• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2016 Viper Stall on acceleration

ThoobHertz

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2016 Viper LTX SE
Good afternoon everyone, long time follower of this forum, decided to sign up as I'm having some problems with my Viper that I can't seem to find a solution for.
2016 LTX SE
I'm hoping somebody can maybe help out. I just bought this Viper about 10 months ago and I have been driving it since December with no issues. So there was one incident where I rolled over on the right side, just enough for the oil light to come on. I flipped it up on its side, and a buddy of mine was with me, and he reset the oil light, started back up and off we went. I've since been driving it for a month and have probably put on 1000 km so far since then. Yesterday morning we were out on the trails, and on some of the corners it sounded like the engine was going to stall but as I gave it some throttle, it got going again. This was probably about 50 km into the trip. When we came to an intersection, it died on me. I was able to start it, with no problem, and it would idle no problem, but as soon as I went to take off and gave it some gas, it would stall. Ultimately I ended up getting towed back home and now it's in my trailer the next day and it's still doing it. I checked my oil level and it was under the normal reading on the dipstick, so I added some to bring it back up. started the sled let it warm up it was running no problem but as soon as I tried to give it gas, it stalled again. I took the belt off, and started it up. I cranked the throttle hard, it's spotted and then went. Not physically moved, cause the belt is off but you know what I mean. So I let off the throttle and it was still idling, but as soon as I tried to give a gas lightly, it's stalled again. very frustrating and I have no idea why it's doing this and there's no warning lights on the dash. The sled only has about 3,000 km on it but no more warranty as it's 5 years old.
Link to the video here.

Throttle position sensor? Had that issue with my M1100 previously. Does it click when you move the throttle lever? Or maybe exhaust leak, spark plugs?

Throttle position sensor? Had that issue with my M1100 previously. Does it click when you move the throttle lever? Or maybe exhaust leak, spark plugs?

No clicking moving the throttle. I haven't checked the spark plugs, but I'm thinking if it was one of them I would hear hesitation while idling no?
I'm reading the thread right now on the oil separator, so I'm going to try to take a look at that. I'm just having a problem right now finding a tool that fits behind the exhaust pipe to get the cover off over the separator. I'm not sure what other kind of sensors are on this sled as it is new to me. I've always had older two-stroke sleds

Throttle position sensor? ?
I agree, that's where I'd start. Also check throttle cable slack to make sure there isn't something wacky with the TORS.
Doesn't sound like anything related to oil level, but maybe you got some snow packed in somewhere or tweaked something out of adjustment when you stuck it in the ding weeds... Make sure the air intake for the air box isn't packed closed off with ice.

Last edited:
X2 what mbarryracing said. My 16 just needed a cable adjustment to cure this.

So it looks like what happened, was the last time I took the throttle block apart, I put it back together and managed to pinch one of the wires attached to the kill switch. I've since then readjusted all the wires inside the block and put it back together, and now the sled is running fine. Will be looking into it further.

Last edited:
Had a similar problem with my 2016 LTX after tipping over on the right side. Took it to the dealer as I could not get it to run properly. He Played with the thumb throttle and just reset it on the cable at the throttle. Took him about 5 seconds...perfect after that.

TORS on these machines are very touchy your better to run the throttle cable a little on the lose side rather then having it to tight. If it's to tight it will cause all kinds of problems one being hard starting. This will also happen out of the blue for no reason it's like the throttle cable tightens up over time.

Funny you guys just mentioned that. I was at a buddies last night and that's what we determined was the issue. The TORS was definitely the issue. Adjusted the cable and all good. Thankfully it was a simple fix.

Back