• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2016 Apex reverse linkage

Apexpat

VIP Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2013 Apex
The reverse linkage hasn’t been right since i took delivery of this new sled last month. The initial problem was it would sometimes slip from reverse back into forward. The handle wouldn’t quite get into the reverse position. When inspecting I noticed the L shaped link connected to the shift handle had a loose nut. Not knowing much about it, i took it to the dealer and he tightened that nut and adjusted the linkage to proper specs. Was working fine the past few weekends until yesterday. Backed up and pushed the shift handle to the forward position. Reverse beeper went off but noticed it didn’t clank into the forward position. Went to pull forward and the sled was still in reverse with the handle in the forward position. Played with the handle and it wouldn’t engage back into forward. Shut the engine off and restarted. When i restarted the engine, i could hear it engage back into forward. Tried a few more times and same issue. Shift handle in forward position but stuck in reverse. Shut off engine and would pop back into forward when i restarted the engine. I don’t understand how shutting down the engine and restarting solves the issue? When I inspected the L shaped bracket nut connected to the shift handle is loose again. Is this the problem or out of adjustment again? This nut isn’t easy to get a wrench on.

Last edited:

Definitely take it back and have them do it right. Express your concern about their service... You might get a free oil change for you inconvenience.

Have a '13 XTX, changed the drivers myself this season, after putting chain case back together, no issues. Reverse worked smoothly. Subsequently threw a stud through the heat exchanger , brought to dealer to fix, track had to come out due to hole location. Changed track as well. Back from dealer, reverse would grind, pop-out, or stick in reverse. Not confident in dealer due to speedometer gear and bolt "coming loose" 1/4 mile after pick-up. Anyways, measured horizontal and vertical within specs. Issues still there. Subsequently lengthed horizontal a little. Last two rides worked smoothly. Little longer than the 27mm spec. This is what worked for me.

if it shifts when motor is shut off it is like steiner said, belt is too tight and needs to be adjusted.

Chain tension?

Update on this issue. I tighted the loose L shaped linkage nut connected to the shift handle and works perfectly now. Obviously the tolerances are tight and everything has to be adjusted perfectly to function correctly. It was just loose enough to be out of spec. The nut/bolt I’m talking about is #31 in the diagram.

Attachments

• 9A5B43AE-4317-47CD-A107-50C114407B34.jpeg
    9A5B43AE-4317-47CD-A107-50C114407B34.jpeg
    76.2 KB · Views: 254
Thats the one, after the second time it came loose I dropped a little red locktight on it been good so far! Even though its a lock nut after it came loose the second time and I could not use reverse for a thousand miles (need long wrenches that no one had!) I said not again! You don't realize how often you use reverse! So instead of backing into a hotel parking spot at night I drove in and turned out till I thought the front was far enough from the curb, then picked the back up and moved it around so I could drive out in the morning. Getting fuel became more of a challenge as well!

Check the bushing that the linkage pivots on. Mine was shot with 3,000 miles. Mine had the same symptoms. Made a new bushing and works great. That linkage arm should be nice and tight. If you grab ahold of it and you can move it around, the bushing is sloppy

Back