• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2015 sr viper Ltx le

Viper89

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2015 Yamaha viper
Hey I am new to 4 stroke and trying to make them perform better any ideas on how to make it perform better and what I can expect from this machine I just got it in December

Welcome to the site. Congrats on the sled. The Viper forum section is full of fantastic information pertaining to that very question. You can find it all by searching and you'll find what's best for you and your budget. Word of warning -- it's additive!!! Enjoy the season.

I just bought my first 4 stroke this fall which happens to be the identical model to yours. Pretty much right away I ordered a thunder products clutch kit and love it. The air box mod is next. Just deciding if I want to buy a kit or do it myself.

Just ride it and don't worry about it. I put 14000 miles on a 2015 like yours and now have 9000 miles on a 2017 ltx le. They top out about 85 decent mid range

I just bought my first 4 stroke this fall which happens to be the identical model to yours. Pretty much right away I ordered a thunder products clutch kit and love it. The air box mod is next. Just deciding if I want to buy a kit or do it myself.

Do it yourself. Super easy and gives you a great idea how to remove panels, hood, etc. in case you have to get under there in an emergency some day.

Do it yourself. Super easy and gives you a great idea how to remove panels, hood, etc. in case you have to get under there in an emergency some day.
Oops I worded that wrong. I'd be installing it myseld. What I meant to say I wasn't sure if I'd buy a kit or do the free air box mod.

Getting more power and speed seem to be the things most people talk about, but for me, the most important things are handling and comfort. The LE has a nice shock package with all the bells and whistles, so you should be all set on the comfort end, but make sure your sled is handling the way you like it to.

I assume you got it used, and I don't know whether you have the stock Tuner skis that came on the sled. The truth is that Tuners are awful, and they are a very unpredictable ski on the Pro Cross chassis. A lot of people replace them with aftermarket skis, but new skis and new carbides get very expensive, very fast. If you still have the Tuners, and don't want to go the route of aftermarket skis, get some Snow Trackers installed, and they will solve all, or most all, of the issues with the Tuner skis.

Make sure you have the latest flash on the ECU. I have had great luck with the most recent flash, and it added some "umph" in the midrange acceleration department. If you call a dealer and give them the VIN #, they can check to see if it has been flashed.

Beyond that, if you really need more power, you can mess with the airbox mod, or add a clutch kit, or add on a turbo, etc., etc., but the truth is that a stock Viper, properly set up, is a blast to ride straight out of the box.

Getting more power and speed seem to be the things most people talk about, but for me, the most important things are handling and comfort. The LE has a nice shock package with all the bells and whistles, so you should be all set on the comfort end, but make sure your sled is handling the way you like it to.

I assume you got it used, and I don't know whether you have the stock Tuner skis that came on the sled. The truth is that Tuners are awful, and they are a very unpredictable ski on the Pro Cross chassis. A lot of people replace them with aftermarket skis, but new skis and new carbides get very expensive, very fast. If you still have the Tuners, and don't want to go the route of aftermarket skis, get some Snow Trackers installed, and they will solve all, or most all, of the issues with the Tuner skis.

Make sure you have the latest flash on the ECU. I have had great luck with the most recent flash, and it added some "umph" in the midrange acceleration department. If you call a dealer and give them the VIN #, they can check to see if it has been flashed.

Beyond that, if you really need more power, you can mess with the airbox mod, or add a clutch kit, or add on a turbo, etc., etc., but the truth is that a stock Viper, properly set up, is a blast to ride straight out of the box.
What kind of cluch kit do you recommend it does have stock skis and what do you mean by air box mods will I ever be able to get this sled set up to play in the deep snow its has lots of power but wont stand up it just plows

Thunder Products is a site sponsor for clutching kits.

Do a search about coupled vs. uncoupled suspensions. The LTX is coupled so its not designed to play on the powder and lift the skis all day like a crossover or mountain sled.

Do a search on airbox mod. I think there is a supporting vid on Youtube. It's a free alteration to the stock airbox that is pretty easy to do to get more air flow into the engine. Airbox mod + clutching really wakes this engine.

What kind of cluch kit do you recommend it does have stock skis and what do you mean by air box mods will I ever be able to get this sled set up to play in the deep snow its has lots of power but wont stand up it just plows
I haven't done the airbox mod but I have the big venom clutch kit from thunder clutching really wakes up mid range.ditched the tuners for artic cat skis,much better.

If you want to do a clutch kit, I would talk to Bill Mohr. I haven't done mine (yet), but if I do it, it will be one of his kits. There are threads on this board about the air box mod, and links to a youtube video about how to do it. If you are good with your hands and have the right tools, it is a relatively easy do-it-yourself modification that increases the airflow to give you some extra power.

The LTX is a coupled suspension, and was not designed for deep snow. There is actually a thread going right now talking about removing the coupling blocks, to help get the front end up in the air like an uncoupled suspension. That having been said, if you are serious about off trail, you are going to have to spend some money. I would think seriously about a 1.6" or 1.75" track. My buddy has the 1.6" on his Sidewinder LTX, and it makes a big difference. If you do go with a different track, you might want to consider doing a gearing change as well. Also, the Tuners have got to go, IMO. I have SLP Mohawks on my XTX, and they have great flotation in deep snow, and except for the increased steering effort, they are an awesome ski on the trails.

If you want to do a clutch kit, I would talk to Bill Mohr. I haven't done mine (yet), but if I do it, it will be one of his kits. There are threads on this board about the air box mod, and links to a youtube video about how to do it. If you are good with your hands and have the right tools, it is a relatively easy do-it-yourself modification that increases the airflow to give you some extra power.

The LTX is a coupled suspension, and was not designed for deep snow. There is actually a thread going right now talking about removing the coupling blocks, to help get the front end up in the air like an uncoupled suspension. That having been said, if you are serious about off trail, you are going to have to spend some money. I would think seriously about a 1.6" or 1.75" track. My buddy has the 1.6" on his Sidewinder LTX, and it makes a big difference. If you do go with a different track, you might want to consider doing a gearing change as well. Also, the Tuners have got to go, IMO. I have SLP Mohawks on my XTX, and they have great flotation in deep snow, and except for the increased steering effort, they are an awesome ski on the trails.
Thank you vary much for this where I am from we ride a lot of lakes witch means deep snow and lots of slush I need to get this front end up so I dont get stuck

Back