• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2016 VIPER LTX-DX SKIS

JCviper

Extreme
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2016 SR Viper LTX-DX
YAHOO
jcstang06@yahoo.com
TWITTER
Jcgoblue2
are the 2016s supposed to be a upgrade from the previous? Because of the crappy winter I was only able put on 85 miles since I bought it. I was wondering if I should try adjusting the block first before running out and getting new carbides. Which carbide should be replaced, inner or outer? both? I will not be running studs. Other than the occasional darting and hard turning effort(and I know this depends on snow on the trail) its not too bad, but I want it the best it can be. I am 5'11 250. Other than the minor steering issues I love this sled!! very responsive and excellent suspension and overall comfort.

Last edited:

You would have the Tuner Skis right? In 16 they got removable loops and stronger construction. I am sure some guys are happy with Tuners and have some Carbide suggestions. I never had them so not sure.

I found the tuners fine for me. I ran 6" square Carbide inside and 2 " round on out side and she was excellent for my type of riding. I do a lot of trails and some off trail.

I found the tuners fine for me. I ran 6" square Carbide inside and 2 " round on out side and she was excellent for my type of riding. I do a lot of trails and some off trail.
Square? What brand and or part number? Round?

After reading a ton of posts here about Studboy Shaper Bars I decided to give them a try on my 2015 tuners. They work pretty good for what we ride here in southern Ontario. I'm not a technical rider at all but they really help the front end bite in the woods. I have a studded 141"...

ay6-6580 Woodys is this is the square part number 6 inch carbide. I have these on the inside and stock 2 inch on outside. I have alot of loose snow on smooth trails here in the northeast. I will be adding snowtrackers this winter. I just felt the sled pushed to much in the corners. I am up 1 hole on limiter also. I considered an 8 inch for the inside but and going snow tracker route. Im 6' 250lbs.

Best of luck..

The stock carbides are laughably bad.

I put the shaper bars on and it was a big improvement in consistency. I'd love to try out the curves or pilots but probably not this year unless I find a good deal.

You would have the Tuner Skis right? In 16 they got removable loops and stronger construction. I am sure some guys are happy with Tuners and have some Carbide suggestions. I never had them so not sure.

I've got a 2016 (2016.5 engine..) and my loops are not removable?

I have a 2015 that came with Tuners, and I ran them with shapers. Then I bought a used 2014 XTX for my grandson. We put some SLP Mohawks on the XTX (awesome choice, but that is a whole other story). I put the Cat skis that came on the XTX on my 2015 with Snow Trackers, and now the sled rides on rails in all conditions. My best friend tried out my sled, and immediately ordered a set of Cat skis and Snow Tracker's for his wife's 2016 LTX LE.

In all honesty, has anyone found a set of carbides that will prevent Tuners from pushing in the corners, particularly in loose snow? I now own four sets of Tuners, and they are all sitting in my garage waiting until the day I put them back on to trade in or sell one of my Vipers. I have no complaints about my Vipers' handling, as long as they have single keel skis and good carbides.

Tell us more about your experience with the SLP Mohawks on a Viper. Thanks

I have a 2015 that came with Tuners, and I ran them with shapers. Then I bought a used 2014 XTX for my grandson. We put some SLP Mohawks on the XTX (awesome choice, but that is a whole other story). I put the Cat skis that came on the XTX on my 2015 with Snow Trackers, and now the sled rides on rails in all conditions. My best friend tried out my sled, and immediately ordered a set of Cat skis and Snow Tracker's for his wife's 2016 LTX LE.

In all honesty, has anyone found a set of carbides that will prevent Tuners from pushing in the corners, particularly in loose snow? I now own four sets of Tuners, and they are all sitting in my garage waiting until the day I put them back on to trade in or sell one of my Vipers. I have no complaints about my Vipers' handling, as long as they have single keel skis and good carbides.

Tell us more about your experience with the SLP Mohawks on a Viper. Thanks
We have two Viper XTX's with Mohawks and Bergstrom triple points. From the first day that we rode them in fresh deep snow, throughout the remainder of the season, in every imaginable condition, they were flawless. I originally put the Mohawks on my LTX DX, and they held great in the corners, but there was some steering effort required. I don't know whether it is the uncoupled suspension of the XTX, or what the reason is, but there seems to be less steering effort with the Mohawks on those sleds, and they perform well both on and off the trail. It is a wide ski with a lot of flotation, but despite the long-track, I have never had a trail sled that held its line in corners like the XTX's with Mohawks do. I shimmed the skis as recommended by Bergstrom (there is still some minor darting depending upon conditions). My stepson rode my LTX with us several times last year; he is a good experienced rider and he fell in love with the Vipers (the LTX has Arctic Cat skis with Snow trackers) but he kept saying he was having a hard time keeping up with the XTX's because they handled so much better. (Of course, he might have been making excuses for why he was always third in line.) I am sure that there must be other skis that will work just as well on the Vipers for trail riding (a lot of people rave about the Curves), but we love our Mohawks.

Cat ski, used on the zr 9000? Or do you have part numbers? These are single keel right?

Back