• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2016 Viper connecting rods

Baillie78

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2016 SR Viper Mtx LE 153"
New to this forum. I just bought a 16' viper mtx le. Love the sled, huge improvements. With that being said, I also bought a 180 mpi kit for it. As we all know the connecting rods are failing, so if you want to safely run the turbo kit you must replace them. My question is what am I getting myself into, I'm mechanically inclined I just am nervous to tear open a motor on a brand new sled, any tips or tricks to know about before I start this summer project??? Also what do you guys recommend to use for the new rods?? Any help is appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would check to see if it has the "old" motor or "new" motor first.
If it is an early build then it may have the old motor which is the same as 2015 and prior Vipers and Nytro's. The engine version can be identified by looking at the valve cover. If the valve cover gasket has the black rubber half moons, then it's an early build (old motor) and your good to go.
The attached pic shows what to look for and is a 2014 engine.

Attachments

• IMG_3033.JPG
    IMG_3033.JPG
    105.4 KB · Views: 497
I checked my vin with Yamaha and it is the new motor I guess. I'll look at that gasket. How hard is it to pull these things apart??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And even then not all new motors had bad rods. You can identify at least #3 by removing the flywheel sidecover and looking through a hole. Look for a black colored rod and touch it with a file. If file just glides off you have good rod and according to Hurricane if one is good all are good if one is bad all are bad. To answer your question of how hard it is. Its easy but putting it back together is where it gets difficult. If you get it done right I would trust you to do any motor in the world including Ferraris and such. Just have to pay attention to tolerances. No shortcuts. I have always liked Carillo and CP pistons. If you have it apart might as well do it right and anticipate more mods in future. Overbuild it. Good luck!

Last edited:
How the.... F..&*^%*&^%&^ do you guys learn all thus stuff????/

I'm not worthy...should go back to 2/'s

I'd consider doing low compression pistons too if you do end up changing the rods encase you want to crank up the boost (you WILL) later. Hell, I'd want lower compression pistons at 6psi or more instead of a head shim, retarded timing, or overly rich tune to keep it alive anyhow. I debated a long time on getting a leftover late 16' (mtx 153/xtx) , ended up with a left over 14' (xtx) instead just to make sure I had a good engine for MILD boost.

Back