• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2016 Vector reviews

greatwhite89

TY 4 Stroke Junkie
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2020 Yamaha RS Venture TF
WEBSITE
www.snowflapjunkie.com
Looking at the possibility of spring ordering a 2016 Vector XTX. I have only been able to find one review of the sled so far though (a short article from supertrax). I'm hoping to find more test ride reviews to help me make an informed decision. Anyone know of any reviews out there?

Looking at the possibility of spring ordering a 2016 Vector XTX. I have only been able to find one review of the sled so far though (a short article from supertrax). I'm hoping to find more test ride reviews to help me make an informed decision. Anyone know of any reviews out there?
Get the LE with the Dampers

My 2014 Vector LTX has dampeners. Was a factory demo sled that had them. What do you want to know about them? I have posted my feelings about them in the General forum.

I guess mainly can you tell a difference in how smooth the sled rides? Basically, do they do what they claim to do?

Do you have any mods, add ond to your Vector? Talked to Allen Ulmer and he said clutching really wakes it up. Happy Easter!

I guess mainly can you tell a difference in how smooth the sled rides? Basically, do they do what they claim to do?

Do you have any mods, add ond to your Vector? Talked to Allen Ulmer and he said clutching really wakes it up. Happy Easter!

No mods other than a 13mm sway bar and I went back to the single keel Yamaha skis with Doolies for the last 250 miles of the 2200 I put on my 14. Extra tall windshield, etc. Modding this engine (header, exhaust) gets you next to nothing other than you can say "my Vector is modded".

IMO...if you push the chassis to it's limits them they MIGHT make a difference. But being that this is really a trail sled....I noticed nothing with them. Plain and simple....they are not worth the added expense if you are thinking of adding them. Track howl and everything else is still there.

As to "really waking up this sled"...I have all the respect in the world for Allen but this sled is not a Viper or any other "fast" trail sled. It's a cruiser sled. People have been offering clutch kits for Vector's since day 1 and the only real benefit people seem to see if some corner to corner improvement. "Really wakes it up"....he is in the biz to sell stuff.

To me the best things you can do to a Vector is:

1. Change the skis (I'm not a fan of the Tuners)
2. Change the front swaybar to the 13mm size
3. Modify the seat.....it's too low and too mushy (no change on the 16's either...at least the ones at the shows)
4. Add Hibshman's $30 primary clutch spring that lowers the engagement RPM.

Oh yea...before I forget. I wouldn't touch the new rear skid. Let them get a year on it to work out any kinks. Personally, for the kind of riding I do (big mile touring) if I was going to buy the sled, I'd find a if a replacement rear shock for it was available. IF the Fox Float fails, you are screwed. I don't want to be in the middle of no where when the shock blows and have to ride it with no suspension until I can find a place to get it fixed.

Off the pulpit now.....sorry!

Last edited:
Thanks for the honest info.Maybe I should just stick with my Viper, but I really do like the quality build of the pure Japanese sleds. I agree, the seat is too low. I sat on one at the Wausau show and it really felt different than the Viper. Did you add extra foam to your seat? Where did you have it done, if you did.

I really like the seat and seating position of the Viper. Feels much like my 05 Vector that has the taller/firmer Apex Mtn. seat conversion.

As no aftermarket company (Boss or WRP) makes a higher seat for the Vectors with EPS, this summer a local auto restoration shop is going to custom cut some foam for me and add on to the seat cover if needed. They estimate about $350 max which is in line with the cost of a WRP seat. I want mine 3" taller, firmer and about 1" wider.

What's with your Viper that makes you think of selling it?

Viper runs great. Have 1,000 trouble free miles on it. Love the look, riding style and handling. I'm not brand loyal (have mainly ran Polaris) but after going to Wausau sneak peek I really noticed the differences in fit and finish between Viper and pure Yamaha models. The Viper is 75% Cat (which is fine), but I really took a liking to the Vector at the show. The candy red LE model looks great. I also want to get in to long backpacking trips next winter and believe Vector is better suited for this. The mileage king Nick Keller drives a Vector lol.

So, nothing against the Viper, it just seems like a great time go purchase a Vector with great deal the spring power surge offers.

I was leaning towards the Apex as well for its raw power and new updates, but it's a bit too pricey. Other than power, I don't think I will be sacrificing much getting the Vector over the apex.

Viper runs great. Have 1,000 trouble free miles on it. Love the look, riding style and handling. I'm not brand loyal (have mainly ran Polaris) but after going to Wausau sneak peek I really noticed the differences in fit and finish between Viper and pure Yamaha models. The Viper is 75% Cat (which is fine), but I really took a liking to the Vector at the show. The candy red LE model looks great. I also want to get in to long backpacking trips next winter and believe Vector is better suited for this. The mileage king Nick Keller drives a Vector lol.

So, nothing against the Viper, it just seems like a great time go purchase a Vector with great deal the spring power surge offers.

I was leaning towards the Apex as well for its raw power and new updates, but it's a bit too pricey. Other than power, I don't think I will be sacrificing much getting the Vector over the apex.

The Vector is no slouch, it will stay with the Apex until about 70-80 mph and you'll love the power compared to your Viper once broken in.

That's great to hear Irv. Wish they offered the LE 146" spring order package with a 1.25" track as I do mainly trail riding, but I will have to make do with the 1.75" for now. Can I expect full break in around 1,500 miles?

To the above comment that is the farthest thing I have ever heard from the truth. The vectors come to life with a few mods and they have a lot to gain in the clutching department.

To the above comment that is the farthest thing I have ever heard from the truth. The vectors come to life with a few mods and they have a lot to gain in the clutching department.

116 -- with all due respect to your racing experience and to those who you support.......using the term "comes to life" makes it sound like it gains 10-20 hp and is pure exaggeration. Other than a header, pipes (maybe an intake) and a Power Commander what else can you do to get incremental HP gains? Might as well go by an Apex if you do all this for what it's going to cost you. But it is 89's money and not mine or yours.

Irv - "you'll love the power compared to your Viper once broken in"? The same motor is in the Viper and Vector. Yes different chassis and such but same engine with different EFI systems. I own a Vec and rode a Viper plenty. You will feel the weight of the Vector chassis vs. the Viper chassis.

89 - based on what you've posted you WANT a Vector. Go buy one.....you'll never know what you'll have until you try it. You can always sell it as it seems like you are in a financial position to do such things. FWIW - my engine felt like it loosed up around 1200 miles.

I'm not hear to start and argument with the combination of parts you will be beating apexs.If you have no expirence with the parts or setting them up you shouldn't post false info.A well set up vector will beat a stock one about 10 lengths in 1000ft on the lake.The vectors are poorly clutched from the factory unlike the apexs so there is a lot to be gained just right there.

I'm not hear to start and argument with the combination of parts you will be beating apexs.If you have no expirence with the parts or setting them up you shouldn't post false info.A well set up vector will beat a stock one about 10 lengths in 1000ft on the lake.The vectors are poorly clutched from the factory unlike the apexs so there is a lot to be gained just right there.

I don't post false info....never have.....never will. It will start a debate with you since you are saying I'm posting false info...I take this seriously. It's my opinion after 20K miles of trail riding experience combined with friends who have tried "stuff" on their Vector's. Vector's are poorly clutched? For what...racing 1000' on a lake? Maybe, but how many people here set up their Vectors for lake racing? 2%?

If they are so poorly clutched why did Ulmer back down his offerings from 3 stages to just 1? Why arent' Ulmer, Schmidt, Hauck, etc. screaming about the gains to be made with their kits? Because for us regular trail riders the corner to corner acceleration gain aren't worth the money.

It seems like the Viper is a whole nother story but we're not talking about them here.

Back