• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2016 Vector stalls at idle...

JasonR

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2016 Vector XTX LE 1.75
I have recently bought a 2016 Vector XTX LE.

It seems to stall when idling. I find I have to hold the throttle slightly to keep the RPM up to keep it running. Once fully warm it will idle but will still stall intermittently.

Any tips?

Threads like yours seem to be epidemic this year. Not to say your case fits the pattern exactly but it may. If you have bought a second hand sled, often they have seen little use or little recent use and may not have been receiving the attention that these machines require. SO, get rid of the old gas, fill it with fresh, give it a good shot of Seafoam and run the snot out of it.

Then, at your first opportunity, fully charge the battery and have it load tested and if it isn't a solid good pop for a new one. Hang out around here for a while and you'll see how often its bad gas or weak battery. Welcome to TY, I'm now off to google maps to look up Kawartha Lakes.

Threads like yours seem to be epidemic this year. Not to say your case fits the pattern exactly but it may. If you have bought a second hand sled, often they have seen little use or little recent use and may not have been receiving the attention that these machines require. SO, get rid of the old gas, fill it with fresh, give it a good shot of Seafoam and run the snot out of it.

Then, at your first opportunity, fully charge the battery and have it load tested and if it isn't a solid good pop for a new one. Hang out around here for a while and you'll see how often its bad gas or weak battery. Welcome to TY, I'm now off to google maps to look up Kawartha Lakes.

Hey Jason R, I'm from Bancroft. We got some snow!! Use premium gas and seafoam. If yours was like mine, a 2009 last year for carbs, I would remove the float bowls and spray carb/injector cleaner (Yamaha one is the best!) up through the main jets and blow out with compressed air, just in case. But with fuel injection, no worries! Welcome to the Yammy club!

I am in the process of trying to burn off the old fuel that is in it. This thing is a far cry from the old Mach Z days. Starting to wonder if the gauge is broken? LOL The weather isn't helping much either, with all this rain.

I was reading and seems that a lot of people have a problem with the TORS system causing stalls. I will syphon the remainder and refill with some premium and foam it and see if that does the trick. If not I will start looking further into it.

Hey Jason R, I'm from Bancroft. We got some snow!! Use premium gas and seafoam. If yours was like mine, a 2009 last year for carbs, I would remove the float bowls and spray carb/injector cleaner (Yamaha one is the best!) up through the main jets and blow out with compressed air, just in case. But with fuel injection, no worries! Welcome to the Yammy club!

Bancroft is going to be one of my first bigger rides for the season as soon as the snow starts sticking..

Going to do a few local runs first to make sure all the cob webs are blown out of this sled..

Go into diagnostics to see what percent the throttle is set at while closed.

According to the dealers service record. The machine got a full tune up when it was traded in.

I trust that as much as I do a Chinese hooker with a cough and runny nose.

Put some new plugs in it to eliminate that possibility. They are cheap.

Decided to run through some fuel conditioner as has been suggested. Also bought new plugs. Will install them after after im sure all the old gas is gone.

On a plus, I have gotten out for a total of about 300KM so far and it runs great when warm. Fuel milage is amazing and it has tons of power. All in all I am very happy with the purchase.

I trust that as much as I do a Chinese hooker with a cough and runny nose.

Put some new plugs in it to eliminate that possibility. They are cheap.

Good news; 1 hour and a skinned knuckle later I got the plugs changed. As you guessed they were not replaced. Heavily carbon crusted and tops showing a bit of corrosion.

Bad news; still not wanting to idle...

So had a Yamaha Tech take a look at the machine; good news is he found the problem. Bad news is, its a huge job.

Looks like the exhaust valves are all out of adjustment.

Flat rate calls for 14 Hours. The entire top half of the machine as well as the cross member have t be removed to access the valve cover.

So far it looks like the dealer (SM Sport) is going to help me out since thanks to the lockdown I can't take it to QC and they are going to work with my local dealer. Just trying to haggle out a deal on what they want to pay verses what the local shop wants to charge.

Back