• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2015 Viper XTX SE Battery Dead, needing "reset"?

dennis42

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2015 Viper
I brought my Viper into a local powersports repair shop to check on a coolant leak. That has been resolved, however, he said the battery went dead. He charged battery and now it will not start -- the engine cranks but the fuel pump does not cycle. He said he did some "calling around" and claims the sled needs to go to a Yamaha dealer to be "reset"?? That sounds crazy. Any thoughts??

I brought my Viper into a local powersports repair shop to check on a coolant leak. That has been resolved, however, he said the battery went dead. He charged battery and now it will not start -- the engine cranks but the fuel pump does not cycle. He said he did some "calling around" and claims the sled needs to go to a Yamaha dealer to be "reset"?? That sounds crazy. Any thoughts??
LOL, I dont think so.. I would guess the relay is stuck or the kill switch is on.

Thanks for the quick feedback. Will the engine turn over if the kill switch is depressed (in kill position)? It's a new sled to me - I've only owned Ski Doo's prior this.

Thanks for the quick feedback. Will the engine turn over if the kill switch is depressed (in kill position)? It's a new sled to me - I've only owned Ski Doo's prior this.
Yes if the kill switched is rocked forward it will crank and not fire.. stupidest thing they have ever done.

Apologies for the delayed follow-up....I took my sled into a Yamaha dealer. They spent 3 hours troubleshooting the issue and determined it was the ECU. $1200 and 3 months later and the issue was resolved (season was over so didn't get to ride it any material distance).

Apologies for the delayed follow-up....I took my sled into a Yamaha dealer. They spent 3 hours troubleshooting the issue and determined it was the ECU. $1200 and 3 months later and the issue was resolved (season was over so didn't get to ride it any material distance).
Wow that’s insane!!

Not sure where in the cities you are, but I highly recommend taking your Viper to Century Powersports in Stillwater. Their service group is awesome and always takes great care of me.

Just a thought but when you had the coolant leak repaired was there any welding involved. The high frequency from tig welding will play hell with the electronics. When ever welding on these sleds always unplug electronics, disconnect battery and place ground clamp as close to weld area as possible.

Back