• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2016.5 Connecting Rod Options

MarkB83

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2016 SR Viper MTX 162 SE
2008 FX Nytro MTX 153 40th Anniversary
Hello everyone, new to the forum (although I do check it out from time to time to get info)

I’m looking at changing the connecting rods on my Viper (05/15 build date) and was wondering if anyone knew if the sidewinder rods were an option?

The part numbers are 8KH-11650-00-00 for the viper and 8KJ-11650-00-00 from the sidewinder rods. I’m just looking at alternatives to the $1,100 CDN Carrillos for running 5-6# of boots.

Also has anyone changed the connecting rods themselves and could give a rough time estimate?

Maybe I am wrong ....but that would of been a 2016 model year viper . Those all were recalled to replace the connecting rods . As they were breaking off under turbo boost and was very marginal under standard power . Yours should have been recalled and the new rods installed . If not check your dealer right away . The replacement rods are specked to handle the Yamaha /MPI turbo option . The 2016 rods were softer metal and was cast with less metal (Save Weight ) the replacements were a lot harder metal ... I saw the difference between the 2015 viper and 2016 viper rod at a dealer ...the 2016 was a lighter duty connecting rod and the bolt shoulders were less also ......you could easily scratch the metal on a 2016 rod with a file ...the 2015 rod would not leave a mark

The recall notice I got on my 2016 was clear that the replacement was only an option if turbo...

Only the motors that had spring ordered the MPI turbo option had the rods replace under recall. The factory rods are supposed to be fine in N/A motors. When mine were changed out, I had (file tested) hardened ones. The new ones were different in shape than the originals.

The sidewinder rods are different than the Viper I believe so they wont be interchangeable as the motors are different. I would do Carrillo's if it was on my dime.

Sadly the recall was only for MPI turbo pre-ordered sleds and the NA ones are not part of the recall (here in Canada anyway).

So the replacement rods (new stock) are equipped to handle the MPI turbo kit (190HP)?

I won't make a decision until this season is over, don't want to be stuck without a sled, but the rods will have to be changed in the future. I like the Viper (had a Nytro before) but it is disappointing about the rods, I just want more snap when I hit the throttle.

MCX also has their "own" rods for 2016-..... Viper/XYZ.

Turbo rods Viper,YXZ1000.jpg

That's good to know! I asked a Canadian MCX distributor and I guess they were not aware.

Maybe I am wrong ....but that would of been a 2016 model year viper . Those all were recalled to replace the connecting rods . As they were breaking off under turbo boost and was very marginal under standard power . Yours should have been recalled and the new rods installed . If not check your dealer right away . The replacement rods are specked to handle the Yamaha /MPI turbo option . The 2016 rods were softer metal and was cast with less metal (Save Weight ) the replacements were a lot harder metal ... I saw the difference between the 2015 viper and 2016 viper rod at a dealer ...the 2016 was a lighter duty connecting rod and the bolt shoulders were less also ......you could easily scratch the metal on a 2016 rod with a file ...the 2015 rod would not leave a mark
The recall only applied to sleds equipped with the dealer installed mpi turbo

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
My bad should of finished reading thread lol

Sidewinder rods are 2 mm shorter than -16 Viper rods. And -16 rods are 2 mm shorter than "Nytro rods"..

The stronger mcx -16 rods works great and are much cheaper than Carrillo.

One quick addition. If I put low compression pistons in when I do the rods but don’t add a turbo right away will the motor run like crap?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It will run like crap.... but why make the effort and changing rods without mounting turbo at the same time.

Money wise it’s quite expensive to do it all at once. Maybe I’ll get everything before I tear it apart.

In the end I’d just want the 190hp kit. It would be great to go bigger but realistically 200hp max.
I think I’ll be ok just replacing the connecting rods for that much power. If I want to go bigger I may have to look at a sidewinder.

just my opinion but it would be cheaper to trade for a sw !
buy the time you buy rods, turbo , clutching. you are looking at around 5000$ Canadian that's if you do the work your self!
then once you get hooked on the power if you are like me you will want more! then you are into buy head shim intercooler injectors (if it mpi turbo pc5 will be required) a additional 2500$ to bump up to 220hp/240hp

Back