• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2015 Viper XTX MPI Turbo question(s)

ViperTurboPete

TY 4 Stroke Master
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2015 Viper XTX LE MPI Turbo
2022 Expedition Extreme 850
Gentleman,

This is my third season of riding my 2015 MPI Turbo Viper XTX (7500kms) without any issues....basically put gas in it and go. I have had zero time tinkering, modding, reading about the sled until I started to do a teardown on maintenance last week. I read that MPI is out of business and GEMS boxes end up burning out. Ulmer may have Dynojet PC's available. Before I start looking into clutch kits and upgrades, this is going to cost some serious money. Do I invest in this sled to bring it up to snuff or sell it while it still runs. Replacing it will cost some serious dollars I know because I just sold my heavily modded Nytro MTX and bought a brand new Expedition Extreme 850.

According to Hurricane website, they offer an MPI upgrade kit with a modded MPI exhaust, larger injectors and Dynojet PC for about $1850. Apparently it is supposed to bring the engine up to 185 hp. I was under the impression the MPI boasted 180/190hp depending where you read your information. Hurricane is saying the MPI is 148hp. I am going to call and clarify because that sounds disappointing.

Anyway, $1850ish, plus tax and a clutch kit $700ish (Cdn) plus 13% tax is quite a bit of dough to drop into this sled. Cheaper than a newer replacement. I don't know about you guys, but I can't go back to driving a sled without a turbo...

Aside from GEMS eventually burning, how reliable is the MPI/Volvo turbo itself?

Any insights or suggestions would be great because I am dazed and confused on what to do.

Thanks again.

I had the factory spring order MPI turbo on my Viper and I just did the Hurricane upgrade. You have to send your muffler to him and he rebuilds it as well. I needed a new controller as my GEM's died so I figured for another grand it was worth it. And it was. My sled now has way more power and is better on fuel and much more fun to drive. I sent my clutches last year to Thunder Products for a full rebuild as they had over 20,000km on them, so it was just a matter of adding a bit more weight.

If you need a controller, then its worth it in my opinion.

Wow, that sounds impressive! If you are at 20km then it sounds worth it to keep my sled and bring it up to extreme standard.
My GEMS is still working, but if the new controller, injectors and exhaust mod make it that much better it sounds worth it. I will do some research on Thunder Products clutch kit.

I called Dave at Hurricane today and left a message. Looking forward to what he has to say as well.

That is by no way the "extreme" standard. We also have a 14 with the Hurricane 240 Kit on it. It has almost 20000km on it and the last 5 as a turbo. Not worth doing the 16 this way as the used turbo we bought for the 14 had an intercooler already as well as the injectors and muffler and PC5. We only had to put in a head shim and adjust the valves while we were in it.

To be honest, they both are a lot of fun to ride and I actually prefer the 16. probably because it was mine from new. :)

Big,

What speedometer numbers are you generating with you MPI 180? I can only see 180 km top end. My clutched SRX's were much faster on the top.

I am thinking about machining the clutches for 8dn belt, clutch kit (need to know which one is the best), and Hurricane exhaust mod and mapped Dynojet.

This machine has potential to be much faster than it is. I don't think the gearing is limiting at the moment.

I run an 8DN and once when it was -35 I hit 178KM. I think it runs out of gear after that. I know I run out of confidence at that speed. LOL

Back