wobble bearing with something more conventional, maybe a 62206
He should then be able to use any year case with proper spacers, correct?

I would re-use the existing jack shaft but I am not sure if there is a snap ring groove since it should have the lock nut. If it has the groove, then he can use the 16mm wide conventional bearing with a 4mm spacer. A 16 or later case will work or a 14-15 case with a 4mm OD spacer.

I have a 15 with the parts noted above. After the first winter, I pulled it all apart and changed all the bearings. The top woble bearing had some kind of fiber ball cage so it got replaced with a Koyo with a steel cage and there has been no problem with balls falling out.

I have a 15 and my son has a 17 so I got to see most of the changes.

Thanks.
I think I will use the original shaft, if it needs a groove, I can machine one in. Changing the secondary clutch seems like money wasted.
I will update the upper bearing to the Koyo bearing 62206.
ANY inner and outer case will do, it is just a matter of getting the spacing right.

Does this seem correct?
it's crazy that 2014,15 16 CAT's all have different case set ups
Now finding these parts is the challenge.

Last edited:
As long as you don't try to put a 20mm wide bearing in a 16mm case, all is good.

The Yamaha parts are cheaper than the Cat parts in this case.
I am going to order the 2016 case and use the 2014 shaft with the 20mm 62206 bearing.

I seem to have screwed this up.
I ordered a 2016 Viper inner case. It came with a wobble bearing. The bore diameter is 30mm. My shaft diameter is 25.5mm.
The closest bearing in size I have seen is the 6305.
Has anyone used this bearing in place of the wobble bearing?

Back