• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2016 Yamaha Vector LE Rear Skid Questions

Snowfreak47

Veteran
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2016 RS Vector LE
So I picked up a 16 Vector LE this past week. I knowingly purchased it with the "stock" rear Fox air shock. I weigh 185 on a good day and 190 if I ate a little to much pizza and beer. I don't saddle bag and don't wear a back pack. Generally speaking I ride at a pretty leisurely (slow) pace and if the trail gets nasty I'm not catching any air. I am under the impression the "stock" air shock is wimpy and sucks when riding aggressively. Local dealer thinks I will be fine with stock shock but recommends putting in max air pressure of 300 psi. Seems to be counter to the limited info out there. Any opinions or recommendations on setting the stock shock at 300? I can upgrade? to the other Fox air shock for 500 bucks. This is supposedly a deeply discounted price from Yamaha so you could get a shock that would handle aggressive riding. If the ride quality is very similar when ridden leisurely I'd rather save the 500 bucks. If it's night and day difference I'll make the change. Keep in mind I am coming off an 11 Vector short track and loved the ride quality from the mono shock.

So I picked up a 16 Vector LE this past week. I knowingly purchased it with the "stock" rear Fox air shock. I weigh 185 on a good day and 190 if I ate a little to much pizza and beer. I don't saddle bag and don't wear a back pack. Generally speaking I ride at a pretty leisurely (slow) pace and if the trail gets nasty I'm not catching any air. I am under the impression the "stock" air shock is wimpy and sucks when riding aggressively. Local dealer thinks I will be fine with stock shock but recommends putting in max air pressure of 300 psi. Seems to be counter to the limited info out there. Any opinions or recommendations on setting the stock shock at 300? I can upgrade? to the other Fox air shock for 500 bucks. This is supposedly a deeply discounted price from Yamaha so you could get a shock that would handle aggressive riding. If the ride quality is very similar when ridden leisurely I'd rather save the 500 bucks. If it's night and day difference I'll make the change. Keep in mind I am coming off an 11 Vector short track and loved the ride quality from the mono shock.

My understanding is that shocks really sucks when the trails get rough. I have changed them over to the better shock and the owners were extremely happy and they stated it was night and day. That shock should have been updated with the exchange program, I thought it was no cost to the owner, but I could be wrong. Tech Exchange number S2017-005

Original shock best ride is at 185 psi with rear of sled off the ground.
Hope you get the updated shock.

Upgrade is way better than original set up. I bought my '16 Last winter and almost wanted to list it for sale after my first ride. I replaced shock before my second ride and can't believe the difference. I too just like to leisurely ride, but, the trails aren't always pristine.

well i would tell you to get the up graded shock.

have 16 apex xtx with single shot bought new in nov 2018. you can ride with the stock one but it packs in on multiple bumps at anything other than a crawl. best i could get was 2 bumps before it would buck up and kick my butt off of the seat and this was at the beginning of the day after the groomer went through. my knees and back where really hurting at the end of that ty ride even with the riser and the seat concepts seat. dealer went to bat for me as the upgrade was not covered any longer in jan 2019 and got the upgraded shock. set air pressure for my weight and set it as mrsled reccomended and loving it ride wise.

Ok, new upgraded shock it is. I am glad I asked. I'd hate to have upgraded the sled only to have downgraded the rear suspension. Thank You for the replies.

That shock should have been updated with the exchange program, I thought it was no cost to the owner, but I could be wrong. Tech Exchange number S2017-005

My understanding is that Yamaha only offered the exchange program to Apex owners. I know there's a user on here that has two 16 Vectors and was P.O. at Yamaha for not extending this program to include the Vectors since it was the same skid and same issue with the same shock. I'm just glad my 18 came with the updated shock. ;)!

Ok, new upgraded shock it is. I am glad I asked. I'd hate to have upgraded the sled only to have downgraded the rear suspension. Thank You for the replies.

Here's a pic of the two with the updated one on top:

shock.JPG

So after talking with multiple dealers, I think I have a grasp of how the upgrade shock program was suppose to work. Don't quote me on this just passing along what I remember (my CRS is getting worse by the day). The "18 Apex, 50th Anniversary Edition has the good shock right from the factory. As a good will gesture 17 Apex owners were offered this shock upgrade free o charge with the exception of install labor. Some dealers installed no charge, some charged the labor. Of course now 16 Apex owners are feeling left out in the dark and if they made enough noise they were getting the shock. Not sure who was absorbing the cost on the 16 models (dealer or yammi) but either way some 16 Apex owners got the shock upgrade. All the dealers said the Vectors were never part of the shock upgrade program. Of course if Billy Bob who just bought 25 Yammi's from his local dealer over the last 10 years wanted the upgrade on his newer Vector, than that may have very well happened. Once again not sure who absorbed all the cost (Dealer or Yamaha) on the Vectors but either way they were not supposed to be covered. I have 3 strikes against me for getting a "free upgrade" One, its a Vector which were never technically covered. Two, I bought this private sale, I have no leverage with a dealer. Three, this upgrade program didn't happen just yesterday. In fact the reality of it sinks in when you stop to consider that sadly neither the Apex or Vector are available for sale any longer. Oh and for any of you young bucks or for that matter old bucks that don't know what "CRS" is (Can't remember Chit). Trust me your day is coming!!

So after talking with multiple dealers, I think I have a grasp of how the upgrade shock program was suppose to work. Don't quote me on this just passing along what I remember (my CRS is getting worse by the day). The "18 Apex, 50th Anniversary Edition has the good shock right from the factory. As a good will gesture 17 Apex owners were offered this shock upgrade free o charge with the exception of install labor. Some dealers installed no charge, some charged the labor. Of course now 16 Apex owners are feeling left out in the dark and if they made enough noise they were getting the shock. Not sure who was absorbing the cost on the 16 models (dealer or yammi) but either way some 16 Apex owners got the shock upgrade. All the dealers said the Vectors were never part of the shock upgrade program. Of course if Billy Bob who just bought 25 Yammi's from his local dealer over the last 10 years wanted the upgrade on his newer Vector, than that may have very well happened. Once again not sure who absorbed all the cost (Dealer or Yamaha) on the Vectors but either way they were not supposed to be covered. I have 3 strikes against me for getting a "free upgrade" One, its a Vector which were never technically covered. Two, I bought this private sale, I have no leverage with a dealer. Three, this upgrade program didn't happen just yesterday. In fact the reality of it sinks in when you stop to consider that sadly neither the Apex or Vector are available for sale any longer. Oh and for any of you young bucks or for that matter old bucks that don't know what "CRS" is (Can't remember Chit). Trust me your day is coming!!
My understanding is that Yamaha only offered the exchange program to Apex owners. I know there's a user on here that has two 16 Vectors and was P.O. at Yamaha for not extending this program to include the Vectors since it was the same skid and same issue with the same shock. I'm just glad my 18 came with the updated shock. ;)!

I am the Whiner. Who was pissed at Yamaha. Poor R&D my opinion. Bought the first one for my Wife. Who has MS. She never complained. The programmable throttle and Power Steering must have kept her quiet. Blew up my 10 year old modified Cat. First trip to the UP. Told her I just want to turn the key and go. So I bought a new 2017 Vector. Right away I felt my 2001 Cat had a better rear suspension than my 2017 Vector. I want to thank everybody on here. I bought an updated shock from Travis. Put 2 miles on it. Wow! Hoping to afford Hygears solution for the second one. That way If the single air shock blows. One one of them. I at least have an option to tow it out of the woods.

Have a 16 Vector 129 here. Just put a new Updated rear Fox air shock on it. Lots of pumping to do to get it up to 230 psi. My great aunts first cousin wants to know why I cant use my compressor to do the first 150 psi ?

Have a 16 Vector 129 here. Just put a new Updated rear Fox air shock on it. Lots of pumping to do to get it up to 230 psi. My great aunts first cousin wants to know why I cant use my compressor to do the first 150 psi ?

I would think that you could easily accidentally blow the shock if your not careful. When I installed the updated shock in my Wife’s sled. I first pumped it up with the back of the sled off the ground. I just did not try to go to the the recommended pressure but lower. Then I put it down and built it up from there. It is a pain it is like a Michael Jackson song. Won’t go there. Might get cancelled. But many people have complained about the pump action on here. And the advice I have seen on this. Is correct. It is hard work. But it is doable. If that helps.

Ha...They do take for ever to pump up!

If any one is reading this and in need of an updated shock I do have a good used updated shock here if someone is looking for one.

Back